Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a leather jacket

lthr

New in Town
I'm really sorry if somehow my earlier reply has totally derailed the topic, but since some questions were directed at me personally then...
@lthr
no my jackets are all moto-ish, I chosed to have them without, since hand warmer pockets are rarely used here in my climate, and visually doesn't look 'clean' imo.

You can still put stuff in it though.

Edward

Bartender
Now we are getting far away from just wearing a leather jacket in warm weather. Delving into what's considered safe..and what isn't. Many things in life are risky..and there are many riders who push it to the max or are so unaware when they throw a leg over that that they have no trouble dropping a bike or sliding down the pavement and usually have many times. They sure need any buffer that they can come up with. Some want to be a speed racer or stunt rider. See them every day in the summer around here. Couple years ago a group of crotch rockets noticed that I was stopped on a Harley at the stop light..so when the light changed and they all raced off several brought the front wheel up(in Harley defiance?). All of a sudden one bike started a one wheel wobble..went into the ditch..dislocating a shoulder and broke his ankle under all of his body armor and full face helmet. No..I didn't laugh after I stopped with the others to check on him..but I did shake my head as I finally rode off. I could imagine his posse riding the same way as they raced up to see him in the hospital the next day explaining to him that he needs to work on those stunts(and put on more armor :D ). Then there are those that feel motorcycles should actually be banned. They are just too risky and dangerous no matter how someone is armored up. No need for them on the road whatsoever.
No matter,though. In most of every day life..If I'm hot...I take my leather jacket off. If I find myself getting chilly..I put it on. Don't care how absolutely marvelous I look in it...if it's warm out and most everyone is in short sleeves..there's a good chance that I might just really look ridiculous.
HD

IT's certainly true that riding like an idiot is as much a contributing factor to injury as being ill-equipped for it. (I'd like to say it's far more so, but sadly the majority of the bike accidents I've seen or known folks involved in were caused by some other idiot in a car rather than the rider.)

I don't know if it's just that there's more of them out there, but I've seen a dozen and more idiots in cars for every one person on a motorcycle I've seen take silly risks. Pedal cyclists, well... they're another breed altogether.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
IT's certainly true that riding like an idiot is as much a contributing factor to injury as being ill-equipped for it. (I'd like to say it's far more so, but sadly the majority of the bike accidents I've seen or known folks involved in were caused by some other idiot in a car rather than the rider.)

I don't know if it's just that there's more of them out there, but I've seen a dozen and more idiots in cars for every one person on a motorcycle I've seen take silly risks. Pedal cyclists, well... they're another breed altogether.

I agree with HD and Edward, motorcycle are inherently dangerous and with so many cars on the road and so much technology to distract drivers, motorcycles are made even more dangerous just given the environment they're ridden in. I live in Boston, MA and there's always people merging and running yellow/red lights without warning. Typical city traffic.

A leather jacket is a great item to keep some skin attached to your body, I went down coming off the highway this past season and my Schott 613 took all the beating. I got up without a scratch, even tho I was only wearing a novelty skull cap. Some say motorcycle jackets should have armor, and it can't hurt to have it I suppose. But I can say that ANY motorcycle jacket is better than NO motorcycle jacket. And if you buy something dorky looking that's super safe, it won't do you any good if you're bar hopping with friends and didn't want to wear it that night because you felt silly wearing it on the town. Buy a jacket you will wear all the time, even if it's not armored like a dianese or FQHH like a custom Aero. 1oz isn't going to make a difference in anything but your wallet in the event of a crash. Armor may save you more pain, but not if it's sitting in your bag.

If you don't ride, 1oz still isn't going to matter. I doubt you're gonna wipe out so badly on foot that you outslide the "burn time" on your jacket. So just buy a jacket you like the look and fit of, as walking around is a low intensity activity and as the jacket won't be required to stand up to much more than that, there are MANY jackets which could fit the bill.

lthr

New in Town
If you don't ride, 1oz still isn't going to matter. I doubt you're gonna wipe out so badly on foot that you outslide the "burn time" on your jacket. So just buy a jacket you like the look and fit of, as walking around is a low intensity activity and as the jacket won't be required to stand up to much more than that, there are MANY jackets which could fit the bill.

Speaking of on-foot "accidents," that entirely depends on what you do on foot. For example, I'd use the jacket for hiking-ish environment from time to time, meaning it'd be taking some beating as I'd lean against a tree or something like that. I don't think a leather jacket is needed for "walking protection" unless you get so drunk that you're likely to fall. If I fall, I usually fall on my palms or a palm, and that happens rarely. Last fall was a few weeks ago, and before that - probably a couple of years ago. This time I fell on my palms, I was wearing leather gloves and landed on rough concrete blocks. Since they were really cheap ($10-15?) sheepskin gloves, the palms took some bruising, but they are old and bruised as it was, so not a big change anyway. Just needed to clean the white stuff that got stuck as it rubbed against the concrete. Worst case scenario, for some reason you somehow manage to fall on your back, then your elbows may get scratched, but that has never happened to me, not even during the winter on plain ice. I fell on my side once, but that was on ice. Although if you're not careful and just run across the street, there's a chance you'll get hit by a car, but I don't do that. If I run through the street, I know that the car's not gonna be here by the time I'm in its way, unless the guy would accelerate quite a bit, but why would he? Besides, I could start running faster then or jump back.

Anyway, point is, I only see the overprotective folks who triple-check everything and wear a helmet and a bunch of plastic stuff on their limbs when they ride a bike even thinking of wearing a leather jacket for protection while walking. Well, unless they fall under the getting real drunk or crossing the street with absolutely no care categories.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
well for pedestrian, leather jacket would probably protect you from being mugged, instead people around you fear of being mugged by you:D

lthr

New in Town
well for pedestrian, leather jacket would probably protect you from being mugged, instead people around you fear of being mugged by you:D

If you look intimidating as-is, it definitely adds to it actually - you're not so far off here, especially if you're wearing a bomber or a cafe racer. Especially the latter.

Edward

Bartender

I've yet to see a genuinely bullet-proof leather, in the literal sense.... but I'm pretty sure my Bison Dustbowl could stop a knife. and likely buckshot.... I don't intend to find out, mind!

Barman

Familiar Face
I've yet to see a genuinely bullet-proof leather,

In 19th century Europe, many revolver rounds were stopped by thick wallets. A sturdy leather jacket would have been good protection.
With modern fireams and powders though, no way.

lthr

New in Town
I've yet to see a genuinely bullet-proof leather, in the literal sense.... but I'm pretty sure my Bison Dustbowl could stop a knife. and likely buckshot.... I don't intend to find out, mind!

Think he meant the image that you present. I.e. aviator sunglasses are commonly associated with army officers.

Anyway, stopping a knife is actually useful, but I doubt it'd stop a stab, especially if it's a butterfly knife.

In 19th century Europe, many revolver rounds were stopped by thick wallets. A sturdy leather jacket would have been good protection.
With modern fireams and powders though, no way.

Well, many bullets have been stopped by Zippo lighters (and other lighters, I've no doubt). It's the compressed structure - a wallet can contain a bunch of money, it can be pressed together strongly in your pocket, it can even have a bunch of metal money. I.e. take a phone book and try to shoot it with a low caliber pistol - the bullet's gonna be stuck inside. Nowadays the common thieves rarely carry powerful enough weapons, but still - I doubt a jacket would stop a Glock.

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Just that I always thought a black leather jacket always adds to ones badassery. And then I saw this: http://cdn.styleforum.net/3/39/900x900px-LL-39ae250e_41538.jpeg

derelicte-72-620x349.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
you don't mug somebody who just raised back from the dead still wearing part of their body bag.:eeek: you run away especially if you accidentally see what's written in its pricetag. :confused:

IXL

One Too Many
I've yet to see a genuinely bullet-proof leather, in the literal sense.... but I'm pretty sure my Bison Dustbowl could stop a knife. and likely buckshot.... I don't intend to find out,mind!

Having tested a variety of 12 gauge buckshot-containing shotshells for penetration (as well as spread), from 4T through #000, and in standard, heavy, and magnum loadings, I don't think the leather will survive to tell the tale if hit from any combat-reasonable distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR