Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal-Leather

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I imagine it would be a lot easier to emulate machine stitching if you use leather needle, or modify sewing machine needle with a handle. needle with hole near the tip.
I used a curved upholstery needle so I could go through all the layers of leather using the original stitching holes. I wanted to try to re-sew the seam sections without creating any new holes in the leather. It worked, but only because I had a lot of time to work really slowly and good magnifying glasses to see the stitching details.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f4b.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f54.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f45.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f53.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f59.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f44.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f5d.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f4d.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f47.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f4c.jpg

Star Glove cross zip I have this jacket about 15 years it is my second Star Glove in excellent vintage condition no sign of stress on leather. I purchased on eBay from sellers "pat & mike" Pat & mike brought this on eBay about 6 months before posting it for sale on eBay. I bid against pat & mike the first time it was on the bay the second appearance I was more aggressive. I think I paid about $380 just over $100 more then pat & mike paid 6 months previous.
I have always wondered if the sellers were the say pat & mike referenced in Rin's first book.

Last edited:

jonbuilder

Cal Cafe Racer purchased from FLs own monitor also previously worn by FLs' ton. This is the nicest Cafe Racer I have owned including an original Buco J-100 and Himel CR along the lines of the J-100, but the Himel is still new and I have not given it a chance to rub off on me it's still summer weather but the Hinel is lighter like the J-100 and could become
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f4e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f52.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f48.jpg
my go-to jacket spring and fall

@jonbuilder I can't believe that cross-zip Star Glove only set you back what it did (no matter that it was 15 years ago). What an amazing jacket. The straight-zip Star Glove is cool, but that cross-zip is another thing altogether. Top tier, grail, next level, whatever...just perfect.

The three-pocket Cal also is beautiful. I'm always on the hunt for one. Not one you often see. Another awesome jacket.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to pull my two remaining Cals out of the closet and stare at them.

sweetfights

Cal Cafe Racer purchased from FLs own monitor also previously worn by FLs' ton. This is the nicest Cafe Racer I have owned including an original Buco J-100 and Himel CR along the lines of the J-100, but the Himel is still new and I have not given it a chance to rub off on me it's still summer weather but the Hinel is lighter like the J-100 and could become View attachment 249165 View attachment 249166 View attachment 249167 my go-to jacket spring and fall

OUTSTANDING jacket and fit. Jealous!!!

Doh! I should learn to read. LOL. Cal makes/made some of the best riding jackets ever. Especially the early SG labeled HH. I had one in a 42” long and it was hands down the nicest piece of HH I’ve ever handled. Just annihilated anything from any maker, new or old. Sadly I don’t have very good pics of it. Thickest, stiffest, most ass kicking leather ever. Made LW feel like an Izod windbreaker. I sold it for a tidy sum and have never been able to duplicate it. Absolutely unmatched in every regard. And I bought it off my neighbor!

regius

Straight zip Cal I feel badass when wearing this jacket heavy horse like the star glove. The Talon zip looks to be an old replacement done poorly. I have just over $100 into this jacket including having the zip restitched. View attachment 249162 View attachment 249163 View attachment 249164
Jon, I can’t help but notice in two of your posts with three/four photos, the one photo with arm raised is in a different jacket? Some photo shows no belt, shirt cuff, some photos with zipper cuff with belt/half belt.

sweetfights

Cal Cafe Racer purchased from FLs own monitor also previously worn by FLs' ton. This is the nicest Cafe Racer I have owned including an original Buco J-100 and Himel CR along the lines of the J-100, but the Himel is still new and I have not given it a chance to rub off on me it's still summer weather but the Hinel is lighter like the J-100 and could become View attachment 249165 View attachment 249166 View attachment 249167 my go-to jacket spring and fall

I cannot help but say that outstanding Cal Cafe Racer, fits/looks just like the Himel Kensington except for the shoulder gusset/back seam. You and I are attracted to the same subtle cafe racer elements.

Last edited:

jonbuilder

Actually I think two of those passed through my doors!! The CR I sent to monitor. Both stellar jackets and perfect Cals. I have very few regrets in this hobby but selling that crosszip is one. But if it stays in the family...it is good!
View attachment 249258 View attachment 249259 View attachment 249260 View attachment 249261
Hay ton My three-pocket Cal is the same jacket you sold. I verified by zooming in on the picture of the cal label you posted here. Identical stitching and folding of the label ends under the label

jonbuilder

Jon, I can’t help but notice in two of your posts with three/four photos, the one photo with arm raised is in a different jacket? Some photo shows no belt, shirt cuff, some photos with zipper cuff with belt/half belt.
I fixed it my Aero Connolly portman's jacket snuck in the show three lashes

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112