Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brave Star question

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 25 oz “Sumo” jeans. I’m loving the 12.5 oz Brave Stars, would love to know what I’m in for.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
I have not tried their 25 oz jeans but I do own a pair of the 21.5 oz and they were not too bad to break in. I do own a pair of 25 oz. Ciano Farmer denim and those took a long time to get comfortable.

By a long time, do you means weeks of continuous wear to stop feeling like plywood?

Sonero

Practically Family
I have a pair. They are thick but not Iron Heart thick. A lower quality denim than Iron Heart but IMO much better than Naked and Famous.
I am very thin but I need a True Straight fit. The Slim Fit is CRAZY LEAN.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
I have a pair. They are thick but not Iron Heart thick. A lower quality denim than Iron Heart but IMO much better than Naked and Famous.
I am very thin but I need a True Straight fit. The Slim Fit is CRAZY LEAN.

Maybe equivalent to 21 oz IH?

Sonero

Practically Family
interesting. You’d suggest going for the IH—the difference is that significant?
In situations like this you go for what you can afford. Can't go wrong with IH but you pay a premium for it. IMO paying IH prices for the 25oz denim is WORTH it. $400 for 21 oz.....depends on the fit. Sometimes a good fit is worth the money. I am finding this out especially with T Shirts.
If you have never owned a pair of jeans that thick before start with Bravestar to see if you like it. You could be hemmed and out the door for $168.

Sonero

Practically Family
interesting. You’d suggest going for the IH—the difference is that significant?

Again if this is you first try at heavyweight jeans go with the cheaper ones (BS). If you know the 21oz is definitely for you and you have $400 to spend you CANNOT go wrong with IH. Not to mention those guys are fit Nazis and they won't let you leave without the right fit so you know they will look great on you.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
Exactly. That and struggling mightily with the button fly every time I went to the bathroom. At least a couple weeks of serious work and finally they began to give. At this point they are quite comfortable.

But the payoff is huge. Nice, thick and soft (eventually)--probably last forever provided you don't treat them badly.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
Again if this is you first try at heavyweight jeans go with the cheaper ones (BS). If you know the 21oz is definitely for you and you have $400 to spend you CANNOT go wrong with IH. Not to mention those guys are fit Nazis and they won't let you leave without the right fit so you know they will look great on you.

Did you end up with 634's yourself, or 666?

Sonero

Practically Family
Exactly. That and struggling mightily with the button fly every time I went to the bathroom. At least a couple weeks of serious work and finally they began to give. At this point they are quite comfortable.

I would go as far as saying PIANF
Did you end up with 634's yourself, or 666?

Make sure you get your exact waist size. I am a 32 but all they had in stock were a pair at 31.8 " in waist and I now wear it with the top button open. If anything on thicker denim weights go up from your waist size + just a few mm more to account for thickness.

roadking04

Practically Family
I am new to the raw denim scene. Now that I have a couple of pairs, I don't think I will go back to "mall jeans" again. I bought my first pair of Bravestar 21oz jeans last fall. I thought they would work good on the bike and they do. I don't really need chaps anymore when the temps drop in the low 40's.

The 21oz BS were a challenge. They were almost impossible to take on and off at first. Like ElMarro said, I couldn't even button them up at first. I took a screwdriver and twisted and worked the button holes just to make them function. I then went on a 45 minute walk to break them in and they left blood blisters on the back of my knees. lol. They are the real deal. After a month or so they started to break in A LITTLE.

I recently purchased a pair of their Cone Mills 15oz denim. I am currently working on them. Wearable right out of the package. A little stiff, but no big deal. Night and day compared to the heavyweights.

I would say go for the sumos. Go big or go home. I will probably go with the 25oz if they have them for the fall riding season. Good luck with the break in. Let us know how it goes.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
I am new to the raw denim scene. Now that I have a couple of pairs, I don't think I will go back to "mall jeans" again. I bought my first pair of Bravestar 21oz jeans last fall. I thought they would work good on the bike and they do. I don't really need chaps anymore when the temps drop in the low 40's.

The 21oz BS were a challenge. They were almost impossible to take on and off at first. Like ElMarro said, I couldn't even button them up at first. I took a screwdriver and twisted and worked the button holes just to make them function. I then went on a 45 minute walk to break them in and they left blood blisters on the back of my knees. lol. They are the real deal. After a month or so they started to break in A LITTLE.

I recently purchased a pair of their Cone Mills 15oz denim. I am currently working on them. Wearable right out of the package. A little stiff, but no big deal. Night and day compared to the heavyweights.

I would say go for the sumos. Go big or go home. I will probably go with the 25oz if they have them for the fall riding season. Good luck with the break in. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like a suckfest! But worthwhile in the end. I went ahead and ordered a pair of IH 666 25 oz. I am very curious to experience the Iron Heart fit--but thanks to you guys, I feel like I know what I'm signing up for in terms of break-in.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

I dread wearing the 21oz brave star jeans that I got lol I dont think I'll get anything over than 20oz next time I get a pair. I also did get the 15oz cone mills in a slim straight cut and that's much more tolerable.

Make sure you get your exact waist size. I am a 32 but all they had in stock were a pair at 31.8 " in waist and I now wear it with the top button open. If anything on thicker denim weights go up from your waist size + just a few mm more to account for thickness.

That's what's nice with buttons lol you can leave the top button alone and cover it up with the belt buckle

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
I dread wearing the 21oz brave star jeans that I got lol I dont think I'll get anything over than 20oz next time I get a pair. I also did get the 15oz cone mills in a slim straight cut and that's much more tolerable.

How long did you wear your Cone Mills before washing/soaking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner