Buying Ship John jacket (and other Ship John clothing)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by phillyforager, Jul 30, 2020.

1. phillyforager

phillyforager One of the Regulars

Hi all,

I have been in the market for quite some time looking for a Langlitz x Ship John Veg Tan Leather Wills Jacket

If you have one in size L, please let me know

(Note: I am also interested in other ship john products in size Large... so if you have those too, let me know)

Thanks!

2. GW KY

GW KY A-List Customer

Did you see the recent one on Ebay went for almost $4k!

3. phillyforager

Wait when did it sell for almost $4k?

There was one on ebay that sold for 1500 last night

4. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

I had the black goatskin wills jacket.. it was nice, but it wasn't that nice..
    The waxed canvas jacket is a much better jacket.
    I don't think the pattern works that great as a leather jacket, but I admit I didn't give it too much of chance to break in.

jonesy86, Monitor and phillyforager like this.
  5. phillyforager

That makes me feel better haha. I have a wills canvas on order, I'm excited to see what it's like.

Boyo likes this.
  6. GW KY

GW KY A-List Customer

I love my denim wills, fave denim jacket.
    May order the dehen wool collab this week.

Maybe 6weeks ago, a brand new leather langlitz collab hit $3800 I believe, craziness.

7. phillyforager

That's odd.. I don't see it under sold items, and there are two that sold for way less than that. Are you sure about this?

8. phillyforager

Also regarding the wool collab - I would jump on that if it had a zipper... But it's only buttons unfortunately.

9. GW KY

GW KY A-List Customer

Yea, I bid it up to 2k, went to bed. Got crazy while I slept and sold.
    They gotta do another run

10. phillyforager

That is insane. People are crazy haha. You can literally have a bespoke jacket made with nicer specs for half the price

11. jglf

jglf Familiar Face

I have a brown goatskin wills jacket in large and it fits pretty big. I would recommend sizing down for a slimmer fit. These coats are cut kind of boxy to begin with.

If that natural wills on eBay was a medium, I would probably have bought it.

12. phillyforager

Are you saying you would have bought the $3800 one? Or the $1500 one?

13. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Practically Family

I also have a canvas Wills Jacket on order - I finally got on the list 6 weeks ago, and I'm excited to finally have one. It's really impressive in both quality and thickness.

As for the goatskin Wills: it's made by Langlitz, and I'm pretty sure Ship John specified the leather for it - I know they ordered specified non-standard vegetable tanned leather for the natural colored leather Wills jackets. Even the standard leather from Langlitz is pretty different from what you might expect if you're used to Aero jackets with Chromexcel. Their leather is more stiff and less waxy - I haven't broken one in, but I've handled them and tried them on. They have a fantastic reputation and I have no doubt that their quality and customer service are top notch - I've heard nothing but good things about their crew. I'm only suggesting that what they build is a bit different than what I see people buying around here, and opinions do vary. I hope to try something from them one of these days, but their price is a little beyond my comfort range right now.

14. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

15. phillyforager

I am pretty sure they used Horween Essex for the veg tanned version of the jacket... It's not exactly what I would consider to be a unique or non-standard veg tanned option. I reached out to Wills to see if they would be doing another run of that jacket and they sited issues with getting the leather... But in my head I know that is BS. There are plenty of veg tanned leathers out there that are on par or better than Horween essex.

16. jglf

jglf Familiar Face

I would have purchased the $1500 one if it was medium. All of his stuff including collaborations is really well made. My jacket has the thickest satin & cotton lining I’ve seen from any manufacturer.