Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brave Star question

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
Weight only tells half the story. I had a pair of 18oz with an open weave that we super soft comfortable and 14oz that were stiff and rough for their whole lifespan. I had some 23oz that didn’t feel so heavy and 15oz (see below) that felt like monsters.

I wash them when they are dirty or start to smell. Don’t overthink it - just don’t wash them if they don’t need it.

my personal recommendation for ocd types who order custom leather jackets rather than off the rack is to go with Ciano Farmer and get the exact fit and details you want. His 15oz Kojima feels soft but a lot heavier than that. You pay more for your first custom pattern, but after that it’s the same as stock price. Be warned though, that you might wait up to six months (though that’s not much longer than the wait for Gustins in which you get no custom options and a very low front rise).
CF looks intriguing. How would you compare fit/quality with Iron Heart?

Pandemic

One Too Many
CF looks intriguing. How would you compare fit/quality with Iron Heart?

The fit is whatever you want it to be. Start with one of the three house fits and modify how you want. I started with the stock Miner cut for a straight leg and high waist on my first pair and then made a few tweaks.

Quality is second to none. Best pocket bags I’ve ever seen (super thick and soft), for example. The rivets are amazing and little details like the reinforcement on the back pockets always impress. Everything is hand made by one guy with a passion for denim and it shows.

The main downside is the wait, the limited range of denims available at any one time and you do have to know what you are looking for and know some basic measurements.

I have a pair of Italian black x black in the queue now. I haven’t tried the chinos yet, but I may order a couple pairs when we eventually return to the office.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
The fit is whatever you want it to be. Start with one of the three house fits and modify how you want. I started with the stock Miner cut for a straight leg and high waist on my first pair and then made a few tweaks.

Quality is second to none. Best pocket bags I’ve ever seen (super thick and soft), for example. The rivets are amazing and little details like the reinforcement on the back pockets always impress. Everything is hand made by one guy with a passion for denim and it shows.

The main downside is the wait, the limited range of denims available at any one time and you do have to know what you are looking for and know some basic measurements.

I have a pair of Italian black x black in the queue now. I haven’t tried the chinos yet, but I may order a couple pairs when we eventually return to the office.
I appreciate the recommendation!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
my personal recommendation for ocd types who order custom leather jackets rather than off the rack is to go with Ciano Farmer and get the exact fit and details you want. His 15oz Kojima feels soft but a lot heavier than that. You pay more for your first custom pattern, but after that it’s the same as stock price. Be warned though, that you might wait up to six months (though that’s not much longer than the wait for Gustins in which you get no custom options and a very low front rise).
I love Ciano Farmer and I own five pairs of jeans and two jean jackets I have ordered over the last few years. I am not sure if I would recommend him to OCD types though simply because of the long wait times and the spotty communication from Ciano himself. The only way I was able to deal with the six month wait on my last order was because I forgot about it entirely until I received a shipping notice from UPS.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I love Ciano Farmer and I own five pairs of jeans and two jean jackets I have ordered over the last few years. I am not sure if I would recommend him to OCD types though simply because of the long wait times and the spotty communication from Ciano himself. The only way I was able to deal with the six month wait on my last order was because I forgot about it entirely until I received a shipping notice from UPS.

my wait was also about six months, but he was moving from Richmond up to Dallas at the time. He always answered my emails asking for an update and always offered a full refund any time if I wanted to cancel the order because of the delay.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
my wait was also about six months, but he was moving from Richmond up to Dallas at the time. He always answered my emails asking for an update and always offered a full refund any time if I wanted to cancel the order because of the delay.
I don’t know if I ever got him to reply to a single email but he always answered my phone calls and I enjoyed talking to the man immensely. He clearly loves what he does and I agree with you that he does it very well. He always told me that if I had any problems with anything that he made me, either due to a size issue or bad stitching, etc. that he would make it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy