Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Curls: Kettles, Pencill, etc.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check out RBH's Ranger on the WHAYWT thread. I love that curl!

You wouldn't happen to be referring to......
RBH said:
006hk.jpg

THIS ONE! :)

It's definitely a good-looking hat, RBH has been holding out on us lol!

RBH

Bartender
You wouldn't happen to be referring to......

THIS ONE! :)

It's definitely a good-looking hat, RBH has been holding out on us lol!

Thanks guys! I put the curl in that one myself. When the Major made it for me he put a flat brim like I ask for on it.
Last night I got it down to wear and thought about Duvalls hat from Open Range so I wet the brim down and shaped it up.

Here is the way it was. And the pin that gives the hat its name.

30097907ko6.jpg

b79f1ck8.jpg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Those are awesome pics, Scottyrocks! Is the black one a cavalry hat?

Thank you very muchly. Its styled that way only in the crossed 'lanyard' in the front, but otherwise, no. I do have another black hat that is more cavalry-like. I dont have a picture of me in it, though, so I'll have to take and post one.

Neophyte

Thank you very muchly. Its styled that way only in the crossed 'lanyard' in the front, but otherwise, no. I do have another black hat that is more cavalry-like. I dont have a picture of me in it, though, so I'll have to take and post one.

Cool, thanks! It just kinda looked like some cav hats I've seen with the brim curled up.

danofarlington

Thanks guys! I put the curl in that one myself. When the Major made it for me he put a flat brim like I ask for on it.
Last night I got it down to wear and thought about Duvalls hat from Open Range so I wet the brim down and shaped it up.

Here is the way it was. And the pin that gives the hat its name.

30097907ko6.jpg

b79f1ck8.jpg

Your best look.

Neophyte

Deputy Swoopy has brought to my attention this screen grab from the movie Appaloosa, wherein one of the protagonists dons a hat with a pleasant curl all around :). Thanks, Deputy!

vito2.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I put this in another thread but I'll add it here too.
Here's an up-brim early "Fedora" brim curl vs. the "Homburg" style. Note the top edge curls back inward wether it is bound or not. Although size of curl and bindings vary there is a distinct profile.

5199166724_2ea2444f78_z.jpg

5199135620_6d0dfb4ce3_z.jpg

20's Mossant--30's Stetson

Last edited:

Neophyte

Neo, that brim treatment is great! Keep that and keep wearing that hat!

Thank you. The hat had gotten majorly warped. It was in my closet, and one of my silly relatives must have thrown a piece of luggage on top of it unintentionally, because that is where I found it. The brim was too wonky to use as a formal hat, so I tried various treatments. It's sort of become my "experimental" hat, but that may cease now that I found a great crease and brim shape for it :D!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot