Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying hat blocks--what does one need to know?

I picked up 3 blocks from a seller in France of ETSY>com. Name of 'Olala". Her price is great, the shipping is a bit of a killer but I bought 3 and the shipping was the same price as it would have been for one. I bought them to fill in sizes/shapes in my offering so they won't be used as extensively as the wooden ones but for the money they look good and they work. She is a trained sculptor so she somehow shapes them from a plastic and then gives them a hard coating that can handle wet, heat and steam without deteriorating. I will use her again for fill ins. She also makes a flange that would work well as it has an integral flange stand so good for someone looking to start or just one block/flange for personal use.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I picked up 3 blocks from a seller in France of ETSY>com. Name of 'Olala". Her price is great, the shipping is a bit of a killer but I bought 3 and the shipping was the same price as it would have been for one. I bought them to fill in sizes/shapes in my offering so they won't be used as extensively as the wooden ones but for the money they look good and they work. She is a trained sculptor so she somehow shapes them from a plastic and then gives them a hard coating that can handle wet, heat and steam without deteriorating. I will use her again for fill ins. She also makes a flange that would work well as it has an integral flange stand so good for someone looking to start or just one block/flange for personal use.
Very cool. I have looked at those blocks.

I picked up a single block from Randall Alan to see what he does to his blocks. He has to do finishing work after 3D printing to remove the layer lines. This involves using a filler and a lot of sanding, with a final application of a sealer. Just doing some research as I have the same 3d printer that he uses and I need to try and do a larger block print, it takes just over 48 hours per block. Also, his size 58cm block weighed in at 812 grams, and that gives me insights into how much filament is used and I can adjust wall thicknesses and the infill to approximate that. The rolls of fillament I get are 2 kilograms so can get 2 blocks out of 1 roll.

Also, I noticed that Jerzy, aka: HatBlocksPoland is also offering 3d printed blocks in addition to his woodblock offerings.

Now a bit off topic, I just recieved word that my set of plates in long oval are ready to ship, just need to mail them payment (they are old school, no paypal, venmo, etc.) Getting excited.

Very cool. I have looked at those blocks.

I picked up a single block from Randall Alan to see what he does to his blocks. He has to do finishing work after 3D printing to remove the layer lines. This involves using a filler and a lot of sanding, with a final application of a sealer. Just doing some research as I have the same 3d printer that he uses and I need to try and do a larger block print, it takes just over 48 hours per block. Also, his size 58cm block weighed in at 812 grams, and that gives me insights into how much filament is used and I can adjust wall thicknesses and the infill to approximate that. The rolls of fillament I get are 2 kilograms so can get 2 blocks out of 1 roll.

Also, I noticed that Jerzy, aka: HatBlocksPoland is also offering 3d printed blocks in addition to his woodblock offerings.

Now a bit off topic, I just recieved word that my set of plates in long oval are ready to ship, just need to mail them payment (they are old school, no paypal, venmo, etc.) Getting excited.
HatBlocksPoland make a great wooden block so I am surprised that he is going the 3D route and not that much price differential. His prices have really jumped up and I think I got lucky buying from him when I did. The RA blocks that I ordered I sent back as he got the dimensions all wrong. I was disappointed in how light weight they were and I thought expensive for what they were and for just a few bucks more I could get Jerzy's made from wood.

Jaffy

New in Town
Hey everyone, thought I'd tack this question on here because it's been driving me up the wall while sourcing a hat block.

Is there a best practice/rule-of-thumb for choosing block height to account for the final crown height after shaping?

To give a more precise example...I'm getting started finding materials to start making my own hats. I know that somewhere around 4-3/4" to 5" crown height is my preference for fedoras and similar styles. I like a block profile with some taper, so I can't vary the the height of the crown too much without affecting the sizing of the hat.

Obviously the type of shape, dents, crease, etc. will have an effect, but let's assume we're talking about a simple center dent. Any advice? How do those of you that start blocking a hat with the intention of hand forming it know how tall of a block to use?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, if you have an open crown hat that you like, measure how tall it is. 5 1/2" open crown is a pretty standard fedora height. 6" is more western territory. If you want to end up at 5" you might need a 5 3/4" block. For example, the typical Indiana Jones hat gets creased to 4 1/2" and starts with a 5 1/2" block.

Well, if you have an open crown hat that you like, measure how tall it is. 5 1/2" open crown is a pretty standard fedora height. 6" is more western territory. If you want to end up at 5" you might need a 5 3/4" block. For example, the typical Indiana Jones hat gets creased to 4 1/2" and starts with a 5 1/2" block.
I concur with Jlee's post. The answer on the correct height is as he suggests...."It depends". Decide on your ideal bash, style, depth and with a soft beater hat play with it and discover how much open crown you need in order to achieve your desired bash. Depth is the critical measure. If you go to the leondrexler.com website (he is now retired) click on "Primer" on his masthead. Then see Chapter 4 - The Starting Block, he shows pics (face & profile of the blocks) of the blocks he uses for each style hat. Then go to his Portforlio page and he shows the hat styles. This will help you work it back.

I concur with Jlee's post. The answer on the correct height is as he suggests...."It depends". Decide on your ideal bash, style, depth and with a soft beater hat play with it and discover how much open crown you need in order to achieve your desired bash. Depth is the critical measure. If you go to the leondrexler.com website (he is now retired) click on "Primer" on his masthead. Then see Chapter 4 - The Starting Block, he shows pics (face & profile of the blocks) of the blocks he uses for each style hat. Then go to his Portforlio page and he shows the hat styles. This will help you work it back.
I buy all my blocks at 15cm in height. Most of them are relatively square to very slight taper so I can get away with using a blocking spring that stops before the full height if I want a shorter crown height.

I have plywood 2'x2' sheets in various thicknesses 3/", 1/2" 5/8" for the block sizes/shapes (58cm, 59cm 60cm etc etc.) I use these sheets to take up the unused portion of the block when I use less than their full height. I use the plywood plates so the brim lays flat when I use the tollicker and brim iron. This effectively at least doubles my block selection as I can use a 6"/15cm height block as a 5 1/2", 5 3/4" etc....whatever height I need. Have a look at your desired taper and perhaps buying a 15cm height block will still allow you to use it as a 5 1/2" without messing with the taper all that much.

Jaffy

New in Town
Thanks for the replies! That definitely helps. If I can get relatively close, I should be able to make the difference with either the depth of the crease or a spring block. One has way too short of a crown to use as a good test, and the other is fairly stiff, so I was having a hard time manipulating it enough to get a solid idea. Thanks again, I appreciate everyone willing to help out the newbies.

Thanks for the replies! That definitely helps. If I can get relatively close, I should be able to make the difference with either the depth of the crease or a spring block. One has way too short of a crown to use as a good test, and the other is fairly stiff, so I was having a hard time manipulating it enough to get a solid idea. Thanks again, I appreciate everyone willing to help out the newbies.
One idea I also employ is to add extensions to my blocks if needed. I have cut 1/2" to 5/8" thick blocks to match the profile of the block and I just attach it with thin vinyl painters tape. It is thin enough to not leave a line in the felt but strong enough to hold.

I’m assuming that Panama hats are blocked with a two-part block with a positive and negative form to create the sharp crown shape. Does anyone know where to find these blocks?

It could look something like this, but I’m not sure.

9AF9AFAF-83B2-46B2-A0B6-53F9158FD5AB.jpeg

I’m looking for the Havana style crown in a 7 ⅞ Long Oval.

I’m assuming that Panama hats are blocked with a two-part block with a positive and negative form to create the sharp crown shape. Does anyone know where to find these blocks?

It could look something like this, but I’m not sure.

View attachment 474346

I’m looking for the Havana style crown in a 7 ⅞ Long Oval.
I have not ordered any so can't speak from experience but there are two that I know of. Guy Morse Brown offers blocks and tippers to order. The other is BabahatblockItaly on Instagram. I think I saw tippers on his site.

I have not ordered any so can't speak from experience but there are two that I know of. Guy Morse Brown offers blocks and tippers to order. The other is BabahatblockItaly on Instagram. I think I saw tippers on his site.

Thanks, Robert. I want to buy one for Mike at Northwest to use to make me a couple Panama hats and then to have the blocks so I can freshen up my hats as needed.

Thanks, Robert. I want to buy one for Mike at Northwest to use to make me a couple Panama hats and then to have the blocks so I can freshen up my hats as needed.
There is a full set of Gus style blocks complete with tippers on Ebay for a steal of a price but the downside is the Gus creasing. So HatsBlockPoland is a source as well but he is taking a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran