First post - looking for advice for a "do it all" jacket (Aero Premier Highwayman - Belmondo style)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Herresbach, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Herresbach

Herresbach New in Town

Thanks for your input guys, I‘m about to order.

I‘ll be going for:
    - Sheene
    - Seal Goat
    - August Collar
    - no kidney panel
    - shoulder gussets
    - highwayman yoke
    - Nickel zippers looped ball chain
    - Olive green lining
    - Olive green contrast stitching
    - two inside pockets in the facing (probably without stud or zippers)

are there any last things I should consider/reconsider?
    I’m wondering if seal goat looks much different from brown fqhh since I don‘t want the Sheene to be too similar to my brown fqhh CR.
    Otherwise I feel quite set that this jacket will be a nice „do it all“ configuration.

Thanks in advance!

El Marro likes this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That's great and then once you have it you can work out the jacket with the specs you really want. :D That's how it seems to work.

El Marro likes this.
  3. Mr Knight

Mr Knight New in Town

Go for olive drill lining if you want a plain interior. I know there’s the option of sateen and it’s all down to personal preference. If you want a smooth ‘silk’ lining then go with sateen as I’m under the impression there’s little (if any) difference in durability.

The Sheene is a very nice looking jacket and should fit you fine, I’ve seen several people go from regular/premier highwayman to a Sheene and swear by it.

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Sateen in the sleeves!

5. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

Olive drill in the body and olive sateen in the sleeves, it worked well for my cordovan bootlegger.

Cornelius likes this.
  6. Mr Knight

Mr Knight New in Town

Good choice, this has been recommended to me by Denny on both jackets that’s I’ve had from Aero however I went for full drill and didn’t find it an issue as I don’t wear long sleeve shirts often.

7. Herresbach

Herresbach New in Town

I didn‘t really get that part.
    Why is going for full drill not an issue when you‘re not wearing long sleeve shirts often? the double negative is probably too much for a non native speaker ;)
    does that mean that full drill is better when you‘re wearing t-shirts or short sleeved henleys and sateen is better with shirts or pullovers?

8. Mr Knight

Mr Knight New in Town

Good choice, this has been recommended to me by Denny on both jackets that’s I’ve had from Aero however I went for full drill and didn’t find it an issue as I wear short sleeve shirts often.

;)

Herresbach likes this.
  9. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

Drill can catch on shirt sleeves, although it’s not so much of a problem as you can grip the sleeve end as you’re putting your arm through. Sateen is smooth so it doesn’t grip.
    Drill is more resilient so it’ll last longer than sateen, but unless you plan for this to be your one and only jacket it’ll take forever to wear out, and if you did plan for this you should quit this forum and never come back. Before it’s too late!

El Marro likes this.
  10. Herresbach

Herresbach New in Town

I‘ll go for sateen in the sleeves then.
    My CR has drill lining in the sleeves but wearing the CR collar with a short looks at least unusual in my opinion so I never really had the „issue“ with longsleeve shirts.

Are the shoulder gussets any good or are they just for aesthetics? I read both in other threads.
    Since the jacket is going to be my go to jacket, an increase in mobility might be useful but on the other hand the jacket should look clean enough to wear it with a nice shirt.
    I know there is no one does it all but I‘m trying to make it most versatile.