Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an ipod

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aaron Hats said:
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ordered it today along with one of the new car kits. I ordered directly from Apple with the free engraving so I should have it in the next two weeks in plenty of time for our anniversary.
Excellent Aaron. Congratulations! And remember, there is plenty of swing and big band music on iTunes.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Great just make sure to update it alot, use itunes properlly, and don't have more then one ipod on a computer unless your talk to tech support, and change its diper (sorry tempting).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Aaron Hats said:
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ordered it today along with one of the new car kits. I ordered directly from Apple with the free engraving so I should have it in the next two weeks in plenty of time for our anniversary.

You should have it by Friday, Fedex. Good choice. Its a surprise, so be ready for the emails telling you it's shipped.

April - I predict a completely new iPod-like device, larger with a bigger screen. Should put Apple way out front in downloadable video, just like they own music. Maybe a replacement for the iBook as well. The new MacBook Pro is as close to a perfect notebook design as I've ever seen, with really amazing usability.
And hopefully, it'll get my stock price back up! :rage:

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I have a Creative Zen Touch... which is basically a cheaper iPod that's a bit more Windows friendly. I love it, it's 20GB, and I use it as a portable hard drive as well.

FYI, you can use the iPod as a portable drive too. I bought my wife the 30GB Video for Christmas and she uses it to move her file to work and home all the time.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yes, I think iPods are basically the new briefcase. The wonders of technology never ceases to amaze me. Next, you'll tell me there's a phone you can take anywhere without any cords.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I absolutely love my Ipod - I haven't used my car radio in over a year as a result. I dunno what exactly is in the car kit you mention, but in my experience, directly connecting the Ipod to the radio yields the best results. The FM modulator can be frustrating (speaking from exprience - using the device in other cars in the household). You can use a cassette adapter if your car has a cassette player, or alternately, have the guys at a car audio place install an auxillary jack into your car radio. Since my car radio is aftermarket, with an auxillary jack on the front faceplate, I use that option with a dual male plug cord.

An excellent website for information and reviews of Ipod accessories and tutorials on using Itunes and Ipod: Ilounge

If the wife enjoys audiobooks and other non-music content as well, you may want to consider an Audible.com membership as well.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Hemingway Jones said:
Excellent Aaron. Congratulations! And remember, there is plenty of swing and big band music on iTunes.

And Alicia Keys, John Denver, Led Zeppelin, Phantom of the Opera...we enjoy a wide variety of music.

scotrace said:
You should have it by Friday, Fedex.

You're right. I just tracked it and it's due to arrive on Friday direct from Shanghai. I can't believe it ships from Shanghai!

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
You should have it by Friday, Fedex. Good choice. Its a surprise, so be ready for the emails telling you it's shipped.

April - I predict a completely new iPod-like device, larger with a bigger screen. Should put Apple way out front in downloadable video, just like they own music. Maybe a replacement for the iBook as well. The new MacBook Pro is as close to a perfect notebook design as I've ever seen, with really amazing usability.
And hopefully, it'll get my stock price back up! :rage:

Did you see this news item:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060328/tc_nf/42444

I've seen the future, and it's name is Apple.... (three cheers for good investments!!).

Salv

One Too Many
CWetherby said:
Did you see this news item:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060328/tc_nf/42444

I've seen the future, and it's name is Apple.... (three cheers for good investments!!).

...and two days later this one to contradict earlier reports: Apple iPhone soon? Not likely [huh]

Contrary to published reports, two independent sources speaking on condition of anonymity recently disclosed to Think Secret that Apple's cell phone ambitions have been put on hold as the company has encountered "significant technological hurdles" in developing the product.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I have seen the promised land and it is iPod. ;)

It was delivered yesterday (a day early) and my wife was thrilled. It was perfect timing because she's leaving today for a couple days to visit family. Last night I downloaded about eight cd's and three music videos for her trip.

If only all technology was as simple to use as this iPod and iTunes. The next thing you know I'll be ordering a Mac.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, this is all so Golden Age

The closest I came to buying an iPod I was one
of these, at a Paris fleamarket:

http://www.gramophones.info/gramexcelda.html

No lossy digital encoding, no threat of mugging for
the status symbol, and no earphones to close you
off from your companions or the sound of that
oncoming car.

But I decided to stick with my full range Victrola in
the living room.

Until they make bakelite iPod cases,

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have a Sony Clie PEG-NX80 PDA that uses a Sony Memory Stick Pro - so I bypassed Sony's music software (because it won't address a memory stick with any kind of capacity), bought a $10 software package called Pocket Tunes, and I can use the PDA as an Ipod. The 512MB stick I have holds about 6 CDs, which is enough for me. If I want more, I'll buy a bigger memory stick.

It has taken some fiddling because I'm working around Sony's music software and defaults (both of which stink) but it's functional.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pilgrim said:
I have a Sony Clie PEG-NX80 PDA that uses a Sony Memory Stick Pro - so I bypassed Sony's music software (because it won't address a memory stick with any kind of capacity), bought a $10 software package called Pocket Tunes, and I can use the PDA as an Ipod. The 512MB stick I have holds about 6 CDs, which is enough for me. If I want more, I'll buy a bigger memory stick.

It has taken some fiddling because I'm working around Sony's music software and defaults (both of which stink) but it's functional.

I'd just keep this between us.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
determining iPod gender . . .

John in Covina said:
*********:eusa_clap
Congratulations! I didn't even know they were ipod expecting! Will it be a Boypod or Girlpod?[huh]

Everyone knows if the serial # ends in an odd number its a boy, even, girl.
;)

I have 5, (3 boys, 2 girls) its like an addiction with me.
LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters