Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Byrnie Utz in Seattle

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Still collecting dough

mcddyea said:
I'm heading to Seattle tomorrow, and wonder if Byrnie Utz is still at 310 Union. Does anyone have an update on them? Last I heard, their lease was expiring.

Thanks.

When Chucklehead was here last weekend he bought a hat there, doh my hostessing.....should have taken Scotrace there, next time.

handlebar bart said:
Another hat shop in Seattle????????????

Yeah, the guy was in the Corner Market Building (or was it the Sanitary Market Building? They're right next to each other) just about forever. I believe the shop was there just about forever, anyway. At least well before the market was "saved," back in the '70s, when respectable people didn't go near the place. (Which means I practically lived there back then. It was short downhill stroll from my flop, right off Belmont & Pike, and a quick bus ride back home.) It was a clean-and-block shop, not a new-hat retailer.

The business ended up in the hands of a young(ish) woman, who shut it down about half a dozen years ago. Wish I knew what became of the equipment.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Wish I knew what became of the equipment.

Believe it or not, most of it went on to Ebay Tony. She sold the cleaning equip when she bought the biz ( to my chagrin) but I don't know to who. She didn't want to deal with the chemicals and wanted to change the shop to a "new hat" shop only. I bought alot from her at that time ( blocks & flanges) and was given the chance to buy her conformer ( didn't have the money at the time) when she closed doors. The rest? I dunno...there wasn't that much there.

Well, yeah, it all did get a bit confusing there at the end. I recall stopping by the place during business hours and finding it closed.

I can't complain about today's prices of hatting equipment, the same stuff that could be had for significantly less back when people weighed whether they should attempt to sell it or use it for firewood. I figure that it's now selling for amounts more reflective of its real worth.

Still kicking myself for not snapping up that assortment of gear that was first offered here, in the FL classifieds, before it went to eBay. All that kept me from going for it was that it was in Indiana, and it would have cost nearly the purchase price to get it out here. But one of the good guys ended up with it, I think.

Will Morgan

Vendor
Must catalog David's hat making equipment, we are planning on seeing what the Museum of History and Industry has.

Here's an old article on Herman Helmun and The Eclipse Hat Shop, we used to refer people to him for blocking and cleaning:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/archives/1989/8901270435.asp

Byrnie Utz is doing great... they have a good selection of Akubras too.

The other hat guy in Seattle is Alex Conley who makes hats to order, I like him a lot and his workshop is on an interesting street not too far from downtown towards Lake Washington: http://www.halcyon.com/hatter/about.html

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
And God help you if you even LOOK like you are gonna grab a hat by the crown. Don't even think the thought

hahaha! So true! I was reprimanded by the Bernie Utz Hat Dominatrix for doing just that! I felt like I had pee'd on the carpet.

Anyway, speaking of SEATTLE. Does anyone know of a good HAT BLOCK/repair service in Seattle I could take my vintage '50s Stetson Fedora to, it's in dire need of a tuneup!
Eric

DickWhitmanMM said:
hahaha! So true! I was reprimanded by the Bernie Utz Hat Dominatrix for doing just that! I felt like I had pee'd on the carpet.

Anyway, speaking of SEATTLE. Does anyone know of a good HAT BLOCK/repair service in Seattle I could take my vintage '50s Stetson Fedora to, it's in dire need of a tuneup!
Eric

Just sent a PM in response to your message to me, Dick. For the benefit of others, Alexander Conley of Conley Hat Mfg. is still doing business up in Madrona, at 1112 34th Ave. His phone # is (206) 322-1868.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DickWhitmanMM said:
Eric

It sounds like that's exactly one of the services Conley's supplies. You might also call Byrnie's and ask if they do it or who they recommend.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think what you're talking about are cardboard rings between the brims so they're kept stacked but separated. It would be easy to make similar from cardboard strips and a couple staples, some glue or tape.

airspirit

New in Town
I'm heading down there this morning (should be in about 10-11ish or so with my little one) to find my first felt hat. (Yay!)

When I was down there there was a youngish gal that was utterly amazing in her knowledge and handling of hats. Maybe it was just from a newbie's eye, but I was utterly blown away! The two young guys actually wearing hats in there, however, acted clueless and I suspected both were quite high.

Perhaps that young lady is the hat dominatrix that you refer to, because she gave me the firm (but friendly) lecture upon entry (and eyed my toddling daughter warily). While the service of the two young men was severely lacking, I sincerely hope that young lady is working again today, because her level of service is beyond compare.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I posted earlier about the young Lady! I agree she knows her stuff; she's the one who placed a nice diamond bash in the lightweight Borso without even looking at the hat. We also had a nice conversation about early stetsons. The young guys are taking up space but the two women in the shop are worth talking to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy