Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITAIN'S LAST WITCH TRIAL (1944)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Very true, although we don't get hanged here, we just get shot or stabbed multiple times:rage: yesterday was the first official murder of the year over here! who's worse the hysteric or the drunk?:mad:

Thanks on the puppies though!:D

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apples and oranges. Violent crime is a worldwide issue, like the poor it's something we will always have with us.

The difference is government involvement or complicity.

What I was trying to point out is that at least NOW in Western 1st world countries we don't allow, say, state-sanctioned revenge killings by familys or the baseless jailing or execution of political rivals nor do governments inflict excessively physically brutal punishments for minor offenses (loss of a hand for theft, caning for littering, etc.). But in this "day and age" such things are still normal in much of the rest of the world.

It's living in Canada in 2007 that saves you from that sort of thing, not just living in 2007.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
carebear said:
Apples and oranges. Violent crime is a worldwide issue, like the poor it's something we will always have with us.

The difference is government involvement or complicity.

What I was trying to point out is that at least NOW in Western 1st world countries we don't allow, say, state-sanctioned revenge killings by familys or the baseless jailing or execution of political rivals nor do governments inflict excessively physically brutal punishments for minor offenses (loss of a hand for theft, caning for littering, etc.). But in this "day and age" such things are still normal in much of the rest of the world.

It's living in Canada in 2007 that saves you from that sort of thing, not just living in 2007.

I kind of see what you're saying now, I misunderstood your perspective in the political, I'm thinking more on the mind set and sheep phenomenon.

Singapore and Saudi Arabia employ caning and dismemberment, and they enjoy some of the lowest crime rates in the world.

As far as government complicity...maybe incompetence is the better term, we've had in recent years a number of 'honor' killings that have gone unpunished, for fear of stepping on international toes. but there are also poorer countries that have less incidents of any violence than we do, I think it's more a mind set than location.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad I finally got clear(ish). :)

I (as a freedom-minded gent) will always gladly trade a little increased risk of personal victimization in crime (I train and prepare to reduce that) for a lessening of overt government interference in my life.

Any time "multicultureism" leads to allowing barbaric behaviour (honor killings) then "mc" has gone too far. That sort of thing needs to be left back home by immigrants, not imported.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Heresy

I hate to get pedantic here, but heretics were hung. Relapsed heretics (those who had admitted to heresy and then changed that admission) were burned. Stakes were not necessarily involved. For example, see 'The Trial of the Templars' by Malcolm Barber, 'Montaillou' by Emmanuel leRoy Ladurie or (even) 'The Cathars' by Sean Martin.

Not that this has anything to do with fedoras...

Alan

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1989403,00.html

Campaign to pardon the last witch, jailed as a threat to Britain at war
Salem experts support appeal to overturn 'ludicrous' conviction
Severin Carrell, Scotland correspondent
Saturday January 13, 2007
The Guardian

Some 50 years after Mrs Duncan's death, a fresh campaign has been launched to clear her name, with a petition calling on the home secretary, John Reid, to grant a posthumous pardon. Her conviction, said Mrs Martin, was simply "ludicrous".

The appeal is winning international support from experts in perhaps the world's most infamous witch trial: the conviction and execution of 20 girls, men and women at Salem, Massachusetts, in 1692. "Helen Duncan was very much victimised by her times, and she too suffered," said Alison D'Amario, education director at the Salem Witch Museum.

Story

I'll Lock Up
007's creator 'was in plot to frame witch'

Ian Fleming helped to gag medium in operation to safeguard D-Day secrets

Paul Kelbie
Sunday May 13, 2007
The Observer

More than 60 years on, the case of Helen Duncan, the last woman in Britain to be jailed for witchcraft, refuses to die. As her supporters seek a posthumous pardon, evidence has emerged that she may have been the victim of a plot involving British intelligence agents, including Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond.

Complete article at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/secondworldwar/story/0,,2078620,00.html

Elaina

One Too Many
I hate to tell you, there is still a stigma with what people percieve as witchcraft.

I read Tarot cards, and have done so long enough that I do it by appointment only (and it's hard to find me as it is), but I've had crosses thrust apon me, called a witch and treated pretty much as if I was in Salem...just for having a deck of cards. (Whatever I personally believe, no one ever knows. I tell everyone I read for as well as have it printed on my cards: This is a parlour trick, for entertainment only.")

This is all over a deck of cards. Can you imagine if I said "Oh I see auras?" or "Let me show you psychometry." I'd said it before and I'll tell others that have ESP or whatever, may be 2007, but if you've got it, hide it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Elaina said:
I hate to tell you, there is still a stigma with what people percieve as witchcraft.
I read Tarot cards, and have done so long enough that I do it by appointment only (and it's hard to find me as it is), but I've had crosses thrust apon me, called a witch and treated pretty much as if I was in Salem...just for having a deck of cards.
This is all over a deck of cards.

...those Muggles! :rage:

chucklehead

A-List Customer
burn her anyway!

GOK said:
Wow that is bizarre to say the least.

Did you know that burning was actually reserved for heretics and not witches? In England there were practically no witch burnings, whilst in Scotland, there were a mere handful. It is a popular fallacy that people still hold to this day.

burn her anyway!

Holy_grail_witch_burn_small.jpg

she turned me into a newt. i got bettah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR