Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bumpits

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks nice, and a question.

The looks with the Bumpits are very becoming on you, pretty faythe. The sixties look is the one I'd go more for, and these look like they'd do the trick. I have a gift card I earned and a coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond and they say they have the sets there. Since Bumpits don't come in red, do you think the light brown would be the best for my hair color? My hair is still the same color as in my avatar, when I was 19. Thanks for any help, gals.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
The ones I have are dark brown/black I figured my daughter would play with them more than I would (which she hasnt). And even with the shorter hair, the bumpits aren't seen. So the blonde or light brown should be good on you.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
pretty faythe said:
They're 9.99 at wal-greens.
Set of three.

Bought 'em this morning before work, thanks, good looking out!

I got the light brown. Even the medium looks pretty tall on me. I wore it with a headband and got kind of a nice sixties effect.

The girls at work thought it was pretty funny. The guys made no comment except one Baby Boomer did a bit of a double-take.

A guest visting the office who was a bit older was ENCHANTED, it was the funniest thing. He shot me a peace sign on the way out. lol

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Bump-its Commercial RANT!

What kills me about the commercial is how they STRESS the ability of the bump-its to help you keep up with the "latest fashion trends" and "modern looks" which is fine if you wnat the aforementioned "fish fin look" which on most girls looks anywhere from pretty to majorly YUCK.

But then all the girls are in these huge Ronettes/Shirelles/Supremes-like bee-hives laughing their heads of, while I'm thinking "Yeah that's modern... for like 1963!"

No offense and I'm not trying to sound like its a bad thing I love the 60's look, and I love how Faythe looked using the bump-its, but 1963 and 2009 are not exactly fashion/hairstyle dopple-gangers.

One girl they had on there to show one of their so called "hip, trendy new looks" even looked like the 60's singer Lulu!!!

So for 60's looks and other retro-looks they seem great... But I have yet to see any girl around me looking anything like Lulu, or doing anything other than a half-hearted pomp like in the WHALE picture Caity Lynn posted. Which is getting VEEEERY Tiring.

Hope I didn't offend anybody... I didn't mean to...

It just seemed to me to be a very jarring anachronism of sorts....

Anyone else catch this?...

cecil

A-List Customer
I see what you mean, but really, there's just so much recycling in fashion that it's pointless to get angry about it.
In the 80s we had the 40s revival, boxy suits were in and hair got decidedly "pomp"-y. Then in the 90s there was a 60s revival for awhile there, with alot of people wearing decidedly go-go looking club outfits. In the early 00s, 70s-style flares and "boho" was in, in 06-07 high-waisted 80s jeans made a comeback and there was a brief fascination with 80s neon.
Now the red-carpet looks with wavy hair, gowns and red lippie are decidedly old-hollywood and structured shoulders, well-fitting skirts and loose leg, tailored slacks evocative of 40s fashion are all the rage.
All of these looks were recycled (if slightly altered), but when they WERE recycled they were decidedly 'modern', because that is the fashion that's being dictated at the time. Beehives, flicky eyeliner, smooth wavy hair etc are by no means modern in the "brand new" sense of the word, but they're "modern" because they're what's in currently.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I agree Cecil. I also don't mind the "whale" look referred to above. It's come and gone many times but it still seems pretty common. I specifically remember a popular girl in middle school wearing her hair like that in the early 90s.

What's interesting to me is that the company produced the product in the first place. It seems kind of fun and gadgety and modern to have the option to purchase such a product.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
I see what you mean, but really, there's just so much recycling in fashion that it's pointless to get angry about it.
In the 80s we had the 40s revival, boxy suits were in and hair got decidedly "pomp"-y. Then in the 90s there was a 60s revival for awhile there, with alot of people wearing decidedly go-go looking club outfits. In the early 00s, 70s-style flares and "boho" was in, in 06-07 high-waisted 80s jeans made a comeback and there was a brief fascination with 80s neon.
Now the red-carpet looks with wavy hair, gowns and red lippie are decidedly old-hollywood and structured shoulders, well-fitting skirts and loose leg, tailored slacks evocative of 40s fashion are all the rage.
All of these looks were recycled (if slightly altered), but when they WERE recycled they were decidedly 'modern', because that is the fashion that's being dictated at the time. Beehives, flicky eyeliner, smooth wavy hair etc are by no means modern in the "brand new" sense of the word, but they're "modern" because they're what's in currently.

I get what your saying and really I'm not angry as much as I am disappointed about that little discrepancy... But I expect nothing less from info-mercials ya know?

Blondie

Practically Family
when i saw the topic name of this thread i thought it refered to
bumpits as in "armpits" & couldn't, for the life of me, think what there would be to discuss about bums (australian for butt ) & bumpits........:eusa_doh:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Too funny, Blondie. My Australian fiance won't stop going "heh, heh, bumpit." Boys!

I like the bumpit because with my coarse hair, I get a tremendous amount of volume with NO hairspray or product! None! I could probably do a beehive, if I knew how, with NO stickiness. I hate putting a hand to my hair and feeling hairspray, so I'm a happy girl.

Aarika

New in Town
I am really against bumpits. I think it's because I think they look cheap and I'd rather just do it the old-fashioned way. Putting a piece of plastic on my head hidden under my hair would feel cheesy to me. Also, they never look like they look in the commercials; they never give that much volume. I used to be very into the '60s look (still do it sometimes) when I was in my teens. It's not hard to do that hairstyle and it looks a heck of a lot better when you do it yourself. You just need to blow dry the top of your hair upwards with a volumizing brush, hairspray the roots and backcomb the heck out of them. Then simply cover it with the front hairs. With a little practice, your hair can look just like Sharon Tate's. You don't need a plastic thing on your head. ;)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I think they would be super helpful, especially for us thin fine haired gals.
I spent half an hour trying to get a good back pomp the other day. It didn't turn out at all....believe me, I could have used a little plastic help there. lol

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Just saw them at my local wal-mart. I was talking about creepy Alice in Wonderlands and in mid-sentence pointed and walked off over to them,much to the two males I was talking to surprise. I proceeded to laugh out loud,explain their purpose to the befuddled guys, then squeal over the hip flasks that I'd been looking for and had finally found because they were next to the bumpits. The guys were seriously amused.

Tikismall

New in Town
I just bought some and I love it.
I did some bleaching on my hair and backcombing is out of the question.

The bumpits are fun! I am not against anything that can create the fabulous illusion of big hair or just something different for my overall look.

I see no harm, I dig the beehive I can rock with ease and not worry that my poor hair is going to break off from massive amounts of hairspray.

I say try em out!
Tacky, cheap or whatever.
Who the heck is gonna know you have one in your hair anyway if they can't see it? ;)

ArmyWife

New in Town
Bump its are great!

Hello, all! (New to the site...)

Just wanted you to know that I am SUCH a huge bump it fan that I purchased two sets and wear SEVERAL in my hair at once. I will look for some closeup shots with them in but here is one from a random night out...

army

As you can see, I can ride mechanical bulls and those bad boys don't budge. I have very heavy hair so teasing falls flat in a hot bar... but not my bump its!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
August's Harper's Bazaar has Bumpits on their "Get Gorgeous for Less , cost-saving good looks" page as an alternative for going to the salon to get a glamorous new look. I still haven't gotten mine yet, but I figure on wearing them when no one is going to run his fingers through my hair, in other words I won't wear them when hubby is home on leave.

kekecat

New in Town
hmmm nice idea to get some height without killing it with backcombing!

As long as it doesn't get to Amy Winehouse proportions I think it looks pretty chic lol

Antje

One Too Many
I saw those on a dutch kinda Ebay site,
but I can't find them in stores yet.

I have red hair and I saw there are only black and blonde ones,
I don't know if I will need the blond or black ones.

I am kinda great with teasing and I have a rat, so maybe I won't need them
but I like new stuff to try it out

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Antje said:
I have red hair and I saw there are only black and blonde ones,
I don't know if I will need the blond or black ones.

Antje, I have red hair too - I'm pretty sure there are brown ones, but in our case the blonde seems to work best.

I saw them in the As Seen on TV store yesterday, and was really tempted....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo