Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all Aero Bootleggers, 1930s slim halfbelts, and Herculeses...

Rufus

Practically Family
Adam in Canada said:
What size is your jacket? I ask because I'm curious about the back length. I'm looking at building up a jacket very similar to your 1930s HB slimfit w/ bootlegger front. My Aero cafe racer is a 44; the back length, from neck seam to bottom, is about 27". I'm looking to make the jacket about an inch or so longer than my cafe racer at the back.

Do you have any photos of the jacket on you, in particular the back length? I'm not looking for the jacket to be short, or high-wasted, at the back.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, my apologies for the delayed reply.

Body is a good length, covering belt while wearing jeans.. I don't have a photo wearing it..will try and sort one out.

It's a Size 38, with one inch added to sleeves as I'm tall.

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Rufus said:
Adam, my apologies for the delayed reply.

Body is a good length, covering belt while wearing jeans.. I don't have a photo wearing it..will try and sort one out.

It's a Size 38, with one inch added to sleeves as I'm tall.

Thanks, Rufus. I'm just waiting on a reply from Mark Moye to confirm that my order's taken care of. I've gone with 27" in the back, which makes it the same as my Aero Cafe Racer, in vintage black HH.

I'm very excited and eager to have this!

Thanks for your help along the way.

Adam

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Rufus said:
My pleasure, I look forward to seeing your new jacket!

Me too, buddy, me too! I'm anxious and eager and trepidatious... I wonder if this is what it feels like to wait for a mail-order bride?

Of course, if this works, and I'm as taken with the fit and styling as I expect to be, I'm afraid to think of how quick a turnaround it will be before I order the same jacket in a different color vintage HH... brown? cordovan? Amusingly, Amanda at Aero has taken to calling this the "Frankenbelt".

My next adventure in made-to-measure will be a Wesco 9" boss engineer to wear with this jacket.

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Speak of the little devil... it's the waiting that's the worst!

The good folks at Aero came through... now, if only the good folks at Canada Customs would do the same and let my custom boot back on the pony express to my door, I'd be one happy guy!

Here are a couple advance shots of my custom vintage black horsehide 1930s slim fit bootlegger half-belt... as yet unworn:
Bootlegger_front.jpg

Bootlegger_back.jpg

Sigh... I just can't stand the wait... the weather's perfect now for this jacket, and we're expecting more snow, and wet snow, which means I'll have the perfect opportunity to go outside and roll around in the snow with the kids and get this thing good and broken in!

More upon arrival!
Adam

Corky

Practically Family
The Steve McQueen pic is from a movie...

..the actual garb in that camp was either a blanket or a coat, never both.

Two guys had to share a blanket in each bunk to keep warm.

Note that everybody in that film has perfect, clean outfits, except in the cave-in sequences.

rnrswitch

New in Town
I have a question regarding the sizing on Aero bootleggers or maybe just Aero jackets in general. Does a size 40 typically fit a size 40 chest, meaning it probably measures like 42 or 44 in the chest, or does a size 40 jacket measure 40 around the chest?

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi, You're best to send them your exact measurements (Talk to Amanda at Aero)..and they will size you.
They are very good, and on the one occasion I had a sizing problem with a jacket of theirs, they replaced it no questions asked, and very quickly.

My Aero Bootlegger's a 38" and and fits true to size, but thy can and do make adjustments for you to get correct fit.

rnrswitch

New in Town
Nah, the reason why I am asking is because I did order the bootlegger and I was told that a 40 should fit me fine after I gave the measurements. My chest measures about a 40 around.

When you say your 38 fits true to size, does that mean that if you lay it flat and measure across from pit to pit it measures 19in. Or is your chest size a 38 and it fits you well?

Thanks.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I can already see how hanging around this forum is going to get expensive. Couple of questions: once you settle on a size and configuration, how long does it take Aero to deliver the jacket to the states? Also, can anyone give me a rough conversion of pounds to dollars?

Cheers

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
I can already see how hanging around this forum is going to get expensive. Couple of questions: once you settle on a size and configuration, how long does it take Aero to deliver the jacket to the states? Also, can anyone give me a rough conversion of pounds to dollars?

Cheers
Yes, I've been thinking the same thing...although, in my case....it will STAY thinking. You can't spend what you don't have....however I went through the motions enough to go to Aero's site. They have a currency calculator RIGHT THERE for the likes of you! Roughly, right now, 1GBP - $1.50. Which, while not historically low....it pretty good. If you've got it: this might be the time to flaunt it....

"Skeet"

rnrswitch

New in Town
Doublegun said:

Cheers

Right now it is taking about 3-4 months for delivery, because of the exchange rate. If I were you I would look at purchasing a jacket through the US distributor Mark Moye(sp?). He will take care of you and you don't have to worry about shipping and customs. You can contact him through his site or on ebay.

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

Edward

Bartender
Oops, almost a year on, Edward finds this post and replies to it.... :eek:

Rufus said:
Tough choice Edward! LOL..

Yeah, I'm still weighing it up now (well.... that and the money for either / both hasn't fallen into my lap yet... lol ).

I have to admit... I can't see the fascination others have with the A2..it's an ugly jacket, and looks quite unflattering on most body shapes (Unless you're a 20 year old fighter pilot).

I know it's a historical thing... But I wouldn't buy one myself.

Horses for courses, and all that! To me it's a classic - though i'll readily admitg I associate it most rapidly with Steve MacQueen and 'Howlin' Mad' Murdoch ahead of any true historical leanings... I have a long list (well... okay, I've got it down to about nine....) of leather jackets on my 'to buy' list, most of them actually Aero designs. I can't shake wanting an A2, quite.... though I'm leaning more towards waiting and buying used on that score at the minute.... plenty of used A2s turn up in my sizing, not so many of the civvy designs like the Bootlegger and the Halfbelt...

I've got a B10 that I really love, it's functional, and well fitting (it's the japanese McCoys version).

Yeah, I have also fancied a B-10 since seeing yours - sometimes it's nice to wear something other than leather, just for a change. Just recently, I've been leaning more to the possibility of an early B-15 repro as opposed to hte B-10 - simply as they are more widely available, and also the factor you mention below - more of a civilian look.

I think a civvie jacket would suit you more, and you'd probably get more wear out of it! (Just going on what I've seen you wearing)

I know what you mean. I have an Aero AN6552 I wear a lot in the right weather conditions; a civilian look like the Bootlegger would be something a bit more different than what I already have, as opposed to an A2, and an A2 can always happen along later on....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner