Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bullet bras and 50's dresses?

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I suggest looking for a vintage merry widow or bustier--if you can find one in your size, they really create the best lines (they really nip in the waist and boost the bust for that perfect hourglass shape:))

I've been looking all over for one of those ... do you have any good sources?

GOK

One Too Many
I think Orchard Corsets on Ebay probably do them, plus Girdlezone might have a few. WKD no longer sells the Lady Marlene range. Rago is a particular favourite of mine for shapewear but I've not tried any of their merry widows or bustiers.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thank you for all the suggestions ladies! I've been meaning to get a bullet bra-esque bustier or merry widow for awhile now, so I might as well chance it and see if it works out!

Lady Day said:
Well being primarily a 50s gal, Id recomend having the bust taken in. You could get a bra just for this dress and then just not like the look of it.

See how hard it would be to have the garment taken in. Then decide.

Good luck,
LD

Well I had my friend take a look at it and she said it was constructed very oddly. I don't know anything about garment construction, so I can't really explain it, but I think the bodice portion of the dress is all from one piece of fabric and the sleeves are sewn on in a very strange way.

Since it's deadstock, I don't want it to get messed up by a shoddy tailor!

GOK

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
Well I had my friend take a look at it and she said it was constructed very oddly. I don't know anything about garment construction, so I can't really explain it, but I think the bodice portion of the dress is all from one piece of fabric and the sleeves are sewn on in a very strange way.

Since it's deadstock, I don't want it to get messed up by a shoddy tailor!

Are you able to get some clear photos of the bodice and post them? There are enough experienced sempstresses here to be able to let you know how to go about it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
You need the anatomically correct foam rubber version, which fills out the points perfectly ;)

do you know where a gal could find a pair of those? i've only seen the ones like those posted by Miss Bella Hell. that type works perfectly for me, but i'm small-chested, so it could be that those more well-endowed ladies need something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic