Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bring back dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
:eusa_doh: I could never figure out why a girl would want to date a part time bartender, who has no car, borrows hers, barely makes half the rent yet she says she's "in love".:eusa_doh:

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
missjoeri said:
Btw, I think the old fashioned 1930s type of gigolo's should get back in fashion
You know, the dancing kind...

Like Fred Garvin?

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

Mrs. Potter.....Margot Kidder
Fred Garvin.....Dan Aykroyd
Slick.....Garrett Morris

[ open on Mrs. Potter lying in bed in hotel room, as a knock is heard at the door ]

Mrs. Potter: I'm coming, I'm coming.. [ opens door ] Hello?

Fred Garvin: [ entering ] Mrs. Potter?

Mrs. Potter: Yes.. that's me.

Fred Garvin: The same Mrs. Potter who's Vice-President, in charge of loans for the Franklin National Bank in Chicago.

Mrs. Potter: Yeah, that's me.

Fred Garvin: Here, this is for you.

Mrs. Potter: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

Fred Garvin: May I come in?

Mrs. Potter: What for?

Fred Garvin: Well, ma'am, you see, when a VP like yourself comes to Milain to do business, it's customary for the company to send a gal up to the room, compliments of Great Lakes Feed & Grain. And, well.. since you're a gal, the company sent me - Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

[ Fred stares at the camera as the title card appears ]

Mrs. Potter: Uh.. I don't, I don't think you understand, Fred. I'm not that kind of girl..

Fred Garvin: Oh, let me reassure you, ma'am. I can assure you profssional hygeine, discretion and animal gratification.

Mrs. Potter: I have never had to pay for that in my whole life.

Fred Garvin: Well, don't worry about it. Great Lakes Feed & Grain is picking up the tab. You get me for the whole night!

Mrs. Potter: Hey, uh..

Fred Garvin: Hey is for horses, young lady. No ifs, ands or buts about it - you're spending the night with Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

Well, now, I have a work order here which specifies that I am to roger you roundly 'til 6:15 tomorrow morning.

Mrs. Potter: Now, wait a minute.. wait a minute. Don't I get dome say in this? I mean, maybe I want some sleep. Maybe I don't want to be rogered roundly.

Fred Garvin: Ma'am, you're dealing here with a fully qualified male strumpet. I service the entire quad cities area - Moline, Rock Island, Davenport and Bettendorf. Why don't you give it a whirl? What have you got to lose?

Mrs. Potter: [ walks aside to think to herself ] What do I have to lose? No one's ever gonna know.. and I'm not gonna see Paul for another couple of weeks. Sure, Fred's not the most attractive guy in the world.. but if he makes a living at this, he must be doing something right. [ finished thinking ] Okay, Mr. Garvin. I'll try it.

Fred Garvin: Congratulations, Mrs. Potter! I knew you'd come to your sense. And, ma'am, if you're amenable, I'd like to begin the session by striking a few.. seductive poses. [ makes series of odd, comic poses ]

Mrs. Potter: That's nice..

Fred Garvin: I call this one "The Snake". [ poses like a snake ]

Mrs. Potter: Uh.. well, I'm, uh..

Fred Garvin: Mrs. Potter, please cooperate. Come on, now, come on. You'll thank yourself later, now come on. Get on under this bed here, young lady, come on, come on. Just jump right on in here.

Mrs. Potter: Okay. [ jumps in ]

Fred Garvin: Now, if you don't mind, I do work with the glasses and jacket. [ climbs in ] Feeling anything yet? Any symptoms of arousal?

Mrs. Potter: I don't think so.

Fred Garvin: Well, these things take time. Perhaps a bit of humor will break the ice. What's red and green, and goes like this? [ makes spinning motion ]

Mrs. Potter: I don't know.

Fred Garvin: A frog in a blender! There you go. And now, look at this. [ holds up card ]

Mrs. Potter: What's this?

Fred Garvin: My backseat driver's license! [ laughs ] Enough foreplay - let's get cracking. [ removes pants ]

Mrs. Potter: [ notices something ] Hey, wait a minute..

Fred Garvin: What?

Mrs. Potter: What is all that stuff?

Fred Garvin: Oh, uh.. that's my rather elaborate network of trusses. I will need your help with a couple of these. I got the old hernia truss here.. and I got a spleen truss, it opens up with a couple of snaps here in the back..

Mrs. Potter: No, I don't think so.. you know, I.. I.. I think this is a little too much for me, I, uh..

Fred Garvin: No, no.. it's just a couple of snaps in the back. You know, you just gotta make sure you don't touch the rupture, that's all..

[ a knock at the door ]

Mrs. Potter: Who's that? Who's that?

Slick: It's Slick.

Mrs. Potter: Who's Slick?

Fred Garvin: Uh.. Slick. This takes a little explanation. You see.. Slick is a gentleman of leisure. He looks out for me and the girls. Uh.. be there in a jiffy, Slick! By the way, one good word from you would really put me in good with the boss.

Mrs. Potter: Okay.

Fred Garvin: [ opens door ] Hey, Slick!

Slick: [ enters, dressed a pimp ] There's my main man! I was down in the hallway, I thought you mind need some help with your trusses, baby.

Mrs. Potter: Oh, no, we don't need any help with his trusses. In fact, I think maybe you'd both better get out of here.

Slick: What's the matter, Miss? Hasn't Fred attended to your needs?

Mrs. Potter: Oh, no.. he's really attended to my needs.. [ Fred signals her ] He was wonderful! The earth moved! In fact, it moved so muich, I don't think I can take any more!

Slick: [ laughs ] That's my Fred! Yeah. He's my bread-and-butter man. You see, in my schedule I got eight girls, and Fred. Come on, Fred, let's go, man. They got some hungry women in Beddendorf waiting for the Garden Lizard.

Mrs. Potter: Fred? Fred? Fred, I just want to thank you for tonight. I'm never going to forget it.

Fred Garvin: Well, thank you, ma'am. I do what I can. Because I'm Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

[ fade to black ]

Elaina

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
:eusa_doh: I could never figure out why a girl would want to date a part time bartender, who has no car, borrows hers, barely makes half the rent yet she says she's "in love".:eusa_doh:

I don't either, although I had a roomie who went for that kind of man every time. She couldn't understand the fact that I required any man I dated to have a full time job. (Still doesn't understand the whole nerd thing either.)

Of couse, she's married to one of these, has 5 kids and the guys in prison.

Some of my ideas aren't exactly old fashioned, but I like my men to be men, and that includes having a job, opening doors for me, and being a man enough to BE a man. I'm a strong woman, and I have to have a stronger man, the part time bartender with no prospects...uhm, nope. I have a child, thanks.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like the protocol and formality of old fashioned 'courting.'

There's something even about the word 'courting' that has an old fashioned charm to it.

Yes, sadly there are men and women out there who would criticise someone observing those old rules as being "too nice," and "not my type," but then in my book, that is what separates the women and men from the ladies and gentlemen of this world.

Having something of a ritual means that couples know where they stand within that ritual and those groundrules. Surely the good things in life are worth waiting for and if you do wait (just even a little bit), then those good things in life will be yours to enjoy for many years to come with 'that' special person.

I'm all for sliding seats out for the lady, holding her jacket, opening the door, because if you cannot make an effort with those 'little' things in life (that actually don't really take much effort to do), well then what sort of person are you going to be when the real BIG WHAMMIES of life need dealing with?
And if you really like someone, shouldn't the foundation of those little seeds of love be buillt on a foundation of courteousy and respect.

Hence we come full circle to old fashioned courting, and starting off as you intend to go on, with love and respect.

Is that really too much to ask from individuals in this modern age of ours?

S

Samsa

PADDY said:
There's something even about the word 'courting' that has an old fashioned charm to it.

Yes, sadly there are men and women out there who would criticise someone observing those old rules as being "too nice," and "not my type," but then in my book, that is what separates the women and men from the ladies and gentlemen of this world.

Having something of a ritual means that couples know where they stand within that ritual and those groundrules. Surely the good things in life are worth waiting for and if you do wait (just even a little bit), then those good things in life will be yours to enjoy for many years to come with 'that' special person.

I'm all for sliding seats out for the lady, holding her jacket, opening the door, because if you cannot make an effort with those 'little' things in life (that actually don't really take much effort to do), well then what sort of person are you going to be when the real BIG WHAMMIES of life need dealing with?
And if you really like someone, shouldn't the foundation of those little seeds of love be buillt on a foundation of courteousy and respect.

Hence we come full circle to old fashioned courting, and starting off as you intend to go on, with love and respect.

Is that really too much to ask from individuals in this modern age of ours?

The best post in this thread by far.:eusa_clap

It's too bad more people don't hold themselves to these standards.

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i have to say you all at this site never cease to amaze me! .

I did not figure anyone still held to these traditional views. I do and have felt like an alien because of it. I told a friend once "no i dont want to hook up with a broad the old ways seemed less harmful" his response and one ive got from others was "what do you think this is 1932?"
do any of you get this sneering response?
I once asked someone
"dont you ever want something more? like going out dancing in the old style or bringing some class to life" i received a blank stare.

Thanks for the wonderful thread it made my day.

oh im sure its been suggested before, someone should set up a vintage matchmaking site :-D

Trampilot

Familiar Face
PADDY said:
Surely the good things in life are worth waiting for and if you do wait (just even a little bit), then those good things in life will be yours to enjoy for many years to come with 'that' special person.

I've never understood dating. That's not a criticism but I've just never understood it. The relationships I've had in the past have all been the result of shall we say "ships passing in the night" and I just happened to jump aboard for a month/year etc... Last year I started dating (I suppose) but I didn't like the way she still wanted to be free to date other men. Nothing wrong with that if that's what she wants but it wasn't what I wanted - so no more "dates".

However Paddy has rekindled something inside me. I spent years being a gentleman and recently got pretty badly trampled by a true life femme fatale which ripped my patience and understanding from me but the above quote has really settled me in my current relationship. I had some doubts about it but reading that has made me feel more confident. She is worth it so I'm sticking with her.

What is a few months if we are to share the rest of our lives together.

Thanks Paddy.

Phil

A-List Customer
Actually, we went over this in sociology the other day. A lot of the girls say because they're interesting men. They feel that the "Bad ass" is more fun than someone like, oh say...me who actually wants more than a little pants time. I'll never really understand that pert. But as for people going faster, it's because it's what's portrayed on television and movies.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
More lovely words were never spoken Paddy!

To dear, dear Paddy: Thank you. Thank you oh-so-very-much. Maybe I won't give up on men if a few thinkers like you can exist.

As a female college student, the hookup culture is pretty much all that I witness among my single friends-- its come to a point when even some of my closest friends have only had those kinds of relationships, and it saddens me. At times, some of them consider me a prude or a bore because I don't want to *ahem* do things with random people or vague acquaintances. And honestly, if that is what I wanted, I would... but I actually want a relationship with a guy who consists of more than one particular body part. A return to dating would be fantastic-- I'll even pay my own way, make it that much easier for the guy! Are the qualities described by Paddy too much to ask nowadays? Maybe something like my parents' healthy, loving, 25-year marriage is too high a goal to set for myself? Gentlemen are hard to come by in an urban college setting... alas, I continue my search!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An old fashioned movie on HOW TO DATE!!!

Just take it for the light-hearted commentary that it is from a a different time, era and culture to today.

Go on...sit down with your hot cup of Joe for a few minutes relaxation...Watch & smile...:)

Especially the 'weenie roast' suggestion. You've just gotta smile don't you!! :)

Don't you just love these things!! , but reading between the lines, still a lot of good suggestions!!! The sort of thing I'd do on a first/second date would be something physical (like tennis, ice skating, ten pin bowling, horse riding, fun fair..etc) that the both of you can burn off any nervous energy you might have (these things can be stressful!!) and then you have something in common to talk about and laugh over afterwards when you go out for a bite to eat!!

Oh, I've just seen some of the lovely comments in the previous few threads. Thankyou so much, I really had no idea of the importance of those words for some of you. So, thankyou again :)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/giQ-3XA4CU0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/giQ-3XA4CU0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jake431

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:

Before this, in the golden era, divorce was virtually unheard of. People did not make excuses for their hook ups failing, because the so-called hookup was really a non issue. People actually did take time to get to know each other because they were willing to be faithful and committed to one person, regardless if it was always just convenient for them.

I should point out that one reason divorce rates have risen is because women, though still not getting equal pay, actually make enough to support themselves and so divorce is an option for many now, where it once wasn't, economically.

Also, the divorce rate is quite high amongst first marriages, it drops precipitously for second marriages. Seems that once people learn who they are and what they want, they have a much better time finding the "right" person to be with for the long haul.

And in the past, people got married plenty quickly - courtship times have not changed significantly.

Anyway, to stay on topicv, much as I'd like to come down firmly on one side or the other, I find that, between people who take responsibility for their behavior (use birth control, are honest with one another), a "hook up" can yield more that shallow sex for both. Heck, my best friend met his wife at a bar one night, and they've been inseparable ever since. So I know better than to preach damnation or sainthood about this matter.

-Jake

PADDY said:
Just take it for the light-hearted commentary that it is from a a different time, era and culture to today.

Go on...sit down with your hot cup of Joe for a few minutes relaxation...Watch & smile...:)

Especially the 'weenie roast' suggestion. You've just gotta smile don't you!! :)

Don't you just love these things!! , but reading between the lines, still a lot of good suggestions!!! The sort of thing I'd do on a first/second date would be something physical (like tennis, ice skating, ten pin bowling, horse riding, fun fair..etc) that the both of you can burn off any nervous energy you might have (these things can be stressful!!) and then you have something in common to talk about and laugh over afterwards when you go out for a bite to eat!!

Oh, I've just seen some of the lovely comments in the previous few threads. Thankyou so much, I really had no idea of the importance of those words for some of you. So, thankyou again :)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/giQ-3XA4CU0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/giQ-3XA4CU0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Oh man. I see a few things in that sale that I would like to get my hands on. That chair they were putting a cushion on would be great for starters.
Geez, I have been married so long that I doubt I would even know where to start anymore with dating or an LTR as they say nowadays. :p
From what I have read here, I certainly wouldn't fit in very well. I don't have ulterior motives. [huh] Just mark me as happily married and glad for it.

Regards,

J

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Oh geez, I mistyped. I meant ulterior motives. :p
You have no interior motives? How about exterior motives? How about interior decorating motives. :eusa_doh: :D

Regards,

J

He has old-fashioned interior decorating motifs. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara