Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget, i.e., "Econo" leather jackets

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Too late now, but coulda had a nice G&B A-2 for well under $400...$338 to be exact. It would fill the desire for a "beater". But not too late for a beater from Leather Coats Etc. A decent A-2 from them will set you back $256. I have both of these.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Hi Mike - not yet - exploring options for a beater jacket and I have a Johnson's half-belt to sell (too wide in the shoulders). I'm also contemplating an Aeriel Star slash pocket Fonzie style and am wondering when Aerial Star's half-belt will be available. Basically I'm bored and jackets fill the hole. The only A2 I'd ever contemplate is a beater/generic style since for me the spirit of the jacket are those hastily, mass produced war-time jackets that you don't have to care about too much.

I like that jacket as well. Looks to be an excellent value.

Edward

Bartender
Silverman's army surplus store (www.silvermans.co.uk) here in London has a fair range of budget jackets. They do stock some models by both Schott and Vanson, but also a range of cheaper military and motorcycle designs. They do a Perfecto style from about GBP 100 that's not bad. Not as good as Aero / Eastman / et cetera, though they do compare favourably to my Schott, relative to price. Military jackets here: https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/63/MILITARY/LEATHER+JACKETS/SKU/4-190/Default.aspx

They have an issue G1 for GBP£350 odds - https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...UN+JACKET/0/SKU/4-190-11798-1583/Default.aspx

They also carry a copy of the G1 in their own house-brand, GTH: https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...LIGHT+JKT/0/SKU/4-190-11246-2403/Default.aspx

This one is priced at just GBP150. I've seen both hanging together, and both look great. I don't know that I'd buy the GTH jacket sight unseen, but when I find the time I'd like to have a look at one properly. If it's a decent bit of kit (comparable to the early WPG A2s, say), it could be a nice jacket to kick about in if I wanted a cheaper, plain G1 style as an alternative to the planned AVG jacket I'm working on.

JEFF2468hall

New in Town
First, let us define our terms.

Budget: Equal to or less than $300.

I have been searching, and there are surprisingly a number of leather jackets, including A-2's and G-1's available in this range. And if you shop hard enough, you can find them for under $200.
In one or two cases these are available for close to $100. Yes, I have read the reviews on Amazon, and these "budget" jackets rate 4 to 5 stars in most cases.

Of course, these jackets lack the "snob appeal" of the upper end lines, but that is not what I (or many others) care about. Based on the reviews, many claim these low end A-2's rival jackets costing two, three, even four times as much.

Does anyone here have a jacket that falls into this category? Or...will anyone admit to owning one of these?

I have two. Both were $99, made in China, based on the A-2 design. They are extremely well made, very versatile, take a beating on a regular basis, and come back for more! Plus they are warm with their removable inner lining! And these are over a decade old. These came from Wilson's Leather and Sam's Club. But alas, I will not win any awards with either of these!
I
First, let us define our terms.

Budget: Equal to or less than $300.

I have been searching, and there are surprisingly a number of leather jackets, including A-2's and G-1's available in this range. And if you shop hard enough, you can find them for under $200.
In one or two cases these are available for close to $100. Yes, I have read the reviews on Amazon, and these "budget" jackets rate 4 to 5 stars in most cases.

Of course, these jackets lack the "snob appeal" of the upper end lines, but that is not what I (or many others) care about. Based on the reviews, many claim these low end A-2's rival jackets costing two, three, even four times as much.

Does anyone here have a jacket that falls into this category? Or...will anyone admit to owning one of these?

I have two. Both were $99, made in China, based on the A-2 design. They are extremely well made, very versatile, take a beating on a regular basis, and come back for more! Plus they are warm with their removable inner lining! And these are over a decade old. These came from Wilson's Leather and Sam's Club. But alas, I will not win any awards with either of these!
I'm collector of A2 jackets not necessarily authentic I just like the ones that resemble very very much World War II A2 leather jackets that look really nice or should I say big on the cool Factor. Most I spent on one jacket was maybe $250 but I'm pretty happy with my collection I know a lot about leather jackets material because I've been wearing them for so long.. one of my favorites that doesn't get talked about is the American hide and leather A2 jacket they come up on eBay fairly often I think the company might be out of business I have about five of them one in black two Brown two distressed Brown which are much later and I must say although some people might think it's stiff I'm pretty sure it's some sort of Buffalo leather or heavy duty cowhide they are really sturdy jackets and look really great maybe too stiff for certain people however they're worth taking a look at I have a really nice cowhide one resembles an actual worn World War II bomber jacket very weathered but looks cool... I also have two Burks Bay a2 jacket and also Cooper, 5 Star,Cockpit among others but even to my own surprise my favorite are the ones from American hide and leather and their sturdy as hell

JEFF2468hall

New in Town
Some people don't like them they're not authentic A2 flight jackets but one that you can get for really cheap new or used and I think it's a great jacket is American hide and leather.. a little bit stiff but it's like a Buffalo l e a t h e r that will last forever and they look great you could wear a sweater or sweatshirt underneath I have one that looks an awful lot like a World War II flight jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24