Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Leather Sweatbands?

funneman

Practically Family
How hard is it to replace?

I have a Penny's Marathon Open Road clone badly in need of a sweatband replacement.

I'd love to do it myself but I'm afraid I'll just make a bad situation worse.

Also, is a reed necessary to affix the sweat to the hat or can you just sew it directly onto the felt?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I've replaced a few of them ... the first was the most difficult, since I never did it before, but I just used an old beater that I didn't really care about to practice on, & yes you do sew it directly on the felt... where else would you sew it to? Pros with a sewing machine made for this type of work would attach it on the vinyl flange where the reed is installed..sp [not too sure of the terminology]. Anyway I don't have the attachment for that for my sewing machine, so first I like to use some basting stitches to temporary secure the band, on the vinyl flange then I just use a stitching awl and go through the leather following the stitching already there, skipping one as I work my way around [huh] ... I have a few DIY tutorials on here if you like to take a look ... good luck :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wil Tam said:
...the vinyl flange where the reed is installed..sp [not too sure of the terminology].

"For those who like to do their own hat repairs. These are premium roan leather sweatbands that have been reeded and flanged. Includes the ferrule. Measures 1 5/8" wide."

The above is from one of the links provided. I think 'ferrule' is the term.

I've replaced a few also and you just have to resign yourself to having a lot of patience and not fixating on being 'done' with it until you are at that last stitch.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
By the way, I have used replacement sweats from Hat Supply and they are OK. Same as what you get from Aaron's.

I also always keep my eyes peeled when in thrift stores to see if I can score a $2 or $4 beater from which to scavenge parts. I was actually able to replace a Stetson sweatband with a Stetson sweatband once. Since I'm a size 7 it's relatively easy for me to find sweats that are at least that big and trim them down to fit.

** NOW WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is where can I buy good replacement sweatbands?? Instead of those flimsy ones with that little gold line running around them available from the links shown, I want ones like I see in Art Fawcett's and other custom hatters' high-end creations. Thicker, softer, real leather in a light, natural shade of tan/brown. Wider and perforated, even cushioned looking in some cases. I have some replacements to do and just can't bring myself to buy more of those little costumey looking ones from the usual vendors...

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
** NOW WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is where can I buy good replacement sweatbands?? Instead of those flimsy ones with that little gold line running around them available from the links shown, I want ones like I see in Art Fawcett's and other custom hatters' high-end creations. Thicker, softer, real leather in a light, natural shade of tan/brown. Wider and perforated, even cushioned looking in some cases. I have some replacements to do and just can't bring myself to buy more of those little costumey looking ones from the usual vendors...

http://www.jwhats.com/index1.html under new products maybe, I think you may have a minimum order number though, not sure though.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've had JW black, natural, and white. They are okay, but the black bled through onto many customer's hats, costing me a mint.

There are two ethnic last names from New York (Italian?) , I think...gotta find my Hat Life book. I tried to order from them and was chastised for asking for some samples... I was told that he doesn't fill grocery lists. Beautiful sweats, though.

milandro

A-List Customer
Would anyone know a supplier in the EU or at ;least the UK? The problem with US suppliers on Ebay is that they ask outrageous shipping prices which are double the price of a sweatband because they all subscribe to these useless ebay shipping “ program” which include customs ( for an item which wouldn’t pay any since is below the VAT threshold) whereas a good old fashioned envelope would suffice and would be way cheaper in shipping.

EDIT:

I have just found, and ordered a sweatband from a Millner supplier in the UK ( as long as they are still in the EU :);) there is no need for any complex shipping procedure ).

Guy Morse-Brown Hat Blocks

https://www.hatblocks.co.uk/product/leather-sweatbands/

A leather sweatband for a €13,50 which includes shipping, isn’t bad at all!

Last edited:
Would anyone know a supplier in the EU or at ;least the UK? The problem with US suppliers on Ebay is that they ask outrageous shipping prices which are double the price of a sweatband because they all subscribe to these useless ebay shipping “ program” which include customs ( for an item which wouldn’t pay any since is below the VAT threshold) whereas a good old fashioned envelope would suffice and would be way cheaper in shipping.

EDIT:

I have just found, and ordered a sweatband from a Millner supplier in the UK ( as long as they are still in the EU :);) there is no need for any complex shipping procedure ).

Guy Morse-Brown Hat Blocks

https://www.hatblocks.co.uk/product/leather-sweatbands/

A leather sweatband for a €13,50 which includes shipping, isn’t bad at all!

Check out Agnoulita on Etsy (from Greece)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244402...=sr_gallery-1-27&organic_search_click=1&col=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy