Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department goes to Round top service caps for patrol

metropd

One Too Many
First let me say five point is the product line by Midway cap co. The hat is rounded style service cap and does NOT HAVE ANY POINTS. The hat is similar to the hat of Detroit PD, Chicago PD, New Jersey State Police, LAPD, San Diego PD, Oakland PD, Michigan State Police, and maybe soon IMPD. The only point style hats are called 8 point service caps and are used by NYPD, SFPD, Baltimore PD, you can add to the list.

Now with that said the Hat Policy will continue to be optional on patrol.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=7862089&nav=menu188_2

Indianapolis - With the mayor soon in charge of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, there could be other changes at the top.

Public Safety Director Scott Newman told Eyewitness News he'd like to revert to the five-point style hats worn by police officers prior to the merger. Newman said the switch was meant to boost morale among the ranks.

Prior to the merger, a committee considered several uniform options for the new IMPD. It ultimately chose the dress blues of IPD and the brimmed or "campaign" hat of the sheriff's department, intending to reflect the traditions of both departments.

"IMPD officers could be changing hats

Updated: Feb 12, 2008 03:18 PM PST

IMPD hats

The public safety director prefers the five-point hat, left, to the current brimmed hats.

Fraternal Order of Police President Bill Owensby

Mary Milz/Eyewitness News

But Fraternal Order of Police President Bill Owensby said one year after the merger, the brimmed hats remain unpopular among many officers. Part of it, he said, is due to the change, but he pointed out practical reasons for the objections.

"They're a little more cumbersome, a little more difficult to wear and move in in an urban environment," Owensby said.

He said the hats also require more care. "The hats have a tendency to roll," he said noting that officers must buy a press to make sure the rim stays flat.

But Owensby also notes that most officers seldom wear their hats - not even for a swearing in.
Democrat Joanne Sanders, the council minority leader, questions the change. "Will a hat only worn maybe two to three times a year do anything to boost morale?" she wondered.

The bigger question: How much will switching hats cost and who will pick up the tab?

Since many officers kept their old hats, Newman says IMPD would need just 400 new ones to cover the former deputies. But at roughly $150 a pop, that's $60,000, more than enough to hire a new officer and at a time when the city faces a financial crunch.

"If they want to find it in their own budget, that's one thing," Sanders said. "But we worked long and hard on the transition and to make this decision when we're scraping for money for everything else I would be hard pressed to approve a new appropriation."

Owensby agrees taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill.

"I think it would be done without taxpayer's dollars," he said. "The bottom line is we have a hat we just don't like and that's not necessarily the taxpayer's fault."

Marcus Barlow, a spokesman for Mayor Greg Ballard said, one option is boosting the clothing allowance and having officers pay. He said besides the hats, they were also considering a switch in uniforms from the dress blues to a battle dress uniform or one that's more of a military style. He said any changes to the uniform will be announced when the mayor officially takes control of IMPD February 29."

Duck

Practically Family
Most officers hate the brim hat. If it is the issued hat, then it is only worn at events that require it with the Class A uniform. I still have my brim hat, that I wore with our old uniforms. The officers in our dept. were very happy with the switch to caps for the Class C uniform. However, most of the officers still do not wear any type of head gear, unless it is bad weather. The hood of a rain coat just stays up better with a cap under it. [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
Am I the only one who cares......? Indycop care to induldge?
I have a round hat and don't like it. It is some kind of polyester crud and real poofy, I do like the hats with the points that are not stiff on the top. The ones that kind of lay down on the sides a little.
The only ones in my area that actually wear hats are the Florida Highway Patrol who wear their campaign hats and some of the surrounding Sheriff's offices who wear the straw western type in green.
Where I used to work if you were caught working traffic or a crash without you r traffic vest AND your hat you would get written up.:eek:

I can also say with the fact that many departments are not buying bigger cars such as the crown vics:rage: , There is no room to wear or keep a brimmed hat in an impala.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking as a civilian, to me, law enforcement personnel wearing headgear communicates the serious nature of their calling. I personally prefer police who look "official" and to some degree, intimidating. It doesn't have to be a Campaign Hat, but headgear that carries the formality of their position.

dean

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 8 point style. We used to wear the campaign hats, but stopped for some reason. Now we are issued ball caps, which I never wear because I don't think they look professional. I would rather just not wear anything. I would love it if we would go back to he campaign style.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
D.W. Suratt said:
Now we are issued ball caps, which I never wear because I don't think they look professional. I would rather just not wear anything. I would love it if we would go back to he campaign style.

I know this is Australia, the 'Land of the Ultra-Casual' where wearing a T-shirt or shorts without stains on them is considered formalwear, but the issuing of ballcaps to police just doesn't look right to me. They've been wearing them here for several years now, and they just don't present the appropriate air of authority. Bring back proper police service caps!

kiltie

Practically Family
The Po-po

San Antonio P.D. wears the Midways: Traffic wears white and Patrol wears blue, so I guess it make sense to distiguish your division. The S.O. guys used to wear straw cowboy hats, but I think they felt they were legitamizing their office when they abandon them about 15 yrs ago. State still wears something along the lines of the OR in sorta tan.

As an aside, in the F.D., the dress cap is a blue Midway along the lines of Chi-town. I took the halo out of mine and wear it all the time; it looks like a mission cap now. However, everyone calls me a taxi driver [huh] . Taxi drivers haven't worn hats since when - 1356? lol

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Patrol caps in Indy?

I remember those, from when I lived there. The big "county sheriff" hats.
I would look at the hats and think of movie lines...
"You ain't frum around here, are ya boy?"
"Whut we got here is a failyuh to comMUNicate!"

The newer ones look a little more metropolitan. Like NYC cops! :eusa_clap

Spellflower

Practically Family
Just the other day I saw some cops on the train and thought how slick the NYPD pointed caps are- a very classic "police officer" look.

I don't really understand the point of the campaign hats pictured with this article, specifically the whole pancake flat brim (which every journalist seems to insist on calling a rim[huh] ). Those hats would look much better and be much more functional with a snap in them.

As for ballcaps, I think it would be hard to take a guy in one seriously. But then I find it hard to take cops in Impalas seriously too. I just have to keep reminding myself that they have guns.:D

Spellflower

Practically Family
I should say, by the way, that it's not just cops in baseball caps and Impalas that I can't take seriously, it's ANYBODY in baseball caps and Impalas. There's just something that screams, "I'm a teenage boy trying to pick up chicks at the food court!!" about both of them.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Spellflower said:
I should say, by the way, that it's not just cops in baseball caps and Impalas that I can't take seriously, it's ANYBODY in baseball caps and Impalas. There's just something that screams, "I'm a teenage boy trying to pick up chicks at the food court!!" about both of them.

We chased a guy once through three counties, and one of the county depts. had Impalas. We had to pass them in order to keep up with the offender. It was really sad. As for as the ball caps, like I said I don't wear it. It's not required.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Considering that there's no such thing as an American car anymore, I don't see why PD's don't buy "foreign" cars which have better reliability and gas mileage (according to Consumer Reports, anyway). As a taxpayer, I'd rather the PD didn't spend as much on fuel and repairs. As for performance, I've heard that some Australian departments use Subaru WRX's, and having driven my friend's from NYC to Pittsburgh, I doubt they would have trouble keeping up with much.

Oddly, the "buy American" ethos doesn't seem to apply to motorcycles, probably because Harleys are really expensive to buy and maintain compared to foreign bikes. A friend of mine works for the Dept. of Transportation in Portland, OR, and he spearheaded a transition from Kawasakis as the standard issue police motorcycle to BMW's because of their superior reliability. The officers who had to ride them didn't seem to mind.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fishmeok said:
Have you guys tried out the Chargers? Some of our locals have them, seem to like 'em a lot, except for the gas guzzeling...
Cheers
Mark
The whole reason for the Impalas is they are the cheapest out there. regardless of the fact that the trunks are packed so tight you can barely cliose them. We have to send all our 07s in for the rear bushings to be replaced already.
I would love a charger but my favorite is still the crown vic. more room in the drivers area.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner