Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget, i.e., "Econo" leather jackets

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
First, let us define our terms.

Budget: Equal to or less than $300.

I have been searching, and there are surprisingly a number of leather jackets, including A-2's and G-1's available in this range. And if you shop hard enough, you can find them for under $200.
In one or two cases these are available for close to $100. Yes, I have read the reviews on Amazon, and these "budget" jackets rate 4 to 5 stars in most cases.

Of course, these jackets lack the "snob appeal" of the upper end lines, but that is not what I (or many others) care about. Based on the reviews, many claim these low end A-2's rival jackets costing two, three, even four times as much.

Does anyone here have a jacket that falls into this category? Or...will anyone admit to owning one of these?

I have two. Both were $99, made in China, based on the A-2 design. They are extremely well made, very versatile, take a beating on a regular basis, and come back for more! Plus they are warm with their removable inner lining! And these are over a decade old. These came from Wilson's Leather and Sam's Club. But alas, I will not win any awards with either of these!

thor

Call Me a Cab
Check out Sporty's A-2 jackets; only $225. I don't personally own one but the quality must be decent; Sporty's has been around a while and sells a lot of pilot supplies and aviation themed products.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Check out Sporty's A-2 jackets; only $225. I don't personally own one but the quality must be decent; Sporty's has been around a while and sells a lot of pilot supplies and aviation themed products.

A-2 Sporty's.jpg And here it is. Anyone tried one of these?

GregO

One of the Regulars
When I am looking for something relatively inexpensive, I look for used jackets. I currently have my eye on a little something from Aero on eBay -- priced at about 35% of a new one.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I agree; eBay is a great place to look. Depending on the timing and the images you can get a great jacket at a really good price.

On topic, I used to have a Willis & Geiger A2. It was a nice, solid garment and I know I paid less than $200 for it. Sold it to a friend when I got a better A2, and I think he still wears it regularly.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just my personal experience, but usually trying to buy a new jacket on the cheap usually results in a cheap jacket. Maybe not a bad one but it won't stack up against the higher end makers. And that's often the problem when you hang around a forum such as this. You'll see all these amazing jackets and you'll be disappointed that your cheapie doesn't measure up quite as well as you hoped. And then you end up sourcing and buying another jacket.

If it was me best bet is to either save up and get something at the better end of the scale (9 times out of 10 you'll end up wanting to do that anyway down the line) or use eBay or the classifieds here or over at VLJ to get a higher end used jacket.

Just my 2c worth.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Just my personal experience, but usually trying to buy a new jacket on the cheap usually results in a cheap jacket. Maybe not a bad one but it won't stack up against the higher end makers. And that's often the problem when you hang around a forum such as this. You'll see all these amazing jackets and you'll be disappointed that your cheapie doesn't measure up quite as well as you hoped. And then you end up sourcing and buying another jacket.

If it was me best bet is to either save up and get something at the better end of the scale (9 times out of 10 you'll end up wanting to do that anyway down the line) or use eBay or the classifieds here or over at VLJ to get a higher end used jacket.

Just my 2c worth.

Agreed. I am just now buying my first leather jacket at the age of 22 and had to save for it… but I'm doing it right the first time:)

Edward

Bartender
I suppose it all depends what you want. If you're after the mythical $100 jacket that's every bit as good as an Aero, well.... you won't find it. It doesn't exist. That said, if what you're looking for is a very basic jacket in a style like the Brando / Perfecto type that's something you can throw on, wear anywhere, and not be too precious about... well, that's possible. All depends what your tolerances are. FWIW, a couple of years ago I picked up a Wested Raiders in goat, with the intention of it being a warmer-weather leather that I could take with me on trips to foreign climes, something which, if lost, wouldn't bring about the end of the world. Used I think I paid a little over GBP50, mint condition. (New is in and around GBP100 more). It's no Aero, but it's a decent enough, basic jacket that does what I need of it. If I wanted a great jacket, I'd buy the Aero every time, but this is my go to for those trips to China where it's often the case it'll be too warm all week for the jacket anyhow, and for which in any case my Aero will always be too much. The difference, I suppose, between an old tweed jacket for kicking about in and a favourite suit....

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This jacket will be given away in the end, so that is why I have the budget stated. Ebay? That runs hot and cold...not too keen on a garment worn by someone else, perfumes, odors, wear and tear, etc.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I had a leather blazer from Wilsons Leather that cost about 40 dollars and was no great shakes quality wise. Lots of fun to wear though, and I daresay the leather blazer is one of the few jacket styles that looks better in el cheapo leather. I honestly wouldn't want to own a high quality one with thick leather, it'd look bizarre if you weren't 6'7" and built like Wladimir Klitschko.

RailRoad

Familiar Face
I got one of the Air Force Landing Leathers A2s off Amazon 7 years ago that's still going strong. Their priced right now at 119.99 and free shipping in medium or large. If you want to go that route.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, the "Landing Leathers" A-2 had been under consideration. And the reviews on the jacket were mostly VERY positive. Can't beat the price.

That WPG Goatskin A-2 looks very, very nice. Again, the price is right. I will investigate these a bit more. Thanks!

I had found an Alpha A-2 for $190, but was a bit late as they were all sold out of size M and size L.

edit: Looking more at that WPG A-2...it looks as good as any jacket viewed yet. But, we all know the web photos almost always look good.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes, the jackets pictured are not even the jackets the 'maker' sells! :eeek: Caveat emptor to the max in this game...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I got one of the Air Force Landing Leathers A2s off Amazon 7 years ago that's still going strong. Their priced right now at 119.99 and free shipping in medium or large. If you want to go that route.

Here are some actual customer photos of the Landing Leathers A-2...plus a comparison photo with a HH in russet...

Landing Leathers A-2.jpg Landing Leathers A-2 Patch.jpg Landing Leathers A-2 interior.jpg Landing Leathers A-2 back.jpg Landing Leathers A-2 #4.jpg Landing Leathers A-2  Lost Worlds Dubow HH Russet.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Based on the customer photos and feed back, plus the recommendation from RailRoad, might just give this one a try. I can always send it back!

$119...free shipping, free returns...are you kidding me? Ha!

Here is my plan as to how to customize the jacket for my Dad...

102_4524.jpg

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Update: Just ordered the A-2 from Alpha Industries, directly from their website. Complete cost with shipping is $264. They have a fantastic return/exchange policy is one reason I went with them. Plus the jacket has a one piece back...thank you Doctor Strange!

And, my trying on and examining their leather goods (and satin) up close and personal while in Frankfurt helped with the decision.

If you sign up on their website for email updates, you get an immediate coupon for a 15% discount on your purchase. I actually got this direct from Alpha for less than the jacket goes for on the Bay!

Alpha A-2 goatskin.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot