Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Gentleman

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I always got a sense of false sentimentality from that character. If we are looking at teachers. I would say Michael Redgrave as Andrew Crocker-Harris in The Browning Version might be a good recommendation.

I've seen "The Browning Version". It's one great film BUT it's a product of its time. Though in many way the complete "negative image" of "Goodby Mr. Chips" it does, in the end, express the same sentiment. The great joy that can arise from educating the young, molding men... even if it's ONLY ONE child that "gets it". I love both films though TBV is MUCH harder to take.

Worf

I've seen "The Browning Version". It's one great film BUT it's a product of its time. Though in many way the complete "negative image" of "Goodby Mr. Chips" it does, in the end, express the same sentiment. The great joy that can arise from educating the young, molding men... even if it's ONLY ONE child that "gets it". I love both films though TBV is MUCH harder to take.

Worf

I, too, love "The Browning Version." It is one of three movies made from Terence Rattagan plays that I've seen (there are more out there I believe) - the other two are "Separate Tables" (one of my favorite "under-appreciated" gems) and "The Winslow Boy."

All three share the similar characteristics of having three-dimensional characters placed in morally challenging situations; we, then, watch how they respond to the challenge: who rises to it and who doesn't. His work is impressive and, seems to me, under-appreciated.

And all have versions of English Gentlemen (using a broad definition) in them: some who don't fit the outward mold, but have the true moral character of a gentleman and some who fit the mold outwardly, but fail the test.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Thinking of manners and politeness then Dr. John Watson by Nigel Bruce, with Basil Rathbone as Holmes, not quite so mind mannered as Watson.

If it is an act of selfishness the Harry Fathersham by Heath Ledger in The Four Feathers. Or a stiff upper lip then Colonel Nicholson (Bridge over the River Kwai) by Alec Guiness

Colonel Saito: Do you know what will happen to me if the bridge is not built on time?
Colonel Nicholson: I haven't the foggiest.
Colonel Saito: I'll have to kill myself. What would you do if you were me?
Colonel Nicholson: I suppose if I were you... I'd have to kill myself.
Colonel Nicholson: [raising the glass of scotch he previously declined] Cheers!

Although James Mason in the shooting party plays a fine gentlemen IMHO. Also thinking on Nigel Bruce, most of the cast in the great escape but the one that stands out in that film for me is Blythe 'The Forger' - Donald Pleasance

nigelbruce.jpg

Thinking of Holmes - Peter Cushing.

While not a gentlemen for a lady I would have to nominate Miss Marple

Joan+Hickson.jpg

Not film stars but I think of Ratty and Mole (Wind in the Willow) as true gentlemen although Toad is supposed to be the Gentleman. It is about treating people with respect and having humility and mild mannered that defines a gentleman to me but I can see how the stiff upper lip or keeping cool in a crisis would be seen as a desired quality.

Cosgrove-Hall-Wind-in-the-Willows.jpg

Last edited:

poetman

A-List Customer
While certainly not as mature a story as Remains of the Day, another Hopkins films that came to mind, in which he also plays an English gentleman, is 84 Charring Cross Road. The American protagonist is annoying, but Hopkins is wonderful as usual.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Interesting question: Too often, the perception of the British gentleman will be too narrow, too confined to upper class stereotypes. Of course, this stems from the narrow definition of a gentleman being someone of independent financial means, thus someone who doesn't need to work.
For me, using a broader definition of manners and bearing would suggest the following

David Niven in 'The Way Ahead': A former garage mechanic, who becomes an infantry officer in WW2 and leads his men through training and into battle. All the time he remains true to his men, pushing them when they need pushing and offering assistance when they need it.
the-way-ahead_LRG.jpg

Similarly, I would offer Jack Hawkins in 'The Cruel Sea'. A Royal Navy officer with concern for the men under his command, who struggles with the burden of command. A not disimilar role to the one played by Hawkins in 'The Man in the Sky')
cs12.jpg

These are the sorts of values that i would think define a real gentleman, not the cartoonish stereotypes beloved of so many.

This post raises the notion of noblesse oblige which seems to have fallen out of favor these days or is only used as cynical criticism of any gentlemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925