Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Britishisms sneaking into American vernacular

Flicka

One Too Many
I'm not much of a tea-drinker, but I was always taught that milk goes in second, and never really thought about it. It wasn't until I was older I realised that this was because Milk In First was what "Other People" did. Does anyone else recognise this?

Anyway, I'll take coffee over tea nine times out of ten.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not much of a tea-drinker, but I was always taught that milk goes in second, and never really thought about it. It wasn't until I was older I realised that this was because Milk In First was what "Other People" did. Does anyone else recognise this?

I never heard this, but I was taught that tea with lemon is a "filthy Russian habit."

lolly_loisides

One Too Many

Anyway, I'll take coffee over tea nine times out of ten.

That reminds me of a quote from "Love in a Cold Climate" by Nancy Mitford

Uncle Matthew is talking about his niece, but this more about class distinctions than American English

“Education! I was always led to suppose that no educated person ever spoke of notepaper, and yet I hear poor Fanny asking Sadie for notepaper. What is this education? Fanny talks about mirrors and mantelpieces, handbags and perfume, she takes sugar in her coffee, has a tassel on her umbrella. … It’s a lucky thing that Fanny will have £15,000 a year of her own. … She’ll get a husband all right, even if she does talk about lunch, and envelope, and puts the milk in first.”

Flicka

One Too Many
I never heard this, but I was taught that tea with lemon is a "filthy Russian habit."

In this case, I used Other People as some of my mother's family would - "I'm sure it's fine, dear -- for other people" - meaning lower middle and working class. I had to google it to see if it was something local, but it seems that at least Nancy Mitford uses milk-in-first as a class denominator, and according to Evelyn Waugh, it's what "governesses and nurses" do so I think it holds for Britain/UK/England too.

Stupid to me. I still put in milk second though, but that's because I'd rather have too little than too much milk and it makes it easier to measure to me. If my great-aunt was here, though, I'd forgo personal taste in the interest of rebellion against idiotic and constraining class-icism. :)

Flicka

One Too Many
That reminds me of a quote from "Love in a Cold Climate" by Nancy Mitford

Uncle Matthew is talking about his niece, but this more about class distinctions than American English

“Education! I was always led to suppose that no educated person ever spoke of notepaper, and yet I hear poor Fanny asking Sadie for notepaper. What is this education? Fanny talks about mirrors and mantelpieces, handbags and perfume, she takes sugar in her coffee, has a tassel on her umbrella. … It’s a lucky thing that Fanny will have £15,000 a year of her own. … She’ll get a husband all right, even if she does talk about lunch, and envelope, and puts the milk in first.”

I found that when googling! Now I feel like I should take sugar in my coffee as well, just to rebel, but I absolutely hate the taste. I think I can do a tassled umbrella, though! :)

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Putting milk and sugar in my tea and putting malt vinegar on my chips (fries) are two Britishisms that crept into my diet when I lived in the UK 22 years ago.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I think one reason why Americans don't often have milk in their tea is that American tea is usually so weak (because of the brewing difficulty I described in earlier posts). When you add milk to tea that is as weak as most Americans brew it you end up with something that tastes like warm, watered-down milk.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The British habit of putting in the milk first is because they brew the tea in the teapot first, and they're pouring in full strength tea. We Americans tend to use tea bags, so putting in the milk first would guarantee that the tea would never steep properly in the tepid water and milk mixture.
I personally use loose tea in one of those little self contained strainer doohickeys (what are the called, anyway?). I like my tea (Jackson's or Fortnum and Mason or some other good British brand) good and strong. I use a half teaspoon of honey and a little milk.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I brew my tea in a teapot, having boiled the water in an electric kettle and pouring it as soon as the bell dings and it shuts off. I put the milk into my mug, along with sweetener, and after the tea has brewed poured it in.

When I was in England I was told that it was a matter of taste as to whether you poured the tea into the milk or the milk into the tea, though I do it my way as it's convenient.

I recall once I offered a mate of mine a cuppa, and he gladly accepted having just arrived on his motorcycle in typical cool/damp English weather. He was a bit taken aback at what an American thought of as a "cuppa" when I handed him a typical large American coffee mug of tea!

Funny, despite spending the majority of my adult life in the military I never got to where I could stand coffee, no matter how you tried to doctor it up.

Cheers,
Tom

Flicka

One Too Many
The British habit of putting in the milk first is because they brew the tea in the teapot first, and they're pouring in full strength tea. We Americans tend to use tea bags, so putting in the milk first would guarantee that the tea would never steep properly in the tepid water and milk mixture.
I personally use loose tea in one of those little self contained strainer doohickeys (what are the called, anyway?). I like my tea (Jackson's or Fortnum and Mason or some other good British brand) good and strong. I use a half teaspoon of honey and a little milk.

But insofar I know, and as I stated above, some Brits mif and some don't and traditionally it's a class thing. Why I have no idea, but I doubt it's because the upper classes used tea bags.

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
But insofar I know, and as I stated above, some Brits mif and some don't and traditionally it's a class thing. Why I have no idea, but I doubt it's because the upper classes used tea bags.

The correct way is to put the milk in first. But you're not condemned to Siberia if you happen to do it the other way - Nancy Mitford has a lot to answer for.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I found that when googling! Now I feel like I should take sugar in my coffee as well, just to rebel, but I absolutely hate the taste. I think I can do a tassled umbrella, though! :)

:eek:fftopic: I long for a tassled umbrella, Paragon Fox do a nice one. :)
WL4-thumb.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
BB is correct, coffee morning...tea 2pm onwards -ish but no hard and fast rules over here anymore so don't believe all you see /hear on tv /media.....hardly anyone uses leaf tea over here anymore, I would guess tea bags make up 70%+ of sales so PG Tips, Yorkshire tea, Twinnings English breakfast, Ringtons tea etc etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy