Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burial Jacket for a Hero...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My Dad, Cpl. D.B. Oleson, 24th Infantry Division, US Army (Ret.), passed away Thursday, July 24th at the age of 90. He absolutely loved the WWII "Honor A-2" I made for him. He chose to wear it in eternity. I bought him a new shirt, slacks and tie to match, just like Army Air Force. He looked to be in full military dress. This was proper and fitting as he was a lifetime member of:

The Purple Heart
The VFW
The American Legion
The Disabled Vets
The 24th Infantry Division

I honored my Dad by doing a eulogy. I highlighted his life, with special attention to his service from 1944 through 1946. This man saw more terror and pure hell in two years than a man should see in ten lifetimes.

He earned the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, just to name two of his awards. The world today is better because of him being here. Not only was he my Dad...he was my best friend.

Scan.jpg P1010395.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Very sorry to hear that TX. I know you had been putting together that jacket for the old boy and nice to hear he got to see it.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
A huge debt is owed on my behalf to those of you who provided sound advice and direction in the making of Dad's A-2. Because of your input, the jacket turned out far better than I could have done on my own! I wish all of you could have seen Dad last May when the jacket was presented to him.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
One more thing to share with you...my Dad's casket had 4 Eagles, one on each corner. It was his wish that the Eagles be removed, then presented to the kids. We each got one. Also, the shell casings from the rifle detail who did the military gun salute were gathered up and presented to the family...here is a picture.

P1010423.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
So sorry to log in this morning and see this sad news from you, TX. My deepest sympathies at your painful loss and that of your family.
I'm so glad the jacket turned out so well and he was over the moon with it. That's a bulls-eye of a gift you had made for him. Bravo.
May he rest peacefully. He played his part in making the world a better place when it mattered most, and sounds like a great dad too.
With best wishes.

IXL

One Too Many
I'm so sorry for your loss, and the world's loss of another member of The Greatest Generation.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Very sorry for your loss.

That jacket was a wonderful gift and it turned out great. I think any vet would've been proud to wear it.

Fair winds and following seas for your dad and my thanks for his service.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
So very sorry for your loss. There are few left from "The Greatest Generation." We are free today because of service men like your Dad.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear your news TX, my condolences to you and your family. We today, owe so much to your Dad and men like him.

D

Deleted member 16736

My deepest condolences on the passing of your beloved father and war hero.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Thanks again for all of the kind words and thoughts. You die as you lived...my father was kind, gentle, caring and courageous right up to the very end. I was with him when he took his last breath.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
My deepest sympathy to you and greatest gratitude to your father for his service to us all. My father, a Marine, left this world far too young. My brother and I have cherished his box of service photos and insignias. I always knew he looked down and "winked" at me, the Air Force Capt; I'm certain your father is doing the same to you. An incredible tribute to him.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Sean Collins is the individual who made the custom 5 1/2" Army patch. Note that it is made from individual pieces of dyed leather, then all stitched together...no painting here! It turned out spectacular and I would recommend his services to anyone interested. He has a long wait list, so you need to get your order in early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR