Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Width and Head Size

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Well, the hatter agreed to change my brim size to 3 1/4" for my upcoming Milan hat. Although I'm a little worried in the event I am unable to make that look work with my skinny stature, but I am trying to take the word of the gents here who told me it won't matter and that I can indeed make it work.

Is there a reason why hatters might have trouble reducing the brim size of a Milan hat? Why couldn't they, for example, just unstitch & unwind a large brim of a Milan until the brim size becomes reduced to a customer's specifications?

Well, the hatter agreed to change my brim size to 3 1/4" for my upcoming Milan hat. Although I'm a little worried in the event I am unable to make that look work with my skinny stature, but I am trying to take the word of the gents here who told me it won't matter and that I can indeed make it work.

Is there a reason why hatters might have trouble reducing the brim size of a Milan hat? Why couldn't they, for example, just unstitch & unwind a large brim of a Milan until the brim size becomes reduced to a customer's specifications?
I have never watched a hatter sew Milan straw but I know a hatter that is learning. It is a difficult art to master. So I would think, like many things, when you attempt to reverse the process you risk opening up a potential bag of crap and risking the entire hat. If it were that easy I suspect we would find a great many hatters making Milan hats. The fact that we only have one or two speaks volumes to me.
The only thing that would make the wider brimmed hat not work is you. You are in complete control of this and it really is as easy as deciding that you will love the hat and it will be perfect for the purpose intended.

I have never watched a hatter sew Milan straw but I know a hatter that is learning. It is a difficult art to master. So I would think, like many things, when you attempt to reverse the process you risk opening up a potential bag of crap and risking the entire hat. If it were that easy I suspect we would find a great many hatters making Milan hats. The fact that we only have one or two speaks volumes to me.
The only thing that would make the wider brimmed hat not work is you. You are in complete control of this and it really is as easy as deciding that you will love the hat and it will be perfect for the purpose intended.

There are several YouTube videos, but I think this is the best. Like lots of things, when someone knows how to do it it looks simple.

There are several YouTube videos, but I think this is the best. Like lots of things, when someone knows how to do it it looks simple.

And now, when some schmoe says the straw hat you want isn't in stock and it'll take him six weeks to get one, you can reply that you've seen the video and it only takes 4 to 5 minutes to make one, so they had better get busy. ;)

glider

A-List Customer
No wanting to do Milan may be as simple as not being able to compete with companies producing nice Milans in the one-hundred-dollar range. Straw in general, with a Panama being the exception, are plentiful and for the most part good quality. Actually, there are some nice Panama's out there for a couple hundred or less. Of course, not the really nice ones with a very fine weave but it's pretty hard to count the weave from 5 feet or more.

No wanting to do Milan may be as simple as not being able to compete with companies producing nice Milans in the one-hundred-dollar range. Straw in general, with a Panama being the exception, are plentiful and for the most part good quality. Actually, there are some nice Panama's out there for a couple hundred or less. Of course, not the really nice ones with a very fine weave but it's pretty hard to count the weave from 5 feet or more.

Are you finding a lot of Milan straw hats? I’m looking classic high crown fedora and western dress hats. I’m not seeing much and the few that seem to check the boxes are selling for $500 and up and low availability there.

And now, when some schmoe says the straw hat you want isn't in stock and it'll take him six weeks to get one, you can reply that you've seen the video and it only takes 4 to 5 minutes to make one, so they had better get busy. ;)
Yes, Milan and Panamas are both 'straw' hats but are very different animals. You will be hard pressed to find a true Milan sewn with true Milan wheat straw for that $100 unless you are fortunate to find a good used one. Yes, you can pick up the modern(ish) plasticized 'straw' versions of a Milan cheaply but it is a poor cousin to the real thing. I have a used plasticized Dobbs Milan, picked up for $50. Not a bad hat but it sure ain't a true Milan. I have two true vintage Milans and they are great hats. Considering now buying one of Wellemas to get the wider brim width.

glider

A-List Customer
There is nothing wrong with pride in ownership and quality is seldom cheap. I suppose I'm just not as demanding with straw as felt. My favorite straw is an Akubra and it doesn't say what it is, it looks like hemp. I think I paid a little over a hundred for it. I have a few Panama's and they were in the 150 range and I'm perfectly happy with them. I guess when it comes to straw hats I'm cheap, oh well.

There is nothing wrong with pride in ownership and quality is seldom cheap. I suppose I'm just not as demanding with straw as felt. My favorite straw is an Akubra and it doesn't say what it is, it looks like hemp. I think I paid a little over a hundred for it. I have a few Panama's and they were in the 150 range and I'm perfectly happy with them. I guess when it comes to straw hats I'm cheap, oh well.
I have a number of Panamas from $100 up to $500 and Milans $50 to $150. All of them are nice hats and serve a purpose. I do keep my two nicer Panamas for dress occasions. On days where the sun might be interrupted with showers I will wear the cheaper ones and take the risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24