Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breif Review: For All Mankind

MikeKardec

One Too Many
For All Mankind (2 seasons and possibly another on the way) on Apple Plus is pretty good. It's a alternate history of the space race based on the concept that the Soviet Union got to the moon just prior to Apollo 11. Basically, a version of the space race where it was really an ongoing race rather than an American victory so great that the USSR eventually gave up and then the USA followed suit. It is captained, or Executive Produced, by Ron Moore, who has cut his teeth on more fanciful SciFi in the form of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Carnivale, and Outlander.

The story follows a fairly detailed and historically accurate vision of NASAs plans and utilizes quite a few historical characters both deep faked and played by actors, and some who are slightly fictionalized. I won't say that all are completely realistically portrayed but they are usefully managed for the purposes of the series. It plays with being a bit woker than it needs to be right at the end but it's a good deal of fun and hopefully there will be more of it.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Lost me at woke...

LOL! Actually, it's pretty mild in it's wokeness. The female characters are integrated pretty well, calling up the Mercury 13 (women who trained in the early space program) when the Soviets send a woman to the moon. The main bit of wokiness is probably a Mexican girl who crosses the border with her Dad in a manner more like a "coyote crossing" from our current era than the 1970s but isn't completely anachronistic. She's FAR from a Mary Sue and seems like she'll be playing a bigger role in season 3. The women better characters and are integrated much better than the typical TV show ... kudos to Ron Moor who has always been good at that sort of thing. I think you might enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk