Brylcreem?

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by crwritt, Aug 7, 2008.

1. RitaHayworth

RitaHayworth One of the Regulars

Run away from that hairdresser who razored your hair!!!

I have naturally curly hair and razoring and/or "thinning" is the worst thing you can do for it!!

2. DutchIndo

DutchIndo A-List Customer

I remember using that ! I used to grease my hair for Sunday School and who can forget that jingle.

3. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

I finally had enough of the big hair and used a chemical relaxer. After a week of waiting to wash it, and a couple deep conditionings, the volume is definitely lessened, and it doesn't react to humidity as much. I agree I'll stay clear of the razor from now on.
    The things we do to our hair!

4. brylcreem boy

brylcreem boy One of the Regulars

Lol!! My dad used to grease my hair up for sunday school with it as well, that and wildroot. I remember being just about the only kid in 1975 with slicked down hair at church... luckily he relaxed that standard about a year later.. kids at that age can be pretty cruel!!!

5. Girl Friday

Girl Friday Practically Family

I haven't used that stuff in years. Mostly because there are so many products out now that smell better. It smells fine, but kind of masculine if you ask me. My hair is very coarse and curly, so I do like to use products similar. One of my favs is the Coconut Oil Hair Shine from the Body Shop. Definitely helps with the frizzies.

6. FedoraFan112390

FedoraFan112390 Practically Family

I was wondering if Brylcreem can be used on dry hair?

7. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

I am sure it can but it will work in better if your hair is slightly damp, as after washing. I use VO5 for gray hair, a drop about half the size of a pea and work it in after I wash my hair.

8. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

My father (born 1920) used Brylcreem religiously. He had thick, wavy hair and it helped keep his "short back and sides" part on the left well in place.

I had similar hair (until my mid-twenties, now I sport the Mr. Clean cut) but much frizzier and used it as well (I was a teen in the 80s). It worked in a similar way.

Until now I'd never heard Brylcreem was the product of choice for 50s greasers, I figured it must have been one choice of course. My dad could be called a lot of things, but greaser wasn't one of them!

If you mis or over use something, it doesn't mean the original purpose is lost. And "old guy stuff" is unfair. My father started using Brylcreem in his twenties. As did most men.

Remember, the character Rick Blaine in Casablanca was 37 years old (Bogey was about 41 or so). And he had something in that hair!

9. samtemporary

samtemporary One of the Regulars

Yep - same here. My go-tos are Groom and Cleen (on weekends) and Vitalis (during the week). Both smell good and handle hair pretty well.