Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

JC

New in Town
I like the front of my fedora to be down and for the back to be flipped up.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I usually wear my hats brim up in the back, and down in the front, but sometimes I'll just wear it down, especially with my Federation IV, which is quite weathered to the point it's no longer a flat brim. My homburg, I typically wear slightly turned down in the front, bordering on the 1920s "collegiate look," according to some advertisement shown in another thread.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Brim Up

I've heard much about snapping up your hat brim when setting it down, or flipping it over, but I'm wondering how many of my fellow Loungers regularly wear their fedora's with the brims up?
I am currently looking for a nice (and cheap), used, fedora to start wearing just this way. After years of hat wearing I found that this is the way I like my hats the best, pushed back a bit with the brim up.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've heard much about snapping up your hat brim when setting it down, or flipping it over, but I'm wondering how many of my fellow Loungers regularly wear their fedora's with the brims up?
I am currently looking for a nice (and cheap), used, fedora to start wearing just this way. After years of hat wearing I found that this is the way I like my hats the best, pushed back a bit with the brim up.

I do not, but T.W. makes it look good, eh?

tom-waits-the-hobbit-8-12-09-kc.jpg
Tom-waits.jpg

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Posted on another thread, perhaps appropriate here.

Several years ago, guitarist Carlos Santana took to wearing a fedora with a reverse brim - turned up in front and down in back:

5514651851_914fc89a4b.jpg

Looks like what happened is that he initially made a mistake and put his hat on backwards and decided he liked it. For a while, Bailey Hats were offering the Carlos Santana "Smooth" fedora, and suggested you could "wear it like Carlos" with the same goofy brim treatment...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, I have one snap brim fedora, and a Stetson Temple. I snap the brim up on one, and just fold it up on the Stetson. Neither hat would look the least bit decent if I just left the brim up, I'm sure that you'd have to account for that when designing / creasing the hat.

Just my $0.02

fmw

One Too Many
The classic hat for brim-up wear is the pork pie. Find one with a 2" brim and you'll be good to go. Admittedly, however, I wear my pork pie snapped down.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
See I'm not a big fan of the Porkpie look on me. I also would rather my hat brims to be at least 2 1/2 inches long or longer. That I why I asked about Fedora's with snapped up brims.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Hi, I have one snap brim fedora, and a Stetson Temple. I snap the brim up on one, and just fold it up on the Stetson. Neither hat would look the least bit decent if I just left the brim up, I'm sure that you'd have to account for that when designing / creasing the hat.

Just my $0.02[/QUOTE]
I agree, the ability to wear a hat with the brim up must be considered in the design and creasing of the hat, I've spent countless hours trying to get a hat brim to look right up on a hat that was not designed for an upturned brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner