Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal-Leather

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@ksozay , might know more? He's ordered a couple of jackets somewhat recently from Cal.

I have been trying to reach them a few months ago but never got a reply. The email they've replied to me through before doesn't exist anymore. I hope they're still in business. It'd be a damn shame to lose them...

Same, i sent at least three emails asking for information on jackets they sell used, have tried calling, never managed to get an answer...

Pretty sure they are still operating. It may take awhile, but I do receive responses to my emails. Plus their IG and FB accounts are periodically updated. Not a good sign that inquiries about new builds or vintage purchases are not answered.

roadking04

Practically Family
Pretty sure they are still operating. It may take awhile, but I do receive responses to my emails. Plus their IG and FB accounts are periodically updated. Not a good sign that inquiries about new builds or vintage purchases are not answered.

Exactly right J. I was seriously thinking about going all in on a build with these guys. Don't think I could take the risk. If its this hard to order a jacket, how hard is it going to be to communicate with them after a deposit? Their leather looks amazing in pics. I just wanted to tweek a few things. Such a shame.

I also tried calling Bates to no avail. Their voicemail said to try their email. I hope they are not going down the same path.

Definitely concerning. I expect quick communication if you’ve got my money. That said, far as I can tell the jackets they currently build are special. Tough decision. It’s one of many reasons why I dig LW, Stu pings you back quick, even on a Sunday.

It'd suck real hard if Bates went under. Thing is, nobody makes a jacket like Bates and I fear that the art will be lost. There are a lot of good makers out there but that Bates CR I had was seriously the best designed jacket I've ever held in my arms. I think that back in the days, they could've easily be making NASA flight-suits or something, how good their leather gear is. It's hard to tell from the pics if you haven't handled their jackets but... Yeah. Another level altogether.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Definitely concerning. I expect quick communication if you’ve got my money. That said, far as I can tell the jackets they currently build are special. Tough decision. It’s one of many reasons why I dig LW, Stu pings you back quick, even on a Sunday.
Yep, that’s one of the things that makes Langlitz so nice to deal with. Emails answered promptly and somebody there to talk to during business hours.
I spoke to the folks at Cal Leathers a couple years ago when I got my vintage Cal from ksozay because I wanted to see about having them make a new mouton color for it. The phone was answered but subsequent communication to iron out the details was a bit spotty. I ended up having my local tailor make me a collar with vintage brown mouton.

Did someone find out of Cal is still operational?

My most recently acquired jacket.

20191101-100403.jpg

20191101-100442.jpg

20191101-100451.jpg

20191101-100502.jpg

20191101-100529-0.jpg

20191101-100719.jpg

20191101-100727-1.jpg

20191101-100739.jpg

20191101-100746-1.jpg

20191101-100751-1.jpg

20191101-100934.jpg

20191101-100540.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
They are. PM me if you want me to reach out to Gwen, I can usually get through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to admit that's not normal...
You shouldn't have to PM some dude on a weird forum to get in touch with a store! (especially if he is called Keyser Soze)
I have sent three emails and called a few times and everything was ignored, after the whole Goodwear debacle that doesn't make me want to put any money down.

ksozay

One Too Many
You shouldn't have to PM some dude on a weird forum to get in touch with a store! (especially if he is called Keyser Soze)
I have sent three emails and called a few times and everything was ignored, after the whole Goodwear debacle that doesn't make me want to put any money down.

I’m not defending proper business etiquette. I have built a relationship with the owner of the company through the purchase of many products. And if I can help someone here, get in touch with that company, I’m offering my assistance.

If having to go through some dude on a weird forum to make contact is off-putting, I’d be hard pressed to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What exactly do you mean by weird forum???
This is just a bunch of totally average Joe’s (Who have on average 5 to 25+ leather jackets) getting together to discuss the finer points of fit and everything else under the sun.
And Ksozay is far from just some dude, he is a great guy who hooked me up with a sweet deal on my very first vintage Cal Leather cross zip!
Now having said all of that, I agree that it is very unusual way for a company to conduct business if they really are trying to sell leather jackets...

mihai

A-List Customer
If Cal Leather wants to remain in business, they need to be responsive to direct customer inquiries, period.
Judging by the price of their jackets, they don't need to sell that many.
Perhaps they downsized the business, and they get plenty of business locally. It's possible they don't rely much on online.

Kane

One of the Regulars
I called them last week to inquire about bringing or sending a jacket in for a cleaning and resto work, and they answered and sounded fine. I think it’s a small operation that puts out a quality product and work on what ever time and resources they have at the moment. Give them another call...they were home last week.
And that is a very cool jacket. How old is it with those brass snaps?

Gamma68

One Too Many
Took a stab at this Cal CR earlier this summer hoping the seller's measurements were wrong. They weren't, so sadly this has been sitting in my closest because it's too small. Breaks my heart because it's a helluva jacket. Finally got around to taking some pics:
View attachment 193842 View attachment 193841 View attachment 193838 View attachment 193839 View attachment 193840

This will be listed for sale if anyone is interested.

Me! Depending on measurements, of course.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Me! Depending on measurements, of course.

It's tiny. I've dropped weight down to 145 and I can get it on, but it's a bit of a struggle to zip. The deal breaker is the sleeves are something like 22". If the sleeves weren't so short I'd keep it and never let it go. It's that nice of a jacket, and the one piece back is pretty rare from what I've read on here.

I'll get measurements later this evening and send them your way. Just about to sit down to dinner, then some time with the kiddos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff