Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITISH COLONIALISM

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Renor27: There's a thread of clothing/accessories lists...

...that may be what you're looking for here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=2340&highlight=adventure

Since you mentioned the "well-dressed gentleman" going to Kenya or what-have-you, I assume clothing is part of what you had in mind.

The idea of a "desert colonial" house in the desert is very appealing to me. I'm personally collecting ideas for a vintage-inspired tropical room -- meaning no brightly colored plastic fish -- but my significant other is none too excited about the concept. I may just have to stick with a classic library with leather and whatnot. We can agree on that one, at least.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Burma Shave said:
The idea of a "desert colonial" house in the desert is very appealing to me. I'm personally collecting ideas for a vintage-inspired tropical room -- meaning no brightly colored plastic fish -- but my significant other is none too excited about the concept. I may just have to stick with a classic library with leather and whatnot. We can agree on that one, at least.

I'm with you! I've been slowly steering our living room to a Colonial look, and I'd like to do the whole house that way. I'd buy out The Bombay Company if I could afford it.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
You know that the Burlington coat factory, Cost plus World Market and TJ Maxx have some nice looking stuff. Similar to the Bombay stuff at a discount prices.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
You know that the Burlington coat factory, Cost plus World Market and TJ Maxx have some nice looking stuff. Similar to the Bombay stuff at a discount prices.

Oh, yes! I'd forgotten about CostPlus World Market! I got some kerosene lanterns for the back patio from there. I usually light one and sit on the patio to smoke my pipe. They do have some great stuff there.

We don't have a Burlington anywhere nearby, but TJ Maxx we've got, too. Pier 1, as well, though they've seemed to slip in quality and variety lately.

Mike K.

One Too Many
The Ghost and the Darkness has got to be one of my favorite movies. The scene traveling across Africa on the front of a train ranks among the best. I agree with those who said the Remington character was not needed. Since the film is based on a true story, anyone know the authenticity of Remington in Africa? I suspect it's just a Hollywood attempt to "Americanize" the film. Regardless, an excellent film about one of the greatest adventures in the history of British colonialism! About those lions...yes it is a genetic phenomenon. There was a good article in National Geographic several months ago about the Tsavo lions.
A few pics from the film...
GD2.jpg
GD4.jpg

GD1.jpg

Now that's the hat I'm after!!

Feraud

Bartender
Mike K. said:
Since the film is based on a true story, anyone know the authenticity of Remington in Africa? I suspect it's just a Hollywood attempt to "Americanize" the film.
There is no mention of a "Remington" character Patterson's book. I assume it was created to give Douglas a role in the film. Nice screen caps btw. I forgot how beautiful the location is! I should give it another viewing.

Mike K.

One Too Many
That could be the one BT. At first I thought it was simply a modified Akubra slouch hat. There are a few close-up shots in the movie that I'll have to review. I recall one in particular that shows the crown vents up close. Not to divert the thread too far from the original topic but since we've also brought up the topic of books, anyone read Caribbean Treasure by Ivan Sanderson? How about William Beebe? I know, they're not about British colonialism per se, but they take the reader back to the glory days of world exploration (1930s & 40s). Ahh the khakis, pith helmets, binoculars, and field journal. :rolleyes: Sanderson's tales of exploration in the jungles of Trinidad (a former Brit. colony) inspired me to follow in his footsteps. I'll have to post a journal/photos in The Steamer Trunk of my recent expedition to document the legendary "luminous" lizard.:fedora:

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
I wouldn't really recommend the Patrick Swayze King Solomon's Mines. It didn't follow the original story at all, and the acting is pretty marginal. Swayze spends most of the movie sneering and acting aloof. Since it was basically a made-for-TV movie, it's hard to find. It's not really worth buying unless you have a great coupon and free shipping or something.

Got it from Netflix today and I only watched the first 1/2 hour. PEEEW. The only cool thing I saw was the dads camp. I was really turned off when Swayze put on a 1950's Buscadero holster as part of his get up.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Gotcha

I'll pass on the Swayze "Mines," then.

There are too many good classic movies I haven't seen to waste my time watching dreck.

I just looked at my Netflix "coming attractions" list and I'm pleased to see that about half of the 30-odd movies on it are things suggested by FL-ers.

Thanks!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Mojave Jack said:
I wouldn't really recommend the Patrick Swayze King Solomon's Mines.

Got it from Netflix today and I only watched the first 1/2 hour. PEEEW. The only cool thing I saw was the dads camp. I was really turned off when Swayze put on a 1950's Buscadero holster as part of his get up.

I think what bothered me the most was that Quatermain was legendary as a hunter and a crack shot, but every time they got into gun battles with the Russians (Yes! There were Russians, that's how bad the intepretation is!), they would all fire about 60 shots each and never hit anybody! What kind of a hunter is that?!

Mike, I'd love to see your photos of Trinidad. Post those soon!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Will do Majave Jack! I have a few digital scans but most of the expedition pics were shot on slide film. I'll try to have 'em posted soon.
-Mike

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
A few pics from the film...
GD2.jpg
GD4.jpg

GD1.jpg

Now that's the hat I'm after!!

Mike, those really are great screen caps. Makes me want to see that movie again. Hmmm, Amazon is always open...

By the by, how do you get those screen caps? I've tried a couple different things but have never gotten one to work.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I've got a couple of programs installed on my laptop that will allow me to play DVDs. The one I used to get the screen caps is Intervideo WinDVD. All you have to do is press a screen capture icon and it's done! I usually play in slow-motion to get the best cap.

renor27

One of the Regulars
getting film clips/ photos

Mike K,
I also was wondering just how you got the great shots.
Did the soft ware you use come with a windows system. I run MAC OSx.5 and can not do this but would really like to. Any one out there know how to set this up for a MAc.
David

Feraud

Bartender
BellyTank said:
Can't you just pause the DVD and do a "PrtScn" (print screen) to get a desktop capture and then crop the shot down..?

No added software.

B
T
I do not think so. I tried the print screen option and pasting the image into another program to save. It did not work. The dvd player that came with my computer (windvd?) did not have any screen caps feature. I had to buy dvd software with the capture feature.
It is really worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112