Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in an FQHH jacket

AEH

One of the Regulars
Mr Johnson,

I started this thread to tell a little story of how I solved what I consider a problem to me, in a way that could be useful to others, and with a funny twist.
I am Norwegian, and my English is not too good, and I do not always understand the subtleness and "undertones" of your language, so when I experienced an offended tone in your first reply to this thread, I thought I must have misunderstood. But your repeating replies make it very clear that you do not like what I have done, and that you think the topic of this thread should be the right way to break in leather jackets. To this I have the following comments:

1. People might have reasons to do what they do that you don't know of. I, for instance, have very good reasons not to wear a cardboard stiff jacket, connected to my health situation.
  2. You write, (as I am able to read it), as if I, and others on this thread, have suggested that one should not break in a jacket by wearing it. I think my post should be clear on that this "method" for me was meant to help with the initial stiffness. The jacket, of course, still have a lot of breaking in to be done by wearing.
    You also imply that people that do not break in their jackets the way that you, apparently, know they did in the 1950's, regard a FQHH jacket as "fashion". I can only speak for myself, but I suspect that I am not the only one on this board do not have the financial possibilities to make £400+ fashion statements.
  3. I fully accept your right to have your strong concerns about how a leather jacket should be broken in, and I think you have made your point very clear. However I experience the tone in your replies in this thread as rather "schoolmasterish", as we would say in Norwegian :). That can be related to my crude understanding of the English language, but can I suggest that you take this into consideration?

End note: I grew up in the 1950's myself, I am very respectful to old crafts, (a peek at my web site, the address is in my signature, would suggest that, even if you do not read Norwegian), and I love my Aero jacket for its craftsmanship and high quality in materials. I will share my experiences and maybe give advices, but I will never lecture anyone about how they are supposed to use their jackets.

I consider this to be my last post about the right way to break in a leather jacket.

gfirob

Familiar Face
Well...

I’m all for tradition, but I have a worn and broken in Highwayman to compare this new jacket to. The new one wass simply a little uncomfortable and stiff out of the box. Four hours tumbling with a damp towel and no heat in a dryer really made a big difference in the way it looks and feels.

With all due respect, I think there is something British about wearing a jacket in, comfort be damned, taking months until it is soft and flexible (“stiff upper lip” or “that’s how we got through the blitz" and all that). Or maybe there is something American about the desire for immediate gratification (“let’s just borrow some more money and buy it now”.

I did think about how careful I’m sure the Aero staff was packing the jacket so the surface of the leather would be shiny and new, as I was closing the dryer door…

Rob Gardner

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thank you for your comments. One thing is certain, your English is infinitely superior to my Norwegian, so you have the advantage of me there. I accept we also share a love of traditional, well-crafted items. I have no particular feelings about what you or other do to jackets that you own, other than such actions seem superfluous. As I said in a previous post, someone who pays for a jacket has a right to do whatever they want to it. No-one has no right to influence them otherwise. You have a right to solve your own problems in your own way and clearly many people enjoyed reading about the way you did so. I have no right or reason to judge your behaviour in any way.

My 'issue' (as I believe people say nowadays) is that people are coming to these forums seeking advice and following examples of how to do things - including how to treat new jackets. You and other posters are implicitly putting the point of view that what I will call 'artificial treatment' is a necessary part of owning a new jacket. I'm sure that you will accept that I (or anyone else) has an equal right to put the case for what I will (for convenience) call the 'natural treatment' of a jacket.

I hope you will see that if this is not done then less experienced jacket owners (particularly of Aero FQHH) than you or I may, when seeking advice, assume that one can't wear a new HH jacket without sleeping on it or in it, driving over it or showering in it, or putting in in the tumble drier/cement mixer for hour. All of which are unneccesary, in my view. One -anyone- can 'just wear it' and many people I know- Aero customers - do just this. They don't bleed, blister or suffer in any way that I can see and they (and I) enjoy their new Aero jackets as much as anyone.

WRT to your comment, I don't think that mine is the 'right way' to 'break in' a new HH jacket, because (unlike new leather boots) I don't accept that they need 'breaking in'. I have as much of a right to say that on this forum as you have say what you say.

If I have offended you then I apologise without reservation. However, fluent on may be in a language, email and postings are often open to misconstruction of the tone. Let's call this enough. Agreed? Then I, too will make no further posts on this matter.

AEH said:
I started this thread to tell a little story of how I solved what I consider a problem to me, in a way that could be useful to others, and with a funny twist.
I am Norwegian, and my English is not too good, and I do not always understand the subtleness and "undertones" of your language, so when I experienced an offended tone in your first reply to this thread, I thought I must have misunderstood. But your repeating replies make it very clear that you do not like what I have done, and that you think the topic of this thread should be the right way to break in leather jackets. To this I have the following comments:

1. People might have reasons to do what they do that you don't know of. I, for instance, have very good reasons not to wear a cardboard stiff jacket, connected to my health situation.
  2. You write, (as I am able to read it), as if I, and others on this thread, have suggested that one should not break in a jacket by wearing it. I think my post should be clear on that this "method" for me was meant to help with the initial stiffness. The jacket, of course, still have a lot of breaking in to be done by wearing.
    You also imply that people that do not break in their jackets the way that you, apparently, know they did in the 1950's, regard a FQHH jacket as "fashion". I can only speak for myself, but I suspect that I am not the only one on this board do not have the financial possibilities to make £400+ fashion statements.
  3. I fully accept your right to have your strong concerns about how a leather jacket should be broken in, and I think you have made your point very clear. However I experience the tone in your replies in this thread as rather "schoolmasterish", as we would say in Norwegian :). That can be related to my crude understanding of the English language, but can I suggest that you take this into consideration?

End note: I grew up in the 1950's myself, I am very respectful to old crafts, (a peek at my web site, the address is in my signature, would suggest that, even if you do not read Norwegian), and I love my Aero jacket for its craftsmanship and high quality in materials. I will share my experiences and maybe give advices, but I will never lecture anyone about how they are supposed to use their jackets.

I consider this to be my last post about the right way to break in a leather jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well gents...

Just shake on it and accept we 'all' do different things.

As for me, my Barnstormer must be about 5-years-old now and it's just got lots of hard wear (including gardening, walking the dogs, mechanics..etc, etc) and been in all weathers and it's looking pretty good, I must say ;)

Sure it was standing to attention like a Guardsman outside Buckingham Palace when first got it. But with wear it will soften up. WARNING...doesn't get any lighter though!! (in weight).;)

J

john z

I find it humourously ironic that much is made of achieving an instant worn look for new repro HH jackets, whereas I strive to acquire period items in as near unworn condition as possible, even trying to reduce the signs of wear on 'new' arrivals lol.

skippymchaggis

New in Town
i feel like there needs to be a distinction made between "distressing" stuff so it looks worn, and "breaking in" the heavy FQHH a lot of new jackets are made of.

i think a careful reading of many posts here will show that people just want to be able to bend over or move in a jacket, rather than feeling like they're wearing cardboard clothes. while there are others that want a "well worn" look sooner rather than later.

i'm of the opinion that whatever one man chooses to do with his own jacket is his decision and right.

as for me, when i get my new Aero, i'm probably going to do something to make it more pliant, but i'm not really looking to make it look "old."

Doublegun

Practically Family
skippymchaggis said:
i feel like there needs to be a distinction made between "distressing" stuff so it looks worn, and "breaking in" the heavy FQHH a lot of new jackets are made of.

i think a careful reading of many posts here will show that people just want to be able to bend over or move in a jacket, rather than feeling like they're wearing cardboard clothes. while there are others that want a "well worn" look sooner rather than later.

i'm of the opinion that whatever one man chooses to do with his own jacket is his decision and right.

as for me, when i get my new Aero, i'm probably going to do something to make it more pliant, but i'm not really looking to make it look "old."

Well said!:eusa_clap

I don't think that we are discussing an instant worn look as much as breaking in a jacket quicker for comfort.
I,too,grew up in the'50s-'60s..and collected true vintage leather jackets over the years. It would be a rarety to come across a vintage leather jacket as near as thick or industrial strength as Aero's hvy FQHH...if at all. Sorry...I just don't get the continuing reference to.."Well..it doesn't make anyone blister or bleed". Some of us just aren't too keen to trudge through all kinds of weather or make endurance runs especially clad in new uniquely hvy horsehide..although for sake of better health,perhaps,we "should". Fortunately..it is just not a necessity when there are other ways to help along the break-in period to reach a comfort level for easier wear. It's obvious that you can "just wear it"...and it's also obvious that some are concerned with.."How long must I go through discomfort" after trying on this unusual HH. Answer is...Not long. There are ways to accelerate relaxing the heavy hide. Suggestions of spray misting until quite wet..and wearing untill dry....tumbling..and other methods. However,these are just suggestions..just as well as only "wearing it to break it in". Not lecturing or insisting what may be right or wrong.
Me..I have several Aero hvy HH...and a new one coming. I know exactly what I'll do with the new one. What I've done in the past...and has served me well.
HD

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
@AEH: I tried the "happy jumper" employing my 7 year old daughter and my 4 year old son on my latest aquisition. Actually not so much for the jacket, but just for the laugh.

And what fun they had!

Thanks a lot, great post, great idea and it made the kids tired. What more can you ask?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
New Aero Highwayman, FQHH, cotton drill lining

I've never had a horsehide jacket before — I've never owned a leather jacket before, full stop — but despite its being stiff as a board out of the box this richly coloured, lovely-smelling item seems fine after wearing it around my place for the past 45 minutes. Some heavy zip action, a little bit of light arm stretching and flexing, just to get the sleeves to a decent level. And that's about it for now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it weathers and how the colour alters over time.

At this rate I should think a day's wear will see it a step closer to total comfort. We'll see. But I really don't get the break-in 'problem'. I suppose some have a different idea of how they like things to be. For me, first jacket, this is just... well... this.

I've already christened it, as we say in these parts, with a couple of scrapes on the back; probably the result of trying to fasten and unfasten the side adjusters. As a long-time guitar user (vintage and new), I find it's best to put the first dings into new kit yourself: the rest won't hurt quite so bad.

This is one beautiful jacket.

AEH

One of the Regulars
Pictures

Doublegun said:
Regarding your jacket. I covet an Aero Half-Belt more and more every day, however every day I hear/see things Loungers have done to tweak the design. Never thought about the sloping front though. Would you mind posting photos of you wearing the jacket? I am intersted to see how the jacket looks with the sloping front.

Thanks
Doublegun: At last a few pictures of the jacket as worn. Hope this helps for your decision. :)

H_B-3130.jpg

H_B-3128.jpg

H_B-3133.jpg

H_B-3132.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks as if it has relaxed considerably. I like it. The Happy Jumper did a good job on it.

Is that the brown FQHH? I think the brown LHB in FQHH will be my next purchase.

After I looked at your original post, I see that is the HB with 2" added to the body. That gives it a good length.

AEH

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
Looks as if it has relaxed considerably. I like it. The Happy Jumper did a good job on it.

Is that the brown FQHH? I think the brown LHB in FQHH will be my next purchase.

After I looked at your original post, I see that is the HB with 2" added to the body. That gives it a good length.

I'll tell The Happy Jumper that his work is appreciated :)
This is "Vintage Brown", I don't have my Aero leather samples available, but I think the Vintage Brown is a bit darker (and less red ?) than "Brown". I like it very much.
The added lenght was Amandas suggestion, and i find it wise to follow her advice :)

taggers

New in Town
For what it's worth, people have "worked" the leather on items like horse tack, and done unspeakable things to new army boots for centuries. I understand it was traditional to have your butler wear your new shoes for the couple weeks.

Not sure I can see the difference.

Great jacket, enjoy it.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
This vintage brown looks quite good. What do you guys think? I'm going to order a new Aero. I'm on the fence between brown, vintage brown, and even possibly cordovan. I don't like the purple at all, however. What I would love, would be a dark brown like this vintage brown with red grains through it, to give that three dimensional look. But I guess that is not really an option.

Anyhow, this vintage brown looks pretty nice (the first post on this thread). I wonder if the vintage brown is chrome tanned. I definitely want to stick with chrome tanned because of the way it ages over time.

I have seen the regular brown look a little dingy in the photos after it breaks in. I would like to avoid that. I really like the "3D" appearance of a hide that has some variety of colors in it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic