Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Tucker Man - amazing bash

swisslet

New in Town
I was watching the Ray Mears programme on Australia this evening and he featured a chap by the name of Les Hiddins - The Bush Tucker Man. He's apparently extremely well known in Oz for his love and knowledge of the bush.

The thing that struck me though was his remarkable hat.

hiddins01.jpg

It's his trademark - apparently it's an Akubra Sombrero, but Les himself was saying how it used to be the standard bash put into a hat by the stockmen in Queensland when he was growing up, but is now only rarely seen.

hat.png

I've never seen anything like that before...so thought I'd share as maybe you guys might find it interesting too. It's very broad brimmed, with the edges of the brim turned up, and with a very deep centre crease - so deep that it practically has two sharp creases on either side and a canyon between.

Amazing.

Anyway. Thought I'd share.

ST

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Yesterday evening, I chanced upon this tv programme, two guys wearing a hat in the australian wild, and -lord behold- here was this guy with a hat looking very much like the kamm tail of an old Le Mans style prototype car. I was wondering if I shouldn't write about it on the forum, without any means of posting a picture of something seen on TV.
But here you are... just looka that hat. Equally amazing is how he seems to have self-rolled a great portion of the brim.
The way the hat looks, I think it might not blow offa his head in strong wind, looking "aerodynamic".
Amazing hat!

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
that's MAJOR Hiddins OAM.

The hat in the photo seems like an exagerated cartoon of his bash.
The hat he wore for the filming of the series now lives in the Australian National Museum, so that one must be a new version of the bash. I think I prefer the old, I just don't know about that backward lean in the picture above.

compare it to this shot
les03b.jpg

swisslet

New in Town
that's a great video woodfluter - shows above anything else that he's not really trying to make a statement and that his hat is a practical item. It keeps the sun off his head and he's not afraid to throw it around.

It's what Akubras were made for.

Tough landscapes need a tough hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda