Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californian Leather "Styled by Ronnie Reagan"

Anyone know about ol' Ronnie's deal with California Sportwear Co.? He's described on the label as "Warner Bros First National Star". Apparently Warner Bros stopped referencing First National (Who they took over) in the early 40s.

The jacket I own is late '30s to early '40s and is the absolute epitome of the jacket the '70s harked back to. This date would be right for the brief moment when Reagan could truly be considered a "Star".

So, who can tell me more?

bk

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Anyone know about ol' Ronnie's deal with California Sportswear Co.? He's described on the label as "Warner Bros First National Star". Apparently Warner Bros stopped referencing First National (Who they took over) in the early 40s.

The jacket I own is late '30s to early '40s and is the absolute epitome of the jacket the '70s harked back to. This date would be right for the brief moment when Reagan could truly be considered a "Star".

So, who can tell me more?

bk

Reagan was a sports announcer on the radio in the 30s. Maybe it's a throwback to his sporty past during the Warner years.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not likely. RR's radio years were 1933-'37 - not only in the depression, but in the midwest, a stubbornly marketing-resistant region that neither Hollywood nor New York media cared to appeal to.

Re First National, it was a theater chain that went into studio production in the mid '20s. It was a Warners subsidiary from 1928-'36. After '36 it ceased to be a separate entity; I believe it served as a brand name for B-features.

RR's breakout leading-man role was Kings Row (1942), billed as WB-First National. Before that I don't know whether he was big enough for national merchandising purposes or not.

From the wiki for First National. (But i'm really interested in when Reagan may have collaborated with California Sportwear Co. and whether he actually styled a line of leather jackets, as is claimed per label. I have seen one other jacket and it was vaguely similar in style to mine, but quite different, if that makes sense.)

Merger With Warner Brothers

With the success of The Jazz Singer and The Singing Fool, Warner Bros. purchased a majority interest in First National in September 1928.[6] Warner Bros. acquired access to the First National's affiliated chain of theaters, while First National acquired access to Vitaphone sound equipment. But the trademarks were kept separate, and films by First National continued to be credited solely to "First National Pictures" until 1936. Although both studios produced "A" and "B" budget pictures, generally the prestige productions, costume dramas, and musicals were made by Warner Bros., while First National specialized in modern comedies, dramas, and crime stories. Short subjects were made by yet another affiliated company, The Vitaphone Corporation (which took its name from the sound process).
In July 1936, stockholders of First National Pictures, Inc. (primarily Warner Bros.) voted to dissolve the corporation and distribute its assets among the stockholders, in line with a new tax law which provided for tax-free consolidations between corporations.[7]
From 1941 to 1958, most Warner Bros. films bore the combined trademarks "A Warner Bros.-First National Picture."[8]

bk

If you insist. But the jacket is unimportant. I want to know about Reagan's association with California Sportwear Co. Alan Ladd had a connection that's documented; but the Reagan one i can't find anything about.

ReaganGoat1.jpg

ReaganGoat2.jpg

ReaganGoat3.jpg

ReaganGoat4.jpg

bk

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket, Baron!

On a separate note, it was a good thing that AlanC made the clarification point that he did, otherwise this thread would be flooded with pics of Ronald Reagan. :D

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket.... I've long been one to prefer my leather either short, motorcycle and flying style, or long - think trench coat. I'm coming aroun the thes mid length types, though. I think the half-belt back helps the style a lot -too boxy, and they look like a cut-down, long overcoat to my eye. This one looks to me like something of a relative of the WW1 era flying jackets - somewhere between the Aero Barnstormer and the Bootlegger in style...?

fishmeok

Vendor
Baron Kurtz said:
If you insist. But the jacket is unimportant. bk

That jacket has some interesting features that I quite like- the offset zipper continuing up into the lapel, wide side panels, nice hourglass taper in the back. Looks like a very solid design. If you were in the states I'd be asking to borrow it for a pattern.

Californian jackets really seem to be some of the best I've seen for half belts, design-wise.
Cheers
Mark

Edward

Bartender
pipvh said:
Well, I thought it might be interesting in the context of RR's endorsing stylish leather clothing. I can't imagine the later Reagan being asked to endorse, say, Buco...

Ah, context.... now that's an interesting point. Certainly, as leather, and in particular black leather jackets evolved into the 'bad boy' uniform of choice, it probably is true that more conservative (small 'c') leaning folks might shy away from such associations.... Actually, I don't recall, now I think of it, seeing any high ranking US politician in leathers (though I'm sure photos exist!) outside of flying jackets, a la Bush Jnr, wich obviously have very different connotations (patriotism, support for the troops, etc). Struggling to place that image with thhe Brits either.... lol

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Just like now, it was actually pretty common for celebrities to endorse garment brands back in the day. Bob Hope's name appeared on a lot of casual wear labels - which range from really cool to just awful! If I remember correctly Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis "styled" some garments when they were a comedy duo that were pretty sweet.

I wonder how much hands on influence Regan had on this design? It's definitely a good looking jacket, and he was always a pretty snazzily dressed fellow.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Mr. Reagan used to wear a G-1. As I understand it all US Presidents (as Commander in Chief) and (at least in the case of Mrs. Nancy Reagan) First Ladies are 'issued' with a G-1.

Edward said:
Ah, context.... now that's an interesting point. Certainly, as leather, and in particular black leather jackets evolved into the 'bad boy' uniform of choice, it probably is true that more conservative (small 'c') leaning folks might shy away from such associations.... Actually, I don't recall, now I think of it, seeing any high ranking US politician in leathers (though I'm sure photos exist!) outside of flying jackets, a la Bush Jnr, wich obviously have very different connotations (patriotism, support for the troops, etc). Struggling to place that image with thhe Brits either.... lol

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
H.Johnson said:
Mr. Reagan used to wear a G-1. As I understand it all US Presidents (as Commander in Chief) and (at least in the case of Mrs. Nancy Reagan) First Ladies are 'issued' with a G-1.

JFK really liked his G-1. So did Father Bush. I think that Junior Bush, being a former Air National Guard pilot, wore a current issue A-2.

AF

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:

Interesting, I had assumed Bush II's jacket was a nod to his time in the services - though as Atticus notes, it could be something other than a G1. I probably don't recall the other presidents' jackets as I wasn't really interested in flying jackets back pre 2000ish.

I just found this from the Orlando Sentinel, 1987. No image fo the ad, unfortunately.

After the war, ex-servicemen on the GI Bill wore their flight jackets on campus, partly because they were comfortable, utilitarian garments, and partly because they had ''war hero'' written all over them.

''The fashion industry picked it up almost immediately and came out with a civilian counterpart,'' said Jack Hyde, a professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology, in New York. ''It was good looking then, and it's a classic today.''

A 1940s advertisement for one of these fashion-version flight jackets is now famous: It was run by the California Sportwear Co., and was modeled by a young contract actor by the name of Ronald Reagan.

And there is this of him wearing leather. It doesn' look unlike the one i have …

JaneWymanandRonaldReagan.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Really can see, from that photo, what they revived in the Seventies look, even if they didn't get it quite 'right'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany