Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal-Leather

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Sunshine for the first time in forever allowed for some photos of this brown Cal that arrived earlier this week:
IMG_20200202_134057852.jpg
IMG_20200202_134141121.jpg
IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG

Decent heft to the hide at 5+ pounds, yet fully broken in and easy to wear. Main zip is a little finicky but works with a little patience. There are provisions for a snap on collar, so I might look to add one in the future.

The original laces were missing so please excuse my temporary stop gap solution. I bought a mixed bag of leather scraps on the cheap at a craft store and that was was the best of the lot.

Not really a fan of the patch either although after seeing it in person it's not as bad as I was expecting. It looks clean, so I'm thinking it was a relatively recent addition. Thinking of ripping the stitches and removing it but undecided at the moment.

Yes, it has some flaws, but all in all I'm quite happy with this jacket.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Sunshine for the first time in forever allowed for some photos of this brown Cal that arrived earlier this week:
View attachment 210472 View attachment 210473 View attachment 210474 View attachment 210475
Decent heft to the hide at 5+ pounds, yet fully broken in and easy to wear. Main zip is a little finicky but works with a little patience. There are provisions for a snap on collar, so I might look to add one in the future.

The original laces were missing so please excuse my temporary stop gap solution. I bought a mixed bag of leather scraps on the cheap at a craft store and that was was the best of the lot.

Not really a fan of the patch either although after seeing it in person it's not as bad as I was expecting. It looks clean, so I'm thinking it was a relatively recent addition. Thinking of ripping the stitches and removing it but undecided at the moment.

Yes, it has some flaws, but all in all I'm quite happy with this jacket.

Patch likely conceals holes from a removed badge holder.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Shucks, the very first thing I thought of when I saw this - "Who would put the HD tag on this beautiful gem of a vintage Cal Jacket?" Then I saw Guppy's response and it makes a lot more sense. Still a great piece, should be good to wear it as-is!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Looks like a beautifully broken in black Cal CHP. Or is it truly brown? Either way, beautiful jacket, even with the patch. So cool.
Pretty sure it started out as a dark brown, but my eyes may be deceiving me. I'll have to check behind the collar.

Regarding the patch, I very well may end up keeping it as I tend to prefer preservation. It lived a life before me (looks like a good one), I'm just a temporary steward at the moment.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I picked up a jacket that I think is a Cal Leathers over the weekend when I was in Sacramento at a vintage shop. I had been eyeing a couple of their other jackets, but never liked them enough to go ahead and buy. As soon as I saw this jacket, I liked it. The liner has some damage and the pockets need some re-stitching around the zippers, but I am willing to invest a little in fixing this up. The fit is just perfect, even in the arm length, which is tough for me with vintage jackets. The tag is a Star Glove and Leather, which I think was their name back in the 1940s-50s. It looks to be like the LAPD model currently on their website, but has snap cuffs like the classic jacket. I’ll upload pics when I figure out the new system to upload through the website.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I picked up a jacket that I think is a Cal Leathers over the weekend when I was in Sacramento at a vintage shop. I had been eyeing a couple of their other jackets, but never liked them enough to go ahead and buy. As soon as I saw this jacket, I liked it. The liner has some damage and the pockets need some re-stitching around the zippers, but I am willing to invest a little in fixing this up. The fit is just perfect, even in the arm length, which is tough for me with vintage jackets. The tag is a Star Glove and Leather, which I think was their name back in the 1940s-50s. It looks to be like the LAPD model currently on their website, but has snap cuffs like the classic jacket. I’ll upload pics when I figure out the new system to upload through the website.
If you have the images on your hard drive, simply click on "Upload An Image" choose which image you want, and then click on "Choose" in the bottom right of your screen. You will then be taken back to your message where you can choose "Full Image" or "Thumbnail." I prefer the full image as it is viewable immediately.

Star Glove=HOME RUN! I look forward to the pictures.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
If you have the images on your hard drive, simply click on "Upload An Image" choose which image you want, and then click on "Choose" in the bottom right of your screen. You will then be taken back to your message where you can choose "Full Image" or "Thumbnail." I prefer the full image as it is viewable immediately.
I am trying to work through my iPhone, which I think is blocking the upload tool. Let me know if anyone knows a good workaround. Worst case scenario, I can transfer to my computer and upload tonight.

SinSir

A-List Customer
I am trying to work through my iPhone, which I think is blocking the upload tool. Let me know if anyone knows a good workaround. Worst case scenario, I can transfer to my computer and upload tonight.

Maybe file size too large? I upload screenshots.

Nice score, looking forward to pics!

Beautiful, what a find. The vintage shops in northern Cal seem to be full of treasures. thanks for sharing, one of my favorite jackets.

I would contact Johnson Leathers in San Francisco to see what they say about the pockets. You may be close enough to take a drive over. Let them sort you out.

Gamma68

One Too Many

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Anybody know whether this zipper pull has a specific name? I’m pretty sure it is Talon, like the other zippers on the jacket. I need to find a replacement pull for the other pocket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 801

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Carlos, do you possibly know where to find those 4-dots pins which are usually on epauletts and on both ends of pocket zippers on 40s Harley-Davidson and Buco. Though seems Buco used those 4-dots pins more widely around their jackets, at least LW repro has a lot of them all around their J-24 repro:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-black-horsehide-size-44.100199/#post-2653510
Need 3-4 those 4-dots pins 'cause part of them are missed/was lost from my old jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, do you possibly know where to find those 4-dots pins which are usually on epauletts and on both ends of pocket zippers on 40s Harley-Davidson and Buco. Though seems Buco used those 4-dots pins more widely around their jackets, at least LW repro has a lot of them all around their J-24 repro:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-black-horsehide-size-44.100199/#post-2653510
Need 3-4 those 4-dots pins 'cause part of them are missed/was lost from my old jacket.

Sorry, i have no idea.
I would ask Stuart, he might sell you some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points