Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California lawmaker proposes no spanking law.

Elaina

One Too Many
Dunno, isn't parenting supposed to be done bu responsible people? Hence, so too shouldn't spanking be done by responsible adult parents?

Bah. I have a boy in scouts that needs a good spanking. Getting called b**** and 'ho every couple of minutes gets old (as in "yo b****, I needs me some hep on this. I talking to you, 'ho.) But then, I also think the vast majority of parents needs to be spanked. Hard.

Elaina said:
Dunno, isn't parenting supposed to be done bu responsible people? Hence, so too shouldn't spanking be done by responsible adult parents?

Bah. I have a boy in scouts that needs a good spanking. Getting called b**** and 'ho every couple of minutes gets old (as in "yo b****, I needs me some hep on this. I talking to you, 'ho.) But then, I also think the vast majority of parents needs to be spanked. Hard.

:eusa_doh: [bad]

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Elaina said:

Obviously he's missing or ignoring the principles of scouting. And you're right, something's seriously wrong with that kid's parents if he's that disrespectful.

Looking back on childhood, I was spanked plenty. There was never any doubt in my mind that my parents loved me, and I knew exactly every time why it was happening, because they took the time to explain it. I knew I was getting exactly what my poor behavior warranted.

Proper discipline entails letting the child know why exactly the discipline is being given. It's not because the fire extinguisher was set off, it's not because kids rode around in shopping carts or put peanut butter in shopping carts, it's because children were told not to do something or knew not to do something and made the decision to do it anyway, in direct defiance of what they were told or what they understood to be wrong. The discipline used should be up to the parent's judgement, and should be sufficient to send the message that it should not happen again. The method used depnds on the child. Some need a simple reprimand and they'll be mortified that they let their parents down. Some will be willful and defiant enough that more drastic measures are needed...such as myself ;)

It's not up to the state to intrude this far into citizens' lives. The mantra 'think of the children, save the children!' can border on hysteria. It can be the paving company on that old higway to hell, Good Intentions Inc.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Yes, finally something we can all agree on. Children maybe or maybe not should be spanked. But bad parents deserve a sound thrashing.

Elaina

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
Obviously he's missing or ignoring the principles of scouting. And you're right, something's seriously wrong with that kid's parents if he's that disrespectful.

They're all new. Since this is happening, this week we're having Vintage night where they have to tell a story from someone old and then learning old manners.

I have a feeling I'm going to go from the best Den Mom ever to that mean lady tonight.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My brothers and sisters were spanked a lot and persisted in bad behavior to the point of government agencies getting involved. It seems to me that if kids keep misbehaving, whatever form of discipline being used isn't working.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I believe in spanking, but, it can never be done in temper. If I feel like I'm at the end of my rope, we both get a time out. There are times when I know that they know they did something they weren't supposed to... like hitting their sister, coloring on the wall, and temper trantrums (I will NOT put up with them), they know their going to get a spank on the butt. Other times, it's no t.v, or a toy gets put up for lesser offenses. NEVER EVER should a parent hit a kid. It's just not good for anyone. The whole idea of talking to a kid I find absolutely ridiculous, this is where I find the 'brats' of society linger.

Feraud

Bartender
Elaina said:
It sounds like your scout needs a sharp rap in the mouth but good.
Show him who the little b**** really is.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
re memory

carebear said:
I dunno, dinner wasn't punctuated by a spanking. That kind of focused the mind.

I can tell you the song my mom was singing the first time I woke up after being knocked unconscious (for the first time) when I was six (Itsy Bitsy Spider). Or how nice it was that my dad came and woke me up one night when I was five so I could watch "the tank parts" with him when Patton was on TV. Or when I was "helping" him build the deck one Saturday at five or six years old and he called a break so we could watch King Kong vs. Godzilla.

I only was spanked a few times. They reserved it for dangerous situations where I was tending to repeatedly act willfully. Me being fairly assertive and argumentative even at a young age and all. They never did it out of anger, it was used to give a physical component to a lesson, to increase the chance of me remembering the lesson when faced with the situation again and, yes, to provide deterrance. As non-punishing as the spankings were, I knew they weren't going to be softer if I broke the rules a second time.

I'll let your snide, implicit accusation of me of being a liar slide.

Your great memory for details of childhood is not unusual. My wife has enchanted me for years with a ton of "on the spot" reminiscenses of particular childhood moments. Then she can remember the name of sundry people and details of telephone numbers too!!! Oh to be seriously intelligent!

czack

One of the Regulars
I don't have any children, I was spanked as a kid. Based on my observations with parents and their young children the "timeout" doesn't work. In fact, I have many a meal ruined by children whose parents let them get away with everything short of arson. It just makes me cringe knowing I would have NEVER gotten away with that.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, HadleyH, impossible! There are great difficulties in criminalizing such spankings.

I imagine that one of the reasons this legisltation has surfaced has to do with the sharp increase in the numbers of child abuse. It spiraled upward astronomically when I was a social worker in the County of San Diego.

So, now, a legislator now thinks it would be best to ban all spankings.

But, the problem with that, besides the fact that many people use spankings to discipline their kids, is that it would cause a huge increase in "child abuse" cases. Social workers would have to investigate all of these and refer the parents to parenting classes and/or anger management classes, or whatever else is out there to attend.

Every county in California would have to hire more child protective service workers as the CPS staff now are over-loaded with child abuse cases. All those spankings would tie up staff and services, overwhelming even more an overwhelmed system. The cost to counties would also be formidable.

Worse, children who really do need intervention and services would likely be injured or die while county workers were tied up investigating all those benign spanking cases.

California seems to have more than a few propostions and potential legislations that are impossible to implement. This would be one of them.

karol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
Your great memory for details of childhood is not unusual. My wife has enchanted me for years with a ton of "on the spot" reminiscenses of particular childhood moments. Then she can remember the name of sundry people and details of telephone numbers too!!! Oh to be seriously intelligent!

:eek:fftopic: But mentioned in this thread, follow the link and you decide:)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15644

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Based upon my VAST experience (HA)

I have 2 kids. Both are generally well behaved. Spanked each of them once. Tried timeout a time or two. What I learned is that each child is different and requires different rewards and punishments. Some require spanking, and others don't. To try to legislate like this is asinine.

OBTW- I was not spanked when I was a kid, I was whipped. Vowed I would never, ever do that to my kids. And I haven't.

Cheers,

RC

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The problem these days is not that we don't spank the children. It's that we don't spank the grownups.

I'd advocate the return of the whipping post or the pillory, except that it's liable to promote the free reign of unreasonable authority and I'd likely end up in it. I got a mouth on me when bossed, I really do.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well, if Elaina was my den mother in scouts I'd be laughing so hard through out the meeting I don't think I could get a real sentence out.lol lol let alone say; "yo ho come here" bahahahahhhaah

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
The problem these days is not that we don't spank the children. It's that we don't spank the grownups.

I'd advocate the return of the whipping post or the pillory, except that it's liable to promote the free reign of unreasonable authority and I'd likely end up in it. I got a mouth on me when bossed, I really do.

lol lol lol You are too funny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic