Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITISH COLONIALISM

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I'm getting ready to watch these two movies

3522_8_AllTheKingsMen_W.jpg

All the King's Men
On August 15, 1915, while marching into battle against the Turks in Gallipoli, a British Army unit vanished into the fog. What became of this battalion led by Captain Frank Beck, a favorite agent of King George V? Wrap yourself in a compelling mystery and watch as powerhouse performances reveal the story of a haunting riddle shrouded for nearly a century.

and

mrjohnsonbig.jpg

Mister Johnson

In 1923 British Colonial Nigeria, Mister Johnson is an oddity -- an educated black man who doesn't really fit in with the natives or the British. He works for the local British magistrate, and considers himself English, though he has never been to England. He is always scheming, trying to get ahead, which lands him in a lot of hot water.

Anyone seen them? What are some of your favorites. I know Mojave Jack likes this period, can't wait to see his pick.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike K and I were just mentioning this time period. Mojave Jack and I frequently discuss it. He is building his entire wardrobe around it and it fits in well out in the Mojave where he lives.

I have seen neither of these films, but have seen some of the typical ones: "The English Patient," "The Man Who Would Be King," "Ghunga Din," and "Zulu." I just bought "Lawrence of Arabia" on DVD and would you believe I have never seen it?

I also espouse the gentleman-on-safari look. I can never get enough khaki, if it is done right.

Feraud

Bartender
Oh, I miss the days when Brosnan made interesting films..
Mister Johnson is a favorite of mine! I bought a VHS copy on a whim years ago at a "dollar store". This film needs to be released on dvd.
It is based on a fine novel by Joyce Cary.

Let us know how you like the two films!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mister Johnson is a good film. PB was in another good one called, I think, The Deceivers - of interest to fans of Gunga Din as it is about the Thuggee cult as well.

A number of really good films came out of Australia in the 80s Two of my favourites from that period are both about Australia and British Imperialism, so British Colonialism by extension. The films are Galipoli and Breaker Morant. Both well worth renting.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Here's one I have seen and think is pretty good.

0764005316.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Former Scotland Yard detective Albert Tyburn (Trevor Eve) finds himself in colonial Nairobi, the setting of Out of Africa, as head of a new criminal investigation unit. Imagine an athletic Hercule Poirot in the heat of the Kenyan sun. Superintendent Tyburn's unrelentingly independent policing style is remarkably effective against the murder, arson, blackmail, slave-trading, and other crimes that await him. The most serious impediments to Tyburn's investigations come from pompous Police Commissioner Ronald Burkitt (Michael Byrne) and the elitist, expatriate community's secret passions and vices. The outstanding cast includes Tyburn's talented crime-solving assistants, Constable Jonah Karinde (Freddie Annobil-Dodoo) and Assistant Superintendent James Valentine (Julian Rhind-Tutt), and his romantic interest, Emma Fitzgerald (Susannah Harker). The attractive, strong-willed biplane pilot Fitzgerald bears remarkable similarity to the real-life Beryl Markham, who recounted her experiences in West with the Night. The three episodes, "Private Lives," "Hide in Plain Sight," and "The Sport of Kings," are well written and action-packed. Mobil Masterpiece Theatre's Heat of the Sun will delight fans of fine detective work.

Feraud

Bartender
jake_fink said:
Mister Johnson is a good film. PB was in another good one called, I think, The Deceivers - of interest to fans of Gunga Din as it is about the Thuggee cult as well.

A number of really good films came out of Australia in the 80s Two of my favourites from that period are both about Australia and British Imperialism, so British Colonialism by extension. The films are Galipoli and Breaker Morant. Both well worth renting.
Yes, Pierce Brosnan was in The Deceivers. An interesting film. I read a book recently that claims the "Thuggee Cult" was not as widespread as originally thougth.
Galipoli is a great film. Can I submit The Lighthorseman to this discussion? It is a WWI period film made in '87 out of Australia. It should fit into the thread.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All the King's Men...

Baron Kurtz said:
All the King's men is a good movie. I'm a great fan of David Jason ...
bk

Me too, such a versatile English actor!

If I remember rightly, this is based on one of the 'Friend's' or 'Pals'' Battallions' that were raised right across the UK during The Great War (WW1). So, groups of men from a single work place, or a town or village, would create a Company, and then the Companys would form Battallions representing a locality. Often families (brothers, fathers, uncles, cousins..etc, would be in the same company! fighting and dying together).
In the case of this movie, the company was formed from the estate workers (I think I'm correct in this) from the Royal Household at Sandringham House in North Norfolk. Jason plays the part of the Estate Manager, who in turn becomes the Company OC (Officer Commanding).

It's a great story (true) of camaraderie and sadness at the brutality and often futility of war. But a great watch.

Strangely enough, it's one of those movies that I can remember where I was when I saw it. I was on a staff course in Camberley (UK) with the Army at the time and remember a few people saying that it was on, so I settled down with a cuppa and my homework to watch it!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I really liked All the King's Men. I read a lot of Rupert Brooke's poetry after they quoted "The Soldier" in it, and ended up reading a bunch of poetry from the English Lost Generation poets, like Wilfred Owen. I think the best movies are those from which you come away having been entertained, humbled, and educated, even if just a little bit of each.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Need a proof reader?

The people who designed the cover of Mister Johnson apparently need a copy editor/proof reader. It should say "...a black man TOO smart for his own good," not "...TO smart...".

I know some people nitpick about grammar and word use on FL posts, and I believe that's probably unnecessary. But you'd think a movie studio would read their materials more carefully. Seeing things like that on DVD covers and posters makes me wonder about the quality of what's inside. Can you judge a DVD by its cover?

That said, I just watched The Man Who Would Be King for the first time, after seeing a recommendation for it on this forum, and very much enjoyed it.

Has anybody seen a King Solomon's Mines remake, starring (I believe) Patrick Swayze? I heard somebody talking about it recently, but haven't seen it anywhere. If you've seen it, is it decent?

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Seeing things like that on DVD covers and posters makes me wonder about the quality of what's inside. Can you judge a DVD by its cover?

No you can't example

51m.jpg

the cover is stupid and the movie is totally insane, but good and it gets you thinking.

I put the Swayze movie in my netflix queue and should have a review by the end of the week.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Oh, I miss the days when Brosnan made interesting films..
Mister Johnson is a favorite of mine! I bought a VHS copy on a whim years ago at a "dollar store". This film needs to be released on dvd.
It is based on a fine novel by Joyce Cary.

Let us know how you like the two films!

It would appear, based on the poster having the DVD logo in the corner, that it's already available.

Cheers
Craig

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tips, y'all

I just went to Netflix and put Breaker Morant and All the King's Men on my list, and I'll be monitoring this thread to see what others are mentioned.

What did you think of The Ghost and the Darkness, about the lions of Tsavo? More British colonial stuff. I'm not that familiar with the original story, though I have read a book or two about it -- but it appeared to me that the filmmakers weren't particularly careful about details. I can't comment on costuming, weapons, etc., but I do know that the lions didn't have manes. They can be seen in Chicago, maneless, but in the movie they had resplendent manes.

Despite the potential weaknesses, I still liked the movie -- if for no other reason than the fact that my cat starts stalking around the living room whenever lions are on the TV. (He seems to think it's an exercise video or self-improvement program of some sort. But when they roar, he hides in his favorite chair.)

One of my favorite movie comments about colonialism is when the Sikh minesweeper in The English Patient says he doesn't care for Kipling because Kipling was so obviously convinced that colonialism was the best thing that ever happened to India, or some such.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I liked "The Ghost and the Darkness." I found it thoroughly enjoyable and allow the filmmakers a bit of lattitude to make the lions a bit scarier. The clothes are great, but the story is compelling and all in all, the film is well executed. Good choice.

Feraud

Bartender
Burma Shave said:
What did you think of The Ghost and the Darkness, about the lions of Tsavo? More British colonial stuff. I'm not that familiar with the original story, though I have read a book or two about it -- but it appeared to me that the filmmakers weren't particularly careful about details. I can't comment on costuming, weapons, etc., but I do know that the lions didn't have manes. They can be seen in Chicago, maneless, but in the movie they had resplendent manes.
The Ghost and The Darkness is an o.k. film. It is entertaining and worth checking out. The filmmakers gave it the usual "Hollywood" spin. Michael Douglas' character "Remington" was totally un-necessary. I guess they felt the character of Patterson needed a "great white hunter" to help guide the novice. Having said that I do own the dvd. go figure...[huh]

I believe the male lions in Tsavo do not have manes due to a genetic anomoly?..

The true story as told by Col. Patterson is more interesting than the film. It is a short and necessary read if one is interested in the subject.

The Chicago Field Museum with their Tsavo lions display would be my first stop when I visit the city!

btw, the Field Museum also has another man-eater on display. Called "The Man Eater of Mfuwe". He terrorized Zambia residents in 1991. He was brought down by a Chicago resident hunter because the locals are not allowed to hunt. The government prefers the profits brought in by hunters on safari. That is another interesting story to read.

renor27

One of the Regulars
What a great set of posting

I find this whole thing about British Colonialism very interesting and the clothing wonderful.
As I slowly put together my vintage wardrobe I have been toying with the idea of going all English Colonial. Living in Reno Nevada, the high desert which I have been told is a lot like Kabul I might just be able to pull it off. Going British Colonial would still give me the chance for the formal look ( think English Patient Cairo Bar ) and yet a great set of clothing to be out in the bush and off to school. Plus the whole Colonial thing allows me to run European Motorcycles and Autos.
I bet there was a list published some place on what the well dressed gentleman should take in his truck to say Egypt or Kenya. Any one have such a list or know of a good book on this subject?
David

Feraud

Bartender
renor27 said:
I bet there was a list published some place on what the well dressed gentleman should take in his truck to say Egypt or Kenya. Any one have such a list or know of a good book on this subject?
David
I do not know of one comprehensive list. Check the 19th and early 20th century hunter's autobiographies. I recall seeing lists of necessary items in the different accounts. It will give you an idea of the gear people brought with them.
You can also try the autobiographies of men who fought the desert war in WWII.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Burma Shave said:
That said, I just watched The Man Who Would Be King for the first time, after seeing a recommendation for it on this forum, and very much enjoyed it.

Has anybody seen a King Solomon's Mines remake, starring (I believe) Patrick Swayze? I heard somebody talking about it recently, but haven't seen it anywhere. If you've seen it, is it decent?

The Man Who Would be King! Now that's a great movie! I hadn't thought about that one for the "Favorite Movie" thread from a few days ago.

I wouldn't really recommend the Patrick Swayze King Solomon's Mines. It didn't follow the original story at all, and the acting is pretty marginal. Swayze spends most of the movie sneering and acting aloof. Since it was basically a made-for-TV movie, it's hard to find. It's not really worth buying unless you have a great coupon and free shipping or something.

Feraud, I agree completely on Michael Douglas' character. Patterson was a very capable hunter, and didn't need any help. It's interesting that in his book that episode is relatively minor. The entire book is a fascinating read, and I highly recommend that. It's been reprinted and is pretty easy to find, too. Still, like a lot of those movies, if you know ahead of time that the story is highly fictionalized you can still enjoy it purely from an entertainment standpoint. I liked The Ghost on the Darkness even though it is not very accurate.

That's true about the Tsavo lions not having manes, too. The lack of manes is suspected to be an adaptation to the harser Tsavo environment. Here's a great article on it by Bruce Patterson (no idea if he is related) at the U of Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21