Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim trimming

dmeist

New in Town
The original Indiana Jones Fedora has a wider front and back than the sides. Is there a tool used to cut the brim this way?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The original Indiana Jones Fedora has a wider front and back than the sides. Is there a tool used to cut the brim this way?

Well the original hats were just cut by hand with scissors. IIRC, John Penman has a template he uses. I don't know of any rounding jack that can automatically make a dimensional cut. Though Scientific Hat finishing describes a process where you can create a tapered shim out of leather, which will effectively push the jack out from the base of the block.

https://archive.org/details/scientifichatfin00erma/page/99/mode/1up

I have only ever cut two dimensional brims.....not my favourite thing to do. I have done it by using a standard rounding jack to cut the brim symmetrically to the widest dimension. Then using a tape measure, tailors chalk, and pins to plot the narrower cut lines. Then using a Flex Curve as the solid edge make the cut with an Xacto knife. A little sanding around the cut and it is done.

dmeist

New in Town
Well the original hats were just cut by hand with scissors. IIRC, John Penman has a template he uses. I don't know of any rounding jack that can automatically make a dimensional cut. Though Scientific Hat finishing describes a process where you can create a tapered shim out of leather, which will effectively push the jack out from the base of the block.

https://archive.org/details/scientifichatfin00erma/page/99/mode/1up
Thanks for the reference. I knew I had seen it somewhere and could not remember. I guess nobody is making/selling these anymore. Doesn't look too hard to make, so I will look into it.

I have only ever cut two dimensional brims.....not my favourite thing to do. I have done it by using a standard rounding jack to cut the brim symmetrically to the widest dimension. Then using a tape measure, tailors chalk, and pins to plot the narrower cut lines. Then using a Flex Curve as the solid edge make the cut with an Xacto knife. A little sanding around the cut and it is done.

I recently found my old Flex Curve. I think computers have made them nearly go extinct. A Flex Curve, a Ships Curve, a ruler, and a compass and I could once put together a near scale diagram.

I recently found my old Flex Curve. I think computers have made them nearly go extinct. A Flex Curve, a Ships Curve, a ruler, and a compass and I could once put together a near scale diagram.
I have both my Flex Curves and a conformateur to use when checking head shape. My $10 Flex Curves work just as well and quicker than the conformateur that cost 20 times more.

Who?

Practically Family
I think brim trimming is a great way to ruin a perfectly good hat.

To each his own.

If it isn’t what you want …… get one that is.

To each his own.

I have done it making hats for women. The client desired asymmetrical brims. One was side to side the other back to front. As well, If you want to make your own Indy hat then cutting the dimensional brim has to be done.

To each his own.

What’s the difference between getting one that has the width you want and making an existing hat the way you want it? I can see the argument against modifying a rare and/or very old hat, but that’s not what we are taking about. What’s the difference between when my hatter trims the brim on a custom build to my specified width or me trimming a brim back if I decide I want it shorter? A small amount off the brim can really change a hat a lot. Sometimes a little trim makes a hat you might not wear into a favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot