Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bullet bras and 50's dresses?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Okay, so I know this board doesn't focus on the 50's that much, but I imagine you girls might be able to help me out. I bought a gorgeous deadstock 1950's dress at the vintage expo, and didn't get to try it on all the way (there were buttons at the top I couldn't reach, and my boyfriend obviously couldn't just waltz into the ladie's room), but I bought it anyway.

So when I recently tried it on, I was shocked to find out that the bust is much larger than I expected. This happens often, though I'm small-chested (34B to be exact!), the bust on 50's dresses always seems disproportionately large compared to the waist and hip sizes. Could this have been because of bullet bras? I personally don't own any padded bras, let alone bullet bras (don't wanna fake anyone into thinking I'm a DD!), but I'm thinking one might come in handy with this dress.

My roommate, who sews and makes her own clothes, told me there's no easy way to tailor the bust of this dress. I know the proper foundation garments are pertinent to getting vintage clothes to look right, so could my lack of a bullet bra be the culprit? Or should I just get a boob job (kidding!)? ;)

GOK

One Too Many
A bullet bra will give you the right shape but I very much doubt it will fill the dress out much. You may need to alter it after all...but don't do anything until you've tried it with a BB!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
A bullet bra might help--you can also try picking up a pair of falsies (which smaller busted women wore then) or just a simple padded bra (which will have a rounder shape if you are wearing a modern bra, but will still help fill out the dress.) The effect doesn't have to be dramatic, just a little boost ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see bullet falsies on ebay all the time!
pads_white1.jpg

If the bra doesn't work and you can't get the dress tailored, I am sure one if us larger-busted gals would be happy to buy the dress from you! ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

I bought a slightly different pair then that style on eBay--mine are foam rubber, anatomically correct ones and they do work great for an extra boost (and they came in the original packaging, which revealed the brand's hilarious name: "Gay Deceivers" lol)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I bought a slightly different pair then that style on eBay--mine are foam rubber, anatomically correct ones and they do work great for an extra boost (and they came in the original packaging, which revealed the brand's hilarious name: "Gay Deceivers" lol)

:eek: I always thought Tennessee Williams made that up!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a black pair just like the ones above, which I bought in order to make a long line bullet strapless more pointy. Maybe I'm wearing them incorrectly, but for some reason they don't seem to make a difference. Isn't that odd?

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
pads_white1.jpg

If the bra doesn't work and you can't get the dress tailored, I am sure one if us larger-busted gals would be happy to buy the dress from you! ;)

Those are scary.

GOK

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
You need the anatomically correct foam rubber version, which fills out the points perfectly ;)

I cannot see those words without thinking of a song by Voltaire;

"He's fully functional and anatomically correct"

(The Sexy Data Tango!)

lol lol lol

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
I am currently in the process of ordering a Whirling Turban dress (thanks to this board!), and they suggested a "Lady Marlene" bra, if one can be found. They said that line hasn't changed their style since they first came out in the 50's (I think it was the 50's). I happened to find several at the local Ross store, but they were all really, really large. So I guess I will scour ebay. But those pads posted here look useful as well!

So it looks like it's either tailoring, mondo padding, or a combo of both for pigeon toe, eh?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well being primarily a 50s gal, Id recomend having the bust taken in. You could get a bra just for this dress and then just not like the look of it.

See how hard it would be to have the garment taken in. Then decide.

Good luck,
LD

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
I really wouldn't recommend the Lady Marlene bras. They may be styled similarly but they aren't built in the same way. :(
Any other recommendations then? I'd like for my dress to have a vintage silhouette/shape, not just stylings.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
The problem I have with Lady Marlene stuff is that I have one bustier that fits perfect. So I thought "Oh my god, I must buy more of those!!!" and went to buy a bunch of them... But than I realised that they are way to large for me (and it takes a lot to be so). So I have one I can highly recommend and the others that are way too big.

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I think http://www.whatkatiedid.com sell Lady Marlene and Rago items. I did did buy a Lady Marlene long line bra from ebay (again 'What Katie Did') but it was a 'lil tight around my waist so I sold it on. WKD are excellent tho - postage isn't that much, even to the states, and so if you bought one and it wasn't right I'm sure you could return it easily and with little extra cost to yourself!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Any other recommendations then? I'd like for my dress to have a vintage silhouette/shape, not just stylings.

I suggest looking for a vintage merry widow or bustier--if you can find one in your size, they really create the best lines (they really nip in the waist and boost the bust for that perfect hourglass shape:))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy