Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing Back the Hat (article)

barrowjh

One Too Many
nice article, reasonably informative.

I've noticed that new hat wearers are very much intimidated by The Hat, and I think that is why so much of the factory hats and pre-made hats have relatively small crowns and shorter brims than the classic fedora of the 30's & 40's. I visited Optimo last week in Chicago (minor repairs on some of my vintage hats), and we all know that Graham is well capable of making the classic fedora - he made the hats for movies The Untouchables, Road to Perdition, and upcoming Public Enemies. However, all of his made-up hats that were on the racks were more of an understated hat in comparison to the classic look. I suspect that is because only an experienced hat wearer will order a classic looking fedora nowadays; the hats on his racks are for 1st time buyers, and are intentionally a bit 'plain' looking to avoid scaring the 1st time shopper.

duggap

Banned
Notice the homburg. The ribbon bow is on the right side. From the picture it looks like he has the hat on backwards. Hope he ain't the one bringing back the hats.lol

MAB1

Suspended
duggap said:
Notice the homburg. The ribbon bow is on the right side. From the picture it looks like he has the hat on backwards. Hope he ain't the one bringing back the hats.lol

The negative could have been reversed. :D

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Aerol said:
It's more likely that the photo was flipped for the article.

I would agree...it's flipped. Altering photos in a major way or reversing the image to better fit the layout is very poor design.
The article is nice, but bland. Most of the images are from movies.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
The one thing that got my attention about the article is he says you cant wear a fedora with jeans or a polo. I wear mine all the time with jeans or chino pants, I dont see anything wrong with it

harbilly

New in Town
I have my nine favourite hats racked near my door and take which ever one I feel like wearing and don't care about whether the rest of my outfit matches or is of appropriate style for the lid. I don't follow a lot of rules - I like to know 'em, but only so that when I break them, I am aware of what I am doing. I wear my hats with jeans too.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´m a bit afraid of what would happen to the classical hat design if they will gain popularity again. We all know that designers can do terrible things.

MAB1

Suspended
I wear jeans all the time. I hardly ever wear anything else. I'm thinking about getting some blue denim bib overalls to complete my wardrobe. Seriously... Just like my Uncle Ted. Big Fedora, Suit coat, white dress shirt and a pair of bibs. :D

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
My grandad wore overalls, whiteshirt and a fedora all the time, i dont even recall him wearing anything else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL