Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson's USAF 1957 L-2B Flying Jacket, Tops Apparel Mfg. Co.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I certainly don't eschew non-vintage fabrics such as fleece, though I do tend to prefer the overall aesthetics of vintage styles. The C-2 is something I really, really enjoy wearing, largely because it fully zips and is easily removed and put on, and it fits so snugly without bulk as a layer under snug-fitting jackets such as the A-2 or my new-found love in the ELMC Californian jacket; the fact that the C-2 is period-correct is a bonus. My C-2 is also an original, but I have a Buzz Rickson's in navy and in black for other color combinations. Fleece may well be superior to the C-2, and if I could find one that hugs my body as well as the C-2 and has a full zip, I'd give it a go. Any thoughts?

I have fit images to post of the Buzz Rickson's Rough Wear B-10, which I hope to do this week, then you can compare this version to the top-selling Superior Togs.

Charles, in terms of a nice vintage-style/traditional fabric undergarment, have you looked at the Filson mackinaw vest? They come in different colors and fabrics (wool, moleskin, etc) and are numerically sized (40, 42, 44, etc) for a snug fit under a jacket. I have a charcoal gray 24 oz. wool mackinaw that is absolutely perfect for layering under a waist-length jacket. Very warm, functional and stylish too.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles, in terms of a nice vintage-style/traditional fabric undergarment, have you looked at the Filson mackinaw vest? They come in different colors and fabrics (wool, moleskin, etc) and are numerically sized (40, 42, 44, etc) for a snug fit under a jacket. I have a charcoal gray 24 oz. wool mackinaw that is absolutely perfect for layering under a waist-length jacket. Very warm, functional and stylish too.

Thank you, Rick! I was checking these out and they do indeed look nice. The website says they run full, so do you think I should go down in size for a close fit under a jacket?

CBI

One Too Many
the Filson vests and jacket liners look like a nice option of under an A-2. I am wondering about length? My fleece pullover I just tuck in. Looks like I would not be doing this with the Filsons but they might be too long (or a close call)????

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Rick! I was checking these out and they do indeed look nice. The website says they run full, so do you think I should go down in size for a close fit under a jacket?

Filson offers their coats/jackets in their regular fit (I think they call it an "Alaska fit") and a new, slimmer cut called the "Seattle fit". For a Filson jacket/shirt methinks the Seattle fit would be right up your alley, Charles. The vests I believe are regular (full/Alaska) cut. I went with my normal jacket size (46) for the vest and it fits me very well. If you're on the slim/trim athletic side (like I was about 10 years ago! LOL) you may find sizing down more to your liking.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
the Filson vests and jacket liners look like a nice option of under an A-2. I am wondering about length? My fleece pullover I just tuck in. Looks like I would not be doing this with the Filsons but they might be too long (or a close call)????

The Filson vests are waist-length and ought to ride right at the belt line. My size 46 Mackinaw vest has a back length of 25" and my A-2 jackets usually have a back length of 26-27" so the elastic waistband covers and gathers in the vest quite nicely. Those with a shorter torso may find the vest peeks out of the bottom of their waist-length jackets.

HPA Rep

Vendor
HPA Rep - Your website says the nylon on the L2B jacket is "heavier" than the L2A. How so?

We don't say the jacket is heavier, just the nylon fabric. The nylon twill was changed to a heavier gauge, from 1/3 to 2/2, so the nylon fabric is stronger, but the impact on jacket weight is inconsequential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR