Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing service back to Department Stores?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Paisley said:
There's nothing wrong with being focused on the bottom line. But I think companies make a mistake when they emphasize service, and then skimp on payroll. Yes, you might get 100 resumes for a job listing; that doesn't mean you can replace one somebody with another somebody.

Too true. Ultimately, treating your employees badly will affect your bottom line for the worse; therefore, it's in your best interest to treat them appropriately. Too few companies realize this.

I'm not terribly well versed on the Depression era; I wonder what the employer-employee relationship was like when there were so many people desperately seeking jobs? Were employers as employee-oriented as they were during the 1920s, or were they more likely to toss someone out in favor of a cheaper employee? (I suspect the answers are "No" and "Yes", going by economics, but it would be interesting to know details.) I know in one of the books I've been reading (1947-49, IIRC), a character mentions that another character can't afford to skimp on pay and expect candidates to still come beating down her door, that times were different.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ShoreRoadLady said:
Too true. Ultimately, treating your employees badly will affect your bottom line for the worse; therefore, it's in your best interest to treat them appropriately. Too few companies realize this.

I'm not terribly well versed on the Depression era; I wonder what the employer-employee relationship was like when there were so many people desperately seeking jobs? Were employers as employee-oriented as they were during the 1920s, or were they more likely to toss someone out in favor of a cheaper employee? (I suspect the answers are "No" and "Yes", going by economics, but it would be interesting to know details.) I know in one of the books I've been reading (1947-49, IIRC), a character mentions that another character can't afford to skimp on pay and expect candidates to still come beating down her door, that times were different.

The common Depression-era approach to labor management issues tended to be "You see out there on the street? There's a lot of people out there who'd like to have your job." It was that attitude that led to so much labor unrest in the 1936-38 era.

Weston

A-List Customer
So far so good! I'm loving the advice. We just instituted a company wide system to track customer data of sizes, etc. Hoping it works out well. I love to help people more than stock shelves, so I sometimes remind the customer that I AM there for them! As I said today "I suppose it'd be nice to get paid to stand around in a suit, but without you I wouldn't get to do it for long!"

In some ways I wish the customers would know that we can go the extra mile, if they would ask. The idea that all the salespeople are ignorant or lazy has unfortunately cut people off from what they should rightly expect.

vintage68

Practically Family
It's gotten to the point where asking an employee for help is not only a waste of time, but counterproductive.

In my experience employees rarely know their own stock, and if I ask a question the usual response is "I'm not sure, let me see if I can find an answer for you," and then they ask you to follow them while they go ask another employee a question they should know themselves.

Case in point: the other day I was at Borders Bookstore, asking if they had a title that would be in the western section. The employee DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAD A WESTERN SECTION!!!! Then, obviously at a loss, he said "maybe try in the fiction section?" When I complained to the manager, she said that the employee had only been on the floor a few days!!! I mean come on, how could taking a tour of the store not be part of the training before you put an employee on the floor?

It makes me crazy!!

So my biggest piece of advice would be: KNOW YOUR STOCK. Not only that, but if your store has a website then know that too, and know what's in the catalog as well. Land's End for example, and Woolrich just to name two companies, offer web and catalog only specials. So if a customer ask for something and you don't have it, you can direct them to the appropriate source.

End of rant.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
In addition to all of the above, please have your staff at least acknowledge the presence of a customer, even if they can't get to that person right away. Nothing, but nothing, irks me more than having to wait until what is obviously a personal conversation between two employees (or one and whomever is on the other end of the phone) is over. I understand the need for, say, calls re: children, medical and all that, and certainly if one is trying to help the other
with a different customer's needs. This is, perhaps, an example of the
earlier poster's comment about "treat me as if I am the reason for your job, not an interruption to it."

The idea about likes, dislikes, etc is a good one. I have good examples of this from larger stores like Brooks Brothers and smaller, more local haberdasheries.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
never judge a book by its cover...

I was on my way back from a fitting and a gentleman with 5 oclock shadow dressed in a tshirt jeans and muddy boots asked for help with some shoes. I took him to the shoe department and introduced him to Floyd {the shoe man} he purchased two pair of bruno magli's floyd then brought him back to my tailor shop and asked for help with shirts and ties. I found Pinkie and she helped him with shirts and ties and then found him a hugo boss suit and a couple of sport coats. Hickey freeman I believe.
The men from the suit department where a little miffed that they ignored the unkempt man with the dirty clothes.

He was the owner of Mark Pi's chinese foods and he was dressed the way he was because he had been at the site of his soon to be built restourant.

I was the tailor so I only did the fittings and sewing, I didnt sell but I learned a lot about selling.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
knowing your stock is important. also, keep abreast of any trends in the industry. also know your competitors so you can extol the virtues of your wares.

as for service, if you make your customer feel like a king, they'll wait for you to be available if you're attending to somebody else. you'll build a rapport with your "regulars" (forgive the term, but i had "pet" customers where i was a retail manager) and that sort of loyalty is rewarded. they definitely made the more trying days better by their presence.

retail is not for the faint of heart. it has it's challenges, but if you like working with people and are a fashionista, you can do it well. most of retail is about service.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Make sure service to the customer is the be-all and end-all and, if you find yourself on the floor with not enough other sales people to help you, let the people in charge know it.

I hate to tell you the amount of money that has been lost because there was not enought help on the floor for the customer. It happened in Sears once, and it happened in Robinson's-May one holiday season when I was ready to purchase a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise and could not find a sales clerk on the entire floor to help me. There was only one -- and his time was being taken up by a demanding customer who kept him preoccupied for the better part of an hour while I stood there fuming. also noted several other people who came and went waiting for someone to help them. That was in Robinson's-May, which, in those days, was still just Robinsons.

Tell them if you cannot meet the needs of all the people on your floor needing attention. And don't let them guilt trip you into thinking it is your fault if you could not get to those clients.

karol

ortega76

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
Make sure service to the customer is the be-all and end-all and, if you find yourself on the floor with not enough other sales people to help you, let the people in charge know it.

I hate to tell you the amount of money that has been lost because there was not enought help on the floor for the customer. It happened in Sears once, and it happened in Robinson's-May one holiday season when I was ready to purchase a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise and could not find a sales clerk on the entire floor to help me. There was only one -- and his time was being taken up by a demanding customer who kept him preoccupied for the better part of an hour while I stood there fuming. also noted several other people who came and went waiting for someone to help them. That was in Robinson's-May, which, in those days, was still just Robinsons.

Tell them if you cannot meet the needs of all the people on your floor needing attention. And don't let them guilt trip you into thinking it is your fault if you could not get to those clients.

karol

As someone who has worked a lot of retail, I can tell you that too many companies are trying to put the minimum staff on their sales floor. As a retail store manager, I have been frustrated by the small staff I am expected to have running a sales floor during peak times. I always urge frustrated customers to call or write to my corporate/customer service folks. TELL SOMEONE besides the store employees. Trust me, there isn't a store manager that doesn't want more people on his sales floor.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
ortega76 said:
As someone who has worked a lot of retail, I can tell you that too many companies are trying to put the minimum staff on their sales floor. As a retail store manager, I have been frustrated by the small staff I am expected to have running a sales floor during peak times.
sometimes the mentality is "if you don't make our forecasted sales, you won't meet budget. if you don't meet budget, we have to cut your payroll." the only problem with that theory is, if you cut payroll, you have less staff to try to make your sales goals for that week. Paisley hit the nail on the head earlier.

companies in general are very short-sighted: it's all about the next quarter earnings to report back to shareholders. to keep making such goals in the short-term, you tend not to plan for the long haul. that means you tend not to take time to groom people for promotion that have great potential, but instead, import people from another company, and then you lose those great employees through frustration and demoralization. i've seen it all too much in my retail days...

Foofoogal

Banned
I just had to add here as I think it is appropriate. Last night we had the best waitress who tried real hard to be successful. I asked how long they had worked there and they asked: Does it show? She had only been on job 3 days. As we were going out the door I made it known to the manager how good this person was.
Sometimes if and when we get good service it pays to tell someone. I have been known to write a short note to main office when someone is extra helpful. I am old enough to remember how it is supposed to work.
I do feel sorry for managers that are expected to do miracles on shortened staff though. Pitiful. I think Lowes and Home Depot are the worst.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Weston,

Here's a golden era tip: instead of saying "can I help you", ask "may I be of assistance". It's much more pleasing to the ear.

I must tell you about my salesman, Al, at my local Jos. A. Bank. He always greets me when I enter the store. If he is with another customer he will at least make eye contact and when there is a moment tell me that he is assisting someone, but "John" is available. I'm a Corporate member, so after every purchase I receive an e-mail thanking me. Al has even called me personally to invite me to an upcoming sales event. You just can't beat that kind of service!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
TraderRic said:
Weston,

Here's a golden era tip: instead of saying "can I help you", ask "may I be of assistance". It's much more pleasing to the ear.

Maybe it's because I'm from out West, but "may I be of assistance" sounds a little affected. As much as I hate bad grammar, "Can I help you" (in spoken form) doesn't bother me at all. :)

Personally, I'd suggest riffing on Paisley's theme with "May I help you?", for less-pretentious but still getting away from teenager-at-McD's bored "Can I take yer order?"

Then again, the sum of my retail experience is fireworks stands for local nonprofits and the souvenirs tent at Special Olympics.

----------------
Now playing: Eric Serra - A Little Surprise For You
via FoxyTunes

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of annoying questions, can anyone who has worked in retail sales tell me where the silly phrase "Are you finding everything all right?" came from?

I understand "May I help you?," or "Can I be of assistance?", but why do clerks in stores now routinely ask if we are finding everything all right?

This is not a question anyone should ever ask a sometimes nihilistic, always a smart-mouth like me.

karol

ortega76

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
Speaking of annoying questions, can anyone who has worked in retail sales tell me where the silly phrase "Are you finding everything all right?" came from?

I understand "May I help you?," or "Can I be of assistance?", but why do clerks in stores now routinely ask if we are finding everything all right?

This is not a question anyone should ever ask a sometimes nihilistic, always a smart-mouth like me.

karol

It's a not very good result of trying to get sales associates to stop asking "May I help you?" I always tried to train my associates to strike up a conversation. "Are you finding everything okay" is just as easy to brush off as "Can I help you".

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not that I go shopping at a bricks and mortar store that often but, when I do, I'd appreciate having a sales associate in the area/section where I'm shopping. Personally, I'd prefer that they appear to be doing something/anything related to their job. Far too often, the sales personnel in a department or speciality store either stand gawking myopically like an expectant oppossum or are blissfully ignorant of a potential purchaser's presence. It's not necessary to ride herd on a customer. Just be there and be aware. If they need assistance, they'll probably ask. If they appear to be confused or in a quandry, then offer assistance. If they respond that they don't need assistance or are just looking, go back to doing something constructive while remaining available. Good people skills are always needed and, generally, appreciated.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Personally, I'd suggest riffing on Paisley's theme with "May I help you?", for less-pretentious but still getting away from teenager-at-McD's bored "Can I take yer order?"

Funny you use that particular example. Our McDonalds has a prerecorded greeting at the drive thru with a generic "May I help you?". It's fine as far as a greeting goes, but I know it's fake, and it bugs me that they can't even greet me, but they're more than happy to take my money. Just one of the many reasons I try to go there as little as possible.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Make the question open ended ?

What do you think about "How can I help you?" rather than the
closed questions? It's too easy to say "No" to the latter. My .02.

ortega76

Practically Family
John K Stetson said:
What do you think about "How can I help you?" rather than the
closed questions? It's too easy to say "No" to the latter. My .02.

I think it all depends on the customer and the associate. I believe that a sales associate needs to be flexible and observant. There are certainly some folks that walk in and have "help me" written all over them. I've been that customer in certain instances- especially when I'm shopping for my wife in an unfamiliar store. There are those that are best approached with a friendly conversation. Sometimes you just have to keep showing a customer stuff.

I trained my employees to be persistent- after all anyone walking is "fair game". Not to be rude, but in this day of the internet you can browse on-line in your PJ's all day. If you stepped in my store, it was my job to sell to you. Not in a rude manner. Not in a pushy way. But I didn't just let you look without some attempt. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner