Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget, i.e., "Econo" leather jackets

I'm pretty much set on the 24th Inf. patch, the Western Pacific patch, a leather name tag with the CIB embossed, and the 4 inch US Army patch on the right breast...just like a presidential A-2, well, sort of. But that would be enough, and I don't think it would be overkill.

Think we'll frame whatever we don't use on the jacket. It will look good!

Sounds good for a tribute jacket..although I think I would somehow add his rank,too. He earned it....
HD

I'm workin' on it! Think we can do it on the epaulets and have it understated so it will look OK.

I think you can and they would be pretty easy for a patch artist to make. There are a couple patch makers on this forum and at Vintage Leather Jackets forum as well. They would use a couple of leather squares(same color as A2)..paint the rank on and then sew them to epaulets.
HD

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I think you can and they would be pretty easy for a patch artist to make. There are a couple patch makers on this forum and at Vintage Leather Jackets forum as well. They would use a couple of leather squares(same color as A2)..paint the rank on and then sew them to epaulets.
HD

Thanks for the tip. Just sent an email to a guy who is making a custom 4" patch for my A-2. If he can't do it, I'll check up on the others here for assistance.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Like what your doing for your Dad. I did something similar for my uncle with a G & B. Not as personalized (did do a leather nametag), just something for being there all this time. Your Dad will surely appreciate it.

Just an idea: instead of foregoing the Bronze Star/Purple Heart patches, could they be somehow sewn into the inside lining of the jacket? Keeps the outside look appropriate, yet reminds him each time he puts it on ( and can be shown to others on a need-to-know basis). Just a thought. This jacket is between you and your Dad.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hey TX,

Did you catch that bullion patch that linked to on the previous page? A nice alternative to the leather depending on the cost and look you are going for.

I think the medals sewn inside would be kind of cool as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Austin & Deacon...THANKS! Great ideas. I will look into the inside lining for sewing the badges. And that embroidered Army patch looks very nice. The person who is making a custom leather patch for my A-2 said he can easily make an Army patch (leather), as well as the rank chevrons for a Cpl. Tech. to be placed on the epaulets.

Thanks to ALL of you for your input, this jacket is going to turn out way better than expected!!!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is the name tag we designed...

Name Tag D.B. Oleson.jpg

Deacon - Thanks for the heads up on this site!

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Will the final nametag be in embossed leather for the A2,though? That would look much more period correct in my view rather than a fabric patch.
HD

I bought one of each, leather & fabric. I like the embroidery as it is the correct color for the CIB. The leather tag will be all black with silver imprint. So, he can wear which ever he likes. The tag in the above photo does not have a white border...it is solid black.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Well, we can always get another one...not that expensive. Keep in mind that we are not striving for 100% accuracy in the jacket, but something that will look good, be comfortable to wear, and for Dad to enjoy. 99% of my Dad's buddies will not know the difference, one way or another.

The entire idea is incorrect, as the Infantry never was issued A-2's. That is why some artistic license (just a little) is being employed.

Thanks again for your input. Your suggestions have made a huge impact on what this jacket will look like!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Sorry. I was just trying to give you an idea of a resemblance of WW2 period A2s..nametags..patches and how they were most usually situated on an A2 of that period.
HD

Please! No need to be sorry at all. Thanks to you (and others) this jacket will be far better than it would have been if I were on my own!

And...the black leather name tag has just been updated to brown!!!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Update...having the sleeve patches custom made in leather in 3 1/4" sizing. This will include the 24th ID, and the WWII Western Pacific patch.

These will look FAR batter than the cloth versions I currently have!

Update...having the sleeve patches custom made in leather in 3 1/4" sizing. This will include the 24th ID, and the WWII Western Pacific patch.

These will look FAR batter than the cloth versions I currently have!

Absolutely...good idea. Is that about the size of the cloth patches on your tribute jacket picture? I wouldn't make them much larger than the ones in that pic (unless they will have a leather border) or they might appear too large for a sleeve patch..
HD

Deacon211

One Too Many
Looking very nice!

You may also want to look at these guys...

http://www.wings-and-things.com/LeatherNameTags.html

Like Tipsy Gypsy, they make a beautiful embossed name tag, and as you can see, there is some option to color it. I think TGypsy has the CIB badge already and W+Ts May or may not, but the embossed badges are really cool looking and have a nice WWII flavor.

Also, and not like it matters, but are you sure that his rank is abbreviated as Cpl Tech? I would have thought it would have been TCpl in the same way that a Tech Sergeant is a TSgt or a Gunnery Sergeant is a GySgt.

Just more choices! LOL.

Seriously, it looks damn fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot