Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buscemi needs a smaller Homburg

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I wonder if that's how the real Nucky Thompson wore his flower? Apparently he had a new carnation freshly cut each morning to put on his jacket. Perhaps the way in which Buscemi wears his is the way Thompson preferred it.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
MisterGrey said:
I wonder if that's how the real Nucky Thompson wore his flower? Apparently he had a new carnation freshly cut each morning to put on his jacket. Perhaps the way in which Buscemi wears his is the way Thompson preferred it.

Not really, unless his preference changed to a tilted-back style when he got older.

4c6095688b5d1.image.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I believe the man whom the character is based on is named Nucky Johnson.

Also, Buscemi wears, in most of at least the first two episodes, what appears to me to be a dark brown homburg, and yes, it does look too big on him. But then, Buscemi is either made up to look old and emaciated, or he just happens to look that way naturally. That in itself seems to make the hat look too big for his head. Either way, he is terrific in the show.

Ive been thinking about how he would look with a smaller proportioned homburg. It would change the nature of the image of his character. I wish I could create on the page the image I see in my head.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
Actually, I believe the man whom the character is based on is named Nucky Johnson.

D'oh!

I knew about the Johnson/Thompson thing, but couldn't remember which was the real name and which was the screen name.

Anyone have any idea why they changed it?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
D'oh!

I knew about the Johnson/Thompson thing, but couldn't remember which was the real name and which was the screen name.

Anyone have any idea why they changed it?

Probably so they wouldn't be straightjacketed into doing a straight bio - if the character is merely "based" on Johnson they can go in many different directions.

Also, Johnson was only 38 years old at the start of Prohibition, which would make Buscemi's casting problematical if it were done as a docudrama.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I'm very bad at pegging people's ages-- does Buscemi really look that old? I could believe that he was fortyish (not a far cry from 38), especially in an era that didn't have the happy amenities of modern living. Here's a pic of the real Johnson, apparently from around the time when the show takes place:

4c6dd5f2f2c47.image.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
I'm very bad at pegging people's ages-- does Buscemi really look that old? I could believe that he was fortyish (not a far cry from 38), especially in an era that didn't have the happy amenities of modern living.

I think Buscemi looks every day of his 53 years when the camera zooms in.

steve_buscemi--300x300.jpg

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Whoah, waitaminut-- is that a notch lapel tailcoat he's wearing? Why hasn't a rogue Lounger tracked him down and beaten him silly yet?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Getting back to Nucky's homburg, at the end of episode 5 his hat topples to the floor - sure looks like a Dobbs liner crest/sweatband logo to me. Wide, brown sweat makes me think it's not a new one, either:

5101968845_9cff1c80c1.jpg

Mulceber

Practically Family
Just curious, but do we have any info on who supplied the hats for Boardwalk Empire? I know Bencraft hats supplied some of the more minor hats, such as the Newsboy caps, but what about the Fedoras? I've noticed a lot of hats that look like they feature Optimo's oxblood color - although I could be wrong. Could it be Optimo? -M

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Just curious, but do we have any info on who supplied the hats for Boardwalk Empire? I know Bencraft hats supplied some of the more minor hats, such as the Newsboy caps, but what about the Fedoras? I've noticed a lot of hats that look like they feature Optimo's oxblood color - although I could be wrong. Could it be Optimo? -M

If they were having them made, I'd expect them to be more accurate to the late 'teens/early 20s. I'd guess they're getting them from a theatrical costumer or some outfit that supplies vintage props, based on the '50s Dobbs homburg that Buscemi was wearing last week. Here's an interesting article on the clothes that were made for the show in Brooklyn - nothing about hats is mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy