Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I finally got a new computer and am able to post pictures. I ordered this hat from Mike Moore in the early summer and wore it a lot during the summer and fall. It's a 100% bunny fur felt hat. The felt is of cowboy hat thickness. I like it a lot and wear it quite a bit even in the winter, although it is a little bright.

Roughrider_01.jpg

Roughrider_02.jpg

Roughrider_03.jpg

The hat is shaped like the 1898 Spanish American War hat. Mike Moore suggested the copper colored ribbon, which sets off the bone colored hat really well. This was originally intended as a beater, but it looks way too good for that. Check Spanish American war books and you'll see this hat shape with the same ribbon. This hat has a 3 inch brim, and a 5.75 inch open crown. The crease is copied from one of the hats from the Rough-rider movie starring Tom Berenger as Teddy Roosevelt, Sam Elliot, Brian Keith and the Gunny.

Later

Last edited:
Reactions: jlw

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post! How wide is that brim? I'd like to compare dimensions with my wide brimmed Gus.

1961MJS

That is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post! How wide is that brim? I'd like to compare dimensions with my wide brimmed Gus.

3 inch brim, 5.75 inch open crown, I think the ribbon is an inch. The model(s) for the hat are in the Campaign hats section I originally was going to get a double layer of felt behind a couple of grommets for a stampede string, but since the hat was dressier than originally planned I didn't do that. Mike Moore took a LOT of extra time and effort to get what I was after, and I really enjoy the hat.

Later

Neophyte

The hat looks great, congratulations! I always enjoy seeing the Major's work, and that copper/bone combo is a winner :eusa_clap.

BobC

Very nice, "61. Will you post a head shot? I'm thinking that would look really sharp. I like it.

1961MJS

Very nice, "61. Will you post a head shot? I'm thinking that would look really sharp. I like it.
HI Bob

I'll get it as soon as I can. My capability holding the camera myself isn't too great. I like the way the hat looks, but my 24 year old son doesn't like it for some reason. I was in Central Illinois over Xmas, but didn't get out much. I DID make it to the Caddyshack in exciting Farmersville IL for their half Fried chicken ($7.00).

I got the idea for the crease for the crown, not the brim here:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/snapshot20070523222431.jpg

Later

Last edited:

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
I got my new lid yesterday. I took a friend and he ordered a pork pie. I also took my son and one of his friends. I kept waiting for that cute redhead to come downstairs but she stayed up stairs the whole time!

On the way I got a ticket for doing 67 in a 55. Those cost $189 if it is your first one. Maybe TN can fill a pothole or 2 with my contribution. After the hat shop, we all went to Memphis for some of Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken.

I must have been over excited on my initial trip because I forgot some of the details. But it looks and fits great.
IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Gee I kinda like that lid also! The redhead wasn't there last May when I visited. Like that color combination, is that the Natural felt? I like the ribbon color and the bow, and the liner. Darned nice lid.

wmc

Familiar Face
Thunderball - what is the color of the hat? Is it the granite.? Brim width and crown? Love that hat!

I got my new lid yesterday. I took a friend and he ordered a pork pie. I also took my son and one of his friends. I kept waiting for that cute redhead to come downstairs but she stayed up stairs the whole time!

On the way I got a ticket for doing 67 in a 55. Those cost $189 if it is your first one. Maybe TN can fill a pothole or 2 with my contribution. After the hat shop, we all went to Memphis for some of Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken.

I must have been over excited on my initial trip because I forgot some of the details. But it looks and fits great.
IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
Brim is 3". The color looks darker than in the pictures. The flash brightens it up too much. I'll try to get a picture in the sun if it ever comes back. I call it a dark gray but MM can tell you for sure. The crown at its highest point as shown in the photo is right at 5".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany