Button placement on cuffs

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jul 26, 2020.

1. ton312

ton312

I’ve been pouring over all your posts on Sears Hercules jackets Terry. You’ve had (and I’m sure still have) some incredible examples. I’ve decided to sell off everything else I have and make these jackets my sole pursuit. I’ll keep the Goodgal and the Bates but everything else is outta here.

jonbuilder likes this.
  2. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

Dave Himel talks about the Reece button hole machine in this podcast and I think uses one in one of his videos
    https://www.heddels.com/2016/03/podcast-5-dave-himel-himel-bros/
    Starts at around 51 minutes

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Marc mndt likes this.
  3. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I saw you were looking at the Hercules thread so I updated it with everything I think I own or owned. Most of the jackets I have found in the Sears catalog, including yours. Sears was one of biggest retailers in the world and moved these jackets into homes all over the world.

4. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Just listened the part where he eleborates on his button hole machines. That's a fun fact: The Reece buttonhole machines had counters on them, you had to pay the Reece company depending on the number of buttonholes you made with the machine. 7FDBFF69-E14A-469C-9C90-07F21183C383.jpeg

5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

there is video on youtube or google image guide to handsew button hole finish, it looks thick since inside you put a loop of a thick thread (or multiple threads into a loop around the buttonhole) before wrapped around with threads, I tried to follow one to repair the unravelling buttonhole on my jeans, my first try so it was not neat at all but nice stout edge finisher indeed.

Peter Bowden likes this.
  6. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

It's just much easier to alter suit arms that don't have actual buttonholes and buttons.

7. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

Good to see someone going down the true original vintage road

ton312 likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312

Head first Jon!

9. Dr H

Dr H Call Me a Cab

Dave Sheeley uses several authentic period sewing machines and button holers. Here’s an example of his work on a cuff.
    EEC9A44A-AD3D-46BE-88D4-2854B3862E69.jpeg 936CCB92-98BA-4BD4-A145-AA1F24343A48.jpeg BBD92F7B-4F15-46CD-A0BF-6DC2FD9EE00F.jpeg

Cornelius and Marc mndt like this.