Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal Leathers and Al’s Leathers: are they “related”?

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I noticed that Cal Leather Jackets and Al’s Leather Jackets share the same location of Ventura California. Are they related or does anyone know anything about Al’s? Thank You
6296A844-6EE3-413D-9485-2D2D8CA2FD93.jpeg

Based on some online recce, I always suspected they were separate outfits building similar jackets. Both going after police contracts, etc. Because the jackets are nearly identical, I figured there had to be some type of overlap in their history, or shared employees. Whatever. Similar to Langlitz and Classic (they too had similar labels).

@TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead recently confirmed this after speaking with current Cal leadership. A former employee, or relative of a former employee, started Al's.

Both make excellent jackets. Really excellent. I'm partial to Cal's history but wouldn't kick an Al out of bed (even though I guess I did by moving one a while back, but it was just too large for me).

Wasn't Al a former Cal employee who left Cal and started, you've guessed it, Al Leathers? Or something like that. I think Al Leathers worked from the exact same set of patterns, while sourcing hide, hardware & other material from the same sources as Cal. Not 100% certain on this but I do recall reading / hearing something along these lines. I'm pretty sure @ton312 knows more.

All I know for sure is that without a tag, it is literally impossible to tell the jackets apart. They're identical down to pocket lining.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Wasn't Al a former Cal employee who left Cal and started, you've guessed it, Al Leathers? Or something like that. I think Al Leathers worked from the exact same set of patterns, while sourcing hide, hardware & other material from the same sources as Cal. Not 100% certain on this but I do recall reading / hearing something along these lines. I'm pretty sure @ton312 knows more.

All I know for sure is that without a tag, it is literally impossible to tell the jackets apart. They're identical down to pocket lining.

The one thing I'd note is that Al Leathers used YKK zippers and their belt pockets are top over bottom, whereas Cal's are typically found with different zippers due to their age, and their belt pockets are generally bottom over top. But these aren't differences of quality, just of design.

Next time I go to the Cal shop and if Gwen is there, I'll ask her. Her dad might know too.

I think the info about it being a former employee came from someone else. But makes sense.

Man, I coulda swore you posted that you already had this conversation with the dad, who I assume runs the upholstery outfit next door to Cal. Somebody did.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the old Cal stuff but I had zero success getting Gwen to respond to my attempts to communicate, including leaving messages with her employees, email and phone messages. Yes, I have six Cal / Star Glove jackets but I do not know other than the name and general patterns what similarities exist between the old Cal Leather and the new enterprise. The new CL certainly is not producing rock-solid motorcycle jackets in prolific numbers like the old CL.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Man, I coulda swore you posted that you already had this conversation with the dad, who I assume runs the upholstery outfit next door to Cal. Somebody did.
J max i posted this information. I asked Gwen while having a telephone conversation about als leather. She told me that a cal leather former sewer had a granddaughter who started al leather

photo2u

One Too Many
I have both jackets. Soon I will be visiting the shop. So if you have any questions, please let me know. Regarding the jackets. The Al's is a great jacket and uses the same lining of Cal's. The leather is a considerable step below the Cal's. The arms on the Al's leather are more trim than Cal's, as a rider I like that.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
What about Leather Man LAPD jackets from San Francisco. Were those made by Cal-Leather? Also was Leather Man a small chain with New York and a couple other shops as well or are those different ? Thank You

Leatherman jackets made by multiple makers, including Cal, maybe Al’s and definitely JL.

photo2u

One Too Many
I was seriously thinking in collaborating with Cal leather and making an LAPD with some of my upgrades.
1. 4.5+ Brown horsehide and their nice lining.
2. 50s Conmar Zippers all around. Including a paper clip puller for the main.
3. Solid brass #9 rivets for the belt loops reinforcement.
4. OD Text 90 Bonded nylon. Tex 105 is much nicer but...
5. Triangle point needle leather #22
6. Dot 50s black l24 snaps.
7. 50s brown mouton for the sleeves and removal collar.

Leather and lining will be on house product. The rest I will provide. I think this can easily be produce out in one day. Get measure and walk out with a smile on my face.

My Al’s dwarfs any Cal I’ve ever owned. I had a true 50’s, mint, 8lb Cal. My Al’s is at least a full 2lbs heavier. I don’t think that Al’s leather is inferior to Cal’s but it’s also very different. Cal is used HH during their heyday and Al’s is 100% super heavy (naked) cow.
The handwarmers on the Al’s are 1/2 leather lined. The collar is not shaped, nor sewn as well. The hardware, as mentioned, is almost strictly YKK. From what I’ve seen, I’d vastly prefer an Al’s to a modern day Cal.

photo2u

One Too Many
I like my Al's fit. However, the 50s Cals I own are much thicker and heavier leather my Al's. Maybe I should put a side comparison for those curios about them. I would agree with Ton, the Al's are no slouch. They are a quality product. For me, the best part of the design in the Al's are the arms. Specially towards the wrist. These jackets are tools for the user. At least for me, that is.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Leatherman jackets made by multiple makers, including Cal, maybe Al’s and definitely JL.
Is Cal Leathers signature feature the mouton inner cuffs or did those other makers use the mouton cuff and open cuff gussets design too . Thanks
39910FB5-0B53-45B6-9A51-B3A88C890208.jpeg

JL didn’t. They just looked like a JL jacket and had a pocket tag with M200, m500, etc. There is a padded Cal Leatherman for sale on eBay. XL. Sweeeet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB