Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all cars!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
You got it Paul. Goes bloody well although a tad on the thirsty side ;)
I drove older Mercedes (a 1984 and a 1986, then a 1997) for most of a decade, and studied up on the marque's history. Even with fuel injection the cars were thirsty, and for premium fuel, too.

There's a story, maybe not true, about a 300SEL 6.3, the same body as your car but with a huge (for those times) engine, that had no less than 3 famous owners -- including Werner Klemperer: http://mars.superlink.net/~rriegler/mb/6point3/rudi.html

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I drove older Mercedes (a 1984 and a 1986, then a 1997) for most of a decade, and studied up on the marque's history. Even with fuel injection the cars were thirsty, and for premium fuel, too.

There's a story, maybe not true, about a 300SEL 6.3, the same body as your car but with a huge (for those times) engine, that had no less than 3 famous owners -- including Werner Klemperer: http://mars.superlink.net/~rriegler/mb/6point3/rudi.html

Thanks for the link, I loved it.

That bit with Klaus Pach getting squiffy and ending up on the Le Mans racetrack is priceless!

Merlin

Familiar Face
You got it Paul. Goes bloody well although a tad on the thirsty side ;)

Nice! Back in the mid-90's, my daily driver was a 1971 M-B 280S. I've heard tales of other owners having problems keeping the twin Zenith carburetors in tune, but so long as I ran mine daily (or thereabouts), I never had problems - she always stayed in great tune. Never got much more than 15 mpg, though. Still, if I could find another Mercedes 108/109 bodied car in decent shape that the owner wasn't asking a mint for, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Rode like a dream, and handled like a car half its size.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice! Back in the mid-90's, my daily driver was a 1971 M-B 280S. I've heard tales of other owners having problems keeping the twin Zenith carburetors in tune, but so long as I ran mine daily (or thereabouts), I never had problems - she always stayed in great tune. Never got much more than 15 mpg, though. Still, if I could find another Mercedes 108/109 bodied car in decent shape that the owner wasn't asking a mint for, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Rode like a dream, and handled like a car half its size.

Hi Merlin,

I love mine and I agree with the handling, surprisingly nimble for a car of its size and weight. Real pleasure to drive.

Cheers and you might just have to get another one ;)

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails