Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

carter

I'll Lock Up
It actually works with the brim up or snapped down. Which do you think looks best on you? If you post pictures of you wearing the hat both ways, you'll receive plenty of feedback.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
It's not just about the hat, it's what works with your face.

And even that can be quite subjective!

If any hat is a good candidate for the brim snapped up all the way around, this is certainly it. But, make sure to try it down in the front as well.

Go with the one you like the best.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
My first thought would be to keep the brim up all around. That may be because, to me, the crown crease looks more like what I've seen on the majority of homburgs. However, show me a pic of it with the brim snapped, and I may change my mind.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
But it's clearly a fedora, not a homburg. To me the brim up look smacks too much of "Hello Ralphie Boy!" FDR often sported this look, but I think he probably flipped the brim up or down, depending on his mood, and whether there was a crowd to wave to.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think either way is fine, but personally, I'd wear the front snapped down to show off the Guild Edge!

Brad

DerMann

Practically Family
That's an absolutely stunning hat.

Snap the brim down while you wear it. Snap it up for storage.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Let's not forget about the other option, which is front brim up and back brim down. You can apply for membership in The F.B.U.A.B.B.D. Hipster Doofus Detail. Currently, I am the only member. I must admit, performing the duties of President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary and Sergeant-at-Arms has been quite exhausting. I could use some help. ;)

yobbos1

New in Town
EVEN-STEVEN said:
Let's not forget about the other option, which is front brim up and back brim down. You can apply for membership in The F.B.U.A.B.B.D. Hipster Doofus Detail. Currently, I am the only member. I must admit, performing the duties of President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary and Sergeant-at-Arms has been quite exhausting. I could use some help. ;)
:D :D :D :eusa_clap

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Whether you wear it up or down, feel confident that you will be better turned-out than 999 out of a thousand of your fellow citizens.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I tend to agree with most of these other guys: I am a front-brim-down kind of guy. But wear it a while first and decide for yourself.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Up or Down Brim?

I know the consensus here, but it seems the "Open Road"/"Alessandria" type wide brim thin ribbon hats were more typically worn up brim. JtL makes that big flap look great but I think its mostly a more modern take. I'm not telling anyone how to wear their hat, it can work either way, just an historical observation. If this is a repeat thread feel free to ignore or add comments.

3750188456_e7db4bd585_o.jpg
3749436909_87980203c3.jpg
3749422971_b8e4f084fe.jpg

Former haberdasher Truman as well as Roosevelt and LBJ wore their brims up.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
I remember Harvey Keitel in "From Dusk Till Dawn" wearing something like an open road with the brim up all around.
Looked quite good on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic