Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a suit

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Currently, i have a sport coat and a couple pairs of pants i wear to nicer occasions, but id like to invest in a suit once i can scrape together the dough. Since i have never purchased a suit before, i thought i'd ask peoples opinions on where to get one, keeping in mind i have a limited budget, and will likely grow out of it before too long. (a year or two) I live in Florida so i would rather it not be too heavy, and i like solid colors, no pinstripes or anything like that. The local goodwill only has separate jackets and pants, but i am planning on going around town to other thrift shops when i get the chance.

Thanks, Wolfe

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
WolfeMan said:
Currently, i have a sport coat and a couple pairs of pants i wear to nicer occasions, but id like to invest in a suit once i can scrape together the dough. Since i have never purchased a suit before, i thought i'd ask peoples opinions on where to get one, keeping in mind i have a limited budget, and will likely grow out of it before too long. (a year or two) I live in Florida so i would rather it not be too heavy, and i like solid colors, no pinstripes or anything like that. The local goodwill only has separate jackets and pants, but i am planning on going around town to other thrift shops when i get the chance.

Thanks, Wolfe
Ok, I'm going to get yelled at by the others, but here is my advice.

Go to The Men's Warehouse. There is probably one in your area.

They are not the best quality, but they usually have reasonably priced suits and they carry a large section. The staff are used to people shopping at their store for the first time, so you don't have to be afraid to ask a lot of silly questions and try on different styles and materials. If you have any specific questions, take pictures, post them here, and ask us before you buy.

In the end you will have a serviceable, modern, first suit. Your experience will give you an idea about what fits well on you and if you even like wearing a suit. From there you can start looking at vintage or custom wear.

Just my 2c.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would suggest perusing thrift stores. I have had some fantastic luck, despite being a very rare size, you might too.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Well, my budget depends on what work i can find, i know my aunt needs her gutters cleaned, and maybe my dad will find stuff for me to do. I live in north central Florida. Gainesville, maybe you've heard of it? I don't have a specific event i'm purchasing it for.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Start off inexpensively. I would suggest that you actually start with something contemporary. Go to a department store and shot the separates. I know that this doesn't exude class and sophistication, but you must begin wearing suits with something that is mainstream. Let's face the truth; suits are not as mainstream as they were in the past. Wearing a suit will cause you to stand out in today's world. It is best to make sure that you are comfortable and relaxed in a suit before going full vintage or bespoke. Many people try too much at first and become affected by there garments.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Doggy Darb said:
Start off inexpensively. I would suggest that you actually start with something contemporary. Go to a department store and shot the separates. I know that this doesn't exude class and sophistication, but you must begin wearing suits with something that is mainstream. Let's face the truth; suits are not as mainstream as they were in the past. Wearing a suit will cause you to stand out in today's world. It is best to make sure that you are comfortable and relaxed in a suit before going full vintage or bespoke. Many people try too much at first and become affected by there garments.

I agree with starting off inexpensively, but I don't agree with just about anything else you say here. So, I will respectfully voice my opinion on the matter. One can find a good suit in a thrift store for less than a tenth of a the price of what will most likely be an inferior suit in a department store. I am not saying to go vintage or bespoke, but just get something decent. If the suit was relatively conservative, most people are not going to be able to date it by looking at it.

A little while back, I bought a used suit from a thrift store for $7.50. As it turns out, it was from a tailor in Hong Kong, and was a mink/cashmere blend (not to be confused with the synthetic by the same name. One is Minkash and the other is Cashmink. I don't remember which is which.)

Anyway, I have had suits from department stores that cost quite a bit more than that, and honestly, if I were to rely on the experience from them, I would never want to wear a suit, as they tend to be extremely uncomfortable and normally don't look that good. If you have the money to buy a good suit, be my guest, but don't just buy a cheap poly-blend suit from the department store. Someone is bound to have gotten rid of a decent suit your size.

Anyway, off of my little thrift store soapbox now.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Sir, I never would suggest poly-blend!;) It can be difficult, at times, to acquire a suit from a thrift store. This is the only reason that I would not recommend it to someone that has not yet owned a suit.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Doggy Darb said:
Sir, I never would suggest poly-blend!;)

I apologize for being a bit abrupt and rude before. You have a valid point. I shot from the hip on account of having payed too much for bad suits in the past.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
No offense taken. I recall that there are quite a few over priced, I suppose we can refer to them as suits, garments in department stores, but I do believe that is a good place for someone to start. Once again, this is my opinion. Many people believe that the thrift store is the place to begin. I suppose it is a matter of size. I am unlikely to even find a vintage suit for someone of my proportions. It is my inclination to buy new or tailored as it is the only way to be well fitted.

Edit: That reads as though I am obese. I am, in fact, tall and moderately athletic. Jackets generally do not fit me as they should.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Doggy Darb said:
No offense taken. I recall that there are quite a few over priced, I suppose we can refer to them as suits, garments in department stores, but I do believe that is a good place for someone to start. Once again, this is my opinion. Many people believe that the thrift store is the place to begin. I suppose it is a matter of size. I am unlikely to even find a vintage suit for someone of my proportions. It is my inclination to buy new or tailored as it is the only way to be well fitted.

Edit: That reads as though I am obese. I am, in fact, tall and moderately athletic. Jackets generally do not fit me as they should.

I can see where you are coming from on the size thing, but it is very doable. I am 6'6" and 170lbs, with very long legs and arms, even proportionate to my height. I have had more luck finding things that fit in thrift stores than in regular stores. The one thing is that I usually have to let the hem of the pants down a little. I actually have found on two different occasions, custom tailored suits (both from Hong Kong) which could have been made for me. One of them was my tux, which is fantastic. Patience is key.

My main reason for suggesting a thrift store, is that you can find things of decent quality, at a price which is okay to experiment with while you find your look, and your tastes evolve.

edit: If you were obese, you would probably find more jackets that fit you. Clothing manufacturers seem like making clothes for short, fat people.

Geesie

Practically Family
A couple points:

- Department stores frequently have sales, like 50% off sales. Never buy full price.

- The most important thing is to make sure your dress shirts fit well. If you go around in a tight collar, you'll be irritable and uncomfortable and start subconsciously hating the whole suit idea.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I have it! A grey double breasted, with a red silk tie. cost me 12.80 for the suit and tie, ill post photos in a new thread.

Corky

Practically Family
Get to know prices and quality, then wait for a sale...

For example: this week, the Macy's near Beverly Hills has a set of $500-600 suits in my size on sale for $99 each.

I have purchased $500 sports coats (because they had the stock number of the previous season and were misplaced in the stock room for several months) there for less than $75.

I know how to spot a good suit rather than a cheap suit which is overpriced, so I am at an advantage, but until you possess this kind of knowledge, limit your purchases to places that you can trust.

This week, I would have purchased a gray pinstriped suit in wool and cashmere from Macy's except that I already have an almost identical suit hanging in my closet from a sale a few years back at Brooks Brothers.

That said, I get a lot of wear from my solid black suit (at weddings, funerals and somewhat formal occasions) but I get a lot more wear out of my black sports coat and black slacks combo (which looks almost like, but not quite a suit).

If you really have never owned a suit, consider a blue blazer and grey slacks combo as an intro to suit wearing. If you had gone to a Prep School, you would have found that a blue blazer and grey slacks is almost as much of a method of recognizing each other by the Ruling Class as a uniform on a military base or gang colors are in the ghetto.

Check out the black suit and/or the blue blazer and grey slacks offerings at Brooks Brothers as benchmarks for quality and style and then pick up a similar or identical outfit elsewhere for less money.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I got another one, fits me better and i think its a great suit. 2 piece single breasted, will post pics in show us your suits thread later. I figured even if i grow out of it, it cost me 10 dollars so its not a big investment.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am glad you are having such luck finding suits. I found that once I had a suit or two that did not cost an arm and a leg, I found more excuses to wear them.

I can't wait to see the new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot