Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson's USAF 1957 L-2B Flying Jacket, Tops Apparel Mfg. Co.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here’s Buzz Rickson’s Tops Apparel Mfg. Co. L-2B Flying Jacket.

So as to help put the L-2B now following into some sort of fit perspective, it’s a size 38. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 33" shirt sleeve, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

About 70% of our customs will order a size down in the "L" jackets from their measured chest size (chest measures 42", they order size 40), and sizing down is more marked for those who have chest measures of 42" or less and who are not stout in build.

This L-2B is a delight to wear; it has a favorable warmth-to-weight ratio and represents an easier-wearing alternative to leather jackets while offering superior warmth and water repellence than any A-2 or similar jacket style. Any of the "L" series of jackets are my favorite styles for spring and early fall. I'll never forget how, as an A-2 jacket diehard, I quickly fell in love with an "L" jacket the first time I wore it on a cool spring day that turned into a cooler evening after being out and about. The blended lining fabric in these jackets simply provides what the A-2 cannot.

We have all sizes available in the L-2B jacket. The current price for the L-2B is $355.00. All prices always include U. S. customs duty, import processing fees, currency-conversion fees and expedited shipping & insurance from the manufacturer to us in the USA.

All re-stocks on this jacket for fall will have a manufacturer-imposed price increase, so if we have your size and item choice in stock prior to receiving the F/W 2015 replenishment, ordering before the replenishment stock arrives will yield you the benefit of the current price that is less costly than what will be available in the fall.

All items that we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website here:

https://www.historypreservation.com...f/buzz-ricksons-usaf-1957-l-2b-flying-jacket/

l2b_frwo.jpg l2b_sidewo.jpg l2b_bkwo.jpg

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thank you, fellas! I never thought I would say this prior to 2002 when we began carrying the Buzz Rickson's brand, but love the leather jackets as I do, these "L" series jackets are simply more comfortable and functional than the leather counterparts. I'm not about to not wear my leathers, but "L" jackets are more likely to be taken on a trip with me knowing a fluctuation in weather is likely. The light weight, ability to comfortably wear them between 70 degrees F. down to 42 degree F., water repellence, and three pockets, and ease with which they can be folded up and stowed away, all help make these jackets types clear choices for me in more instances than not.

My reality about something like the A-2 is that most of the time I'm either too cold or too hot when wearing one, as there is a narrow window in which it is optimal.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Alpha Service issue L2B is probably my most worn jacket for the reasons you give Charles.

CBI

One Too Many
I know what you mean about leather vs. nylon. I only recently ordered my first nylon repro. All of my other nylon jackets over the years have been originals and to not belabor the point, the 50's early 60's jackets are most always too short for me as I am not wearing a flight suite!!!! Are these BR jacket cut a bit longer? They seem to fit you well. I am average built, 5'11" size 44.

In regards the versatility of the A-2, I made a big discovery that if I wear a thin fleece quarter zip pull over under my A-2, I can stay very warm even as it gets pretty cold. The fleece is comfortable and the pullovers I wear are thin enough to not add any bulk at all.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I know what you mean about leather vs. nylon. I only recently ordered my first nylon repro. All of my other nylon jackets over the years have been originals and to not belabor the point, the 50's early 60's jackets are most always too short for me as I am not wearing a flight suite!!!! Are these BR jacket cut a bit longer? They seem to fit you well. I am average built, 5'11" size 44.

In regards the versatility of the A-2, I made a big discovery that if I wear a thin fleece quarter zip pull over under my A-2, I can stay very warm even as it gets pretty cold. The fleece is comfortable and the pullovers I wear are thin enough to not add any bulk at all.

Regarding the Buzz Rickson's L-2B length, only the really tall seem to have any issues, so someone 6' tall shouldn't have any problems. The size you need depends on what you are looking for and your personal taste in fit, so as we note on our website and as I personally practice, most buyers go down a size from their chest measure, thus my chest is 40" but I elect to wear a size Med (38) for a trim, vintage fit.

The size XXL is supposed to be a 44 and indeed some customers who have a 44" chest measure choose this size, but so do customers with 46" chest measures. The XXL has a back length of 26" and the XL has back length of 25"; you can review all the relevant sizing data, plus "size tips" and other useful fitting info. on our L-2B page here:

https://www.historypreservation.com...f/buzz-ricksons-usaf-1957-l-2b-flying-jacket/

And if you want my personal assistance, then I need your weight, waist measure, chest measure, type of fit desired, and type of clothing to be worn normally withe the L-2B.

As for the A-2 being stretched into cooler temps, I haven't tried fleece but I do wear an AAF C-2 wool sweater, which is very body hugging, providing some degree of extra insulation, and intended for wear under flying jackets such as the A-2. The C-2 buys me about 10-15 degrees worth of additional use on the A-2. How much more life on the cold end of the scale will that fleece provide you?

CBI

One Too Many
thanks for the info. on sizing

I could not say for sure who many degrees the fleece added to my A-2 cold temperature levels but it really helped. The only downside is fleece is not a "vintage" item but that's OK with me. I hate to say it but I prefer fleece in general to wool at least in regards a pullover. My vintage wool sweaters get no use any more (they have mostly been sold off). I used to own an original C-2 sweater. Not sure but thin fleece seemed to work better (for me anyway).

Again, great info and pics. I need to contact you about a BR B-10

Stand By

One Too Many
It's a great colour.
May I ask, is it warmer than an L-2A ? (am wearing my Buzz L-2A that I bought from you every day and loving it. It's perfect for this time of year and I love the blue!)

bn1966

Found my Buzz L-2A to be a bit longer than my service issue L-2Bs. I'm 5.10 :)

CBI, how did you find the C-2 sweater? I ask because Pike Bros have started selling replicas.

Last edited:

bn1966

It's a great colour.
May I ask, is it warmer than an L-2A ? (am wearing my Buzz L-2A that I bought from you every day and loving it. It's perfect for this time of year and I love the blue!)

Yep....I'm loving that Blue...led to N-3A & N-2A purchases.

HPA Rep

Vendor
thanks for the info. on sizing

I could not say for sure who many degrees the fleece added to my A-2 cold temperature levels but it really helped. The only downside is fleece is not a "vintage" item but that's OK with me. I hate to say it but I prefer fleece in general to wool at least in regards a pullover. My vintage wool sweaters get no use any more (they have mostly been sold off). I used to own an original C-2 sweater. Not sure but thin fleece seemed to work better (for me anyway).

Again, great info and pics. I need to contact you about a BR B-10

I certainly don't eschew non-vintage fabrics such as fleece, though I do tend to prefer the overall aesthetics of vintage styles. The C-2 is something I really, really enjoy wearing, largely because it fully zips and is easily removed and put on, and it fits so snugly without bulk as a layer under snug-fitting jackets such as the A-2 or my new-found love in the ELMC Californian jacket; the fact that the C-2 is period-correct is a bonus. My C-2 is also an original, but I have a Buzz Rickson's in navy and in black for other color combinations. Fleece may well be superior to the C-2, and if I could find one that hugs my body as well as the C-2 and has a full zip, I'd give it a go. Any thoughts?

I have fit images to post of the Buzz Rickson's Rough Wear B-10, which I hope to do this week, then you can compare this version to the top-selling Superior Togs.

HPA Rep

Vendor
It's a great colour.

Standby, I happy you've found a soft spot in your heart for our L-2A and thank you for the valued purchase. The L-2A remains #1 in sales of the three "L" series jackets - people just love the blue, as do I.

The insulation and overall warmth seems to be equal among all of the "L" series jackets, based on my own experience. I vividly recall wearing the L-2A when I was leading a "Band of Brothers" battlefield tour in Europe one September and had on just a tee shirt and heavy-weight corduroy shirt when we got to the top of Hitler's Eagle's Nest; there was snow on the ground and clouds drifting past us at even-level altitude, but I wasn't the least bit cold in the L-2A. That event solidified the L-2A as my travel-all jacket for most weather conditions.

Stand By

One Too Many
Standby, I happy you've found a soft spot in your heart for our L-2A and thank you for the valued purchase. The L-2A remains #1 in sales of the three "L" series jackets - people just love the blue, as do I.

The insulation and overall warmth seems to be equal among all of the "L" series jackets, based on my own experience. I vividly recall wearing the L-2A when I was leading a "Band of Brothers" battlefield tour in Europe one September and had on just a tee shirt and heavy-weight corduroy shirt when we got to the top of Hitler's Eagle's Nest; there was snow on the ground and clouds drifting past us at even-level altitude, but I wasn't the least bit cold in the L-2A. That event solidified the L-2A as my travel-all jacket for most weather conditions.

Thanks for clarifying the warmth value.
And the pleasure's all mine on the business. :)
The Buzz A-10 gloves from you have also put in sterling service over this last brutally cold and long winter too. Money well spent!!!

HPA Rep

Vendor
Found my Buzz L-2A to be a bit longer than my service issue L-2Bs. I'm 5.10 :)

CBI, how did you find the C-2 sweater? I ask because Pike Bros have started selling replicas.

I saw Pike Bros. with these, too, and I've been curious to get feedback on one. I've yet to find a repro that truly emulates the wool and fit of the vintage C-2s; Buzz Rickson's fit is quite good, but the wool is more coarse and a bit heavier vs. vintage.

Vintage C-2s show up rarely, especially if you want one that's mint; I suspect wear and tear and insects have taken their toll of these. Though all vintage C-2s don't have those Waldes Kover-Zip zippers, the majority I've bought and sold do, which is an extra layer of cool fascination with the C-2. If you go hunting for a vintage C-2, please remember that they are meant to be very hugging - a second skin - so even a size 44 on me is snug, but the one I wear is a 40 and it fits like a wet suit. The two I own (one for wear, one in the collection) were bought from military shows in the early 1990s, but I've gotten them from friends, veteran estates, Manion's, Ebay, etc.

CBI

One Too Many
Great news to see BR RW B-10 pics. If all works well, I would like to order one. I will stay tuned!

Stand By

One Too Many
Yep....I'm loving that Blue...led to N-3A & N-2A purchases.

Oh, I can well imagine! And as I know you have a knack for turning up good nylon stuff, if you ever come across a nice vintage N-3A in good condition in a medium, please let me know ! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner