Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal-Leather

Leigh H

Practically Family
Thanks to this thread, I bought this jacket when I saw it. I think it is a Cal, but I am wondering what others think. The back looks spot on like a six panel to me. Finally, the arms are long enough for me! The chest and shoulders are a little tight, but it also feels like it will ease up with a little wear. The zips are all Serval.
View attachment 494996
View attachment 494997
View attachment 494998

there's one of these on ebay right now,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265492884387

s-l1600_01.jpeg

s-l1600_02.jpeg

Leigh H

Practically Family
Here is that Star Glove straight zip that was on eBay a few weeks ago :) @Will Zach I couldn’t resist. It’s only just arrived.

Condition of the jacket is really good, leather hadn’t been cleaned and was very stiff, I’ve conditioned it with some urad tenderly. It should soften up like my cross zip did.

The crown zipper is sluggish and stiff, i think the teeth need cleaning. They’ve oxidised a little. I’m anxious when using these crown zippers, I know they are prone to breaking, I guess that’s why you don’t see many around on jackets anymore.

I’m not a big fan of epaulets but they don’t bother me as much now i see them. It’s always tempting to cut them off but I won’t.

It’s a heavy ba***rd, it feels like a tank. I imagine it protects you well in a motorcycle crash.

Well I think this is my last Cal / Star Glove jacket for a while now. I’m just about to check myself into a leather jacket rehab clinic.

This forum has been feeding my addiction too long.

Until next time!

8365CAD4-84AA-40F5-AF20-B33C88B5AD2A.jpeg
729B7788-A817-464D-9AD3-F682BA593EEB.jpeg

E335485B-3222-42C2-A65A-6F0209D5B4B1.jpeg
40EFEB54-0FFC-4CF6-902C-296F11357822.jpeg
3C45C146-7B95-4DB4-9CC4-59F5365C835C.jpeg
4C854ECA-FF2C-4EA0-9BBD-8A09E38BBECC.jpeg
A3D2C4F6-266D-4A2C-B3F2-9C4AE8EF1FA4.jpeg
6C50D6E2-1540-45E5-999E-AE3F6A6DC993.jpeg
FA5ACE14-E812-4658-A315-6E881F42703A.jpeg
6B2F8EB4-2ACB-40AF-AAA5-18F7F112C0FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Here is that Star Glove straight zip that was on eBay a few weeks ago :) @Will Zach I couldn’t resist. It’s only just arrived.

Condition of the jacket is really good, leather hadn’t been cleaned and was very stiff, I’ve conditioned it with some urad tenderly. It should soften up like my cross zip did.

The crown zipper is sluggish and stiff, i think the teeth need cleaning. They’ve oxidised a little. I’m anxious when using these crown zippers, I know they are prone to breaking, I guess that’s why you don’t see many around on jackets anymore.

I’m not a big fan of epaulets but they don’t bother me as much now i see them. It’s always tempting to cut them off but I won’t.

It’s a heavy ba***rd, it feels like a tank. I imagine it protects you well in a motorcycle crash.

Well I think this is my last Cal / Star Glove jacket for a while now. I’m just about to check myself into a leather jacket buyers rehab clinic.

Until next time!

View attachment 508001 View attachment 508002
View attachment 508003 View attachment 508004 View attachment 508005 View attachment 508006 View attachment 508007 View attachment 508008 View attachment 508009 View attachment 508011
Oh my, I was very tempted by this jacket but they wouldn't do international shipping. Very glad somebody from the Lounge got it so I can drool at these photos, wow! Grail jacket!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Well I think this is my last Cal / Star Glove jacket for a while now. I’m just about to check myself into a leather jacket buyers rehab clinic.

Until next time!

View attachment 508003 View attachment 508004 View attachment 508005 View attachment 508006 View attachment 508007 View attachment 508008 View attachment 508009 View attachment 508011
It's okay, @Leigh H , not my size...:). But my gosh, it is a tank! No skived seams for Star Glove! Awesome.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

Well I think this is my last Cal / Star Glove jacket for a while now. I’m just about to check myself into a leather jacket rehab clinic.

Until next time!

As good as they get. Excellent quality! Looks great on you.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I wondered if it's the actual jacket, then i noticed it has the same crease mark on the collar.

View attachment 511602 View attachment 511604

That is the same jacket. I have been to the museum and seen it as well. I also Confirmed with the nice people at Cal. in person when I spoke to them. My question was about the Conmar zipper. I always known it was a conmar but my buddy bet 100 dollars it was a Talon. From the Time magazine, the puller was the answer. However, my friend would just not accept it. I believe it was due to the fact he owned a 1950s with a nice talon. My friend is no longer with us and his cool jacket was passed to his grandson who rocks it as it should.

Leigh H

Practically Family
That is the same jacket. I have been to the museum and seen it as well. I also Confirmed with the nice people at Cal. in person when I spoke to them. My question was about the Conmar zipper. I always known it was a conmar but my buddy bet 100 dollars it was a Talon. From the Time magazine, the puller was the answer. However, my friend would just not accept it. I believe it was due to the fact he owned a 1950s with a nice talon. My friend is no longer with us and his cool jacket was passed to his grandson who rocks it as it should.

You were right!

6D320AE1-C8F8-43E3-A5A1-CFB0C2439BAA.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Until next time!

That is a beauty, looks to have had limited use. I like the straight back hem, not the "duck tail". Though the jacket I'm wearing at the moment has one. (CSC, not a Star). This jacket has a Crown Zipper.

Does anyone have a verified date on the picture of Dean sitting on the Triumph?

@photo2u do you know the first years of this paper clip zipper introduction? I would assume Conmar was copying the Talon.

these paper clip zips are somewhat rare on 50s motorcycle jackets.

Leigh H

Practically Family

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a beauty, looks to have had limited use. I like the straight back hem, not the "duck tail". Though the jacket I'm wearing at the moment has one. (CSC, not a Star). This jacket has a Crown Zipper.

@photo2u do you know the first years of this paper clip zipper introduction? I would assume Conmar was copying the Talon.

I have a paper clip on one of my SGs the other two have Crowns

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

Paper clips were used in the early '40s. When I used to restore garments for my local aviation museum, I saw many paper clip zippers used in (talon, crown, and conmars) 40's military garments. In true honesty, as I stated before, conmar made excellent #10 military zippers. Durability-wise, conmar and talons have it over spring-loaded crowns. Reliability-wise, the none spring crowns are at the same level as the conmar and talon. However, The strongest military paper clip Zipper I have ever seen is still RiRi#10 with the metal riveted ends and the super strong wide teeth Talons. Lastly, the 50's military garment industry saw a vast use of #10 zippers used in the American field jackets. Ideal, serval, and others produced excellent zippers that are still in working order despite 60 to 70 years of service.

wide angle #10.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran