Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all cars!

SteveAS

Practically Family
Here's a picture of the little woman and me with my 1938 Buick Special.

2012-09-09_16-20-42_751.jpg

Hiartz

New in Town
thanks for those kind words Smithy.
I've owned the car since 2004 and it still makes me smile and always gets a lot of attention when I go out - by the way thats my cottage in Anglesey, Wales built in 1780 , still with a lot of original features.
Another love of mine are my brace of '35 Hudson Terraplanes a convertible and a sedan. The sedan owned since 1968 and was my every day car. I used to leave it down the train station when I went up to London to work. I restored it in the 80s. The red convertible I've only owned for 20 years, not so straight as the sedan but is great fun to drive.
1935+Hudson+Terraplane+Convertible+Coupe.jpg
2012-11-11-terraplane%2Bside.jpg

HOP UP

Vendor
Great cars guys, keep em coming !!

I myself lean to traditional hot rods, 1940s Westergard styled customs and mid 1930s - late 1940s cars.

Here are mine.....

Pre WWII dry lakes roadster, 21 stud flathead, original 32 trans and rear end.

img0220iv.jpg
[/IMG]

54454710151294603922879.jpg

1932 Ford 3W coupe with (now) blown stroker 8BA flathead, built this one in my old one car garage :D

imgp1956u.jpg

resizeofblowerinstall01.jpg

1947 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe.....I drive this car EVERYWHERE.

img0066jbx.jpg

img0072ef.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Top 9 Dream cars. Plus 1 truck:

1. 1941 Oldsmobile Dynamic
664_IMG_0706.JPG

2. 1947 DeSoto
4906954449_4680590588_z.jpg

3. 1918 Cadillac Victoria Coupe
71967_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

4. 1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
4042623550_9947580aaa_z.jpg

5. 1949 Packard Custom Super 8 Victoria
4609303207_2e2f2f85d7_z.jpg

6. 1951 Nash Statesman
1135-201222294314_540x360.jpg

7. 1937 Hudson Terraplane
1013317398_040c1490ca_z.jpg

8. 1927 Lincoln Model L
autowp.ru_lincoln_model_l_limousine_1.jpg

9. 1961 Imperial
im1961crown53941718.jpg

10. 1918 Mack Bulldog
Mack.1918.ModelAC.Dump.009.jpg

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^When I was about 10 years old, my father and I happened to see a '36 Terraplane sitting in a Sears, Roebuck parking lot. And sitting inside of it was an elderly lady, perhaps the original owner. I've loved that model ever since. Here's a small, could-be-better photo of my baby: a 1951 Packard Patrician 400, in need of a paint job, but at least her motor is in top shape now. I've been tempted to change her to 12 volts, but now that I'm replacing the alternator, I think I'll stand pat...

40825161-3afd-4d77-89e5-8d1a5475d32e_zps9005bc4b.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
^^When I was about 10 years old, my father and I happened to see a '36 Terraplane sitting in a Sears, Roebuck parking lot. And sitting inside of it was an elderly lady, perhaps the original owner. I've loved that model ever since. Here's a small, could-be-better photo of my baby: a 1951 Packard Patrician 400, in need of a paint job, but at least her motor is in top shape now. I've been tempted to change her to 12 volts, but now that I'm replacing the alternator, I think I'll stand pat...

40825161-3afd-4d77-89e5-8d1a5475d32e_zps9005bc4b.jpg
Typo, I posted a 1937 Hudson, but the '36 is still a nice looking car! Your Packard is glorious by the way!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are my three “vintage” (old) cars.

I’ve had this ‘48 Plymouth Special Deluxe for about four years. I saw it sitting by the side of the road with a “for sale” sign and just couldn’t resist stopping and asking. I was surprised to find the price was well within what I could afford to spend (and well below the value of the car if I ever decided to sell). I’ve had a lot of fun driving it around. I try to get it out at least once a week for at least a 10 or so mile drive.

010_zpsf2979b87.jpg

I’ve had the ‘61 Chevrolet Bel Air in my possession for a little over a year. The car was my aunts, who bought it brand new. When she stopped driving the car was given to my sister, who drove it a couple years then parked it in a field behind her house. I wanted the car ever since I can remember, and finally my sister consented to sell it to me. By that time, the car had a lot of rust and didn’t run. After spending way more than I had planned, the car now runs like new. I’ve been able to address some of the rust issues, but just don’t have the money right now to restore the car the way I would like. Oh well, “one of these days.” I was very close to my aunt, and spent many miles riding with her in this old car. I consider getting it back a milestone in my life. The car now sits in the drive in the same place it always did when my aunt was alive. It’s good to have it “home” again. The ’61, like the ’48, gets driven on a weekly basis. I try to put 20 or so miles on it every week just to keep it running like it should.

61Chevy_zps4752d15e.jpg

This ‘65 Ford Custom 500 belonged to my other aunt. When she passed away in 1983, the car was given to me. I’ve been driving it ever since. When I got the car in 1983 it had 40,000 miles on it. Now, the car has 280,000 miles and I think it has another couple hundred thousand left to go. Up until four years ago, this car served as my full-time car. It has served me well over the years and has earned it’s “retirement” from a daily driver. It is still such a reliable car that it serves as my “reserve” in the event my “new car” (a ’99 Chevy Tahoe) is in the shop or otherwise not available for me to drive. The old ’65 is in need of a new paint job, as the color is faded and there are a few places where the primer is beginning to show through.

1965_Ford.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I’ve had the ‘61 Chevrolet Bel Air in my possession for a little over a year. The car was my aunts, who bought it brand new. When she stopped driving the car was given to my sister, who drove it a couple years then parked it in a field behind her house. I wanted the car ever since I can remember, and finally my sister consented to sell it to me. By that time, the car had a lot of rust and didn’t run. After spending way more than I had planned, the car now runs like new. I’ve been able to address some of the rust issues, but just don’t have the money right now to restore the car the way I would like. Oh well, “one of these days.” I was very close to my aunt, and spent many miles riding with her in this old car. I consider getting it back a milestone in my life. The car now sits in the drive in the same place it always did when my aunt was alive. It’s good to have it “home” again. The ’61, like the ’48, gets driven on a weekly basis. I try to put 20 or so miles on it every week just to keep it running like it should.

That one brings back a lot of memories -- we had a '61 when I was a kid, which my mother drove for about a year before driving it into the side of a house after the brakes failed. We got it used in 1967, and it was eaten thru with rust all along the rim of the fenders and along the rocker panels. Evidently the brake lines rusted out as well. There was something about those '60s cars that didn't like New England road salt at all.

rjb1

Practically Family
Agree on the '61 bringing back memories. We had a '61 station wagon that my dad bought new. Lots of fun to be had in a station wagon by a bunch of kids, including sitting in the back and reeling out stuff on string out the back window. Not safe, but fun...

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Here are my three “vintage” (old) cars.

I’ve had this ‘48 Plymouth Special Deluxe for about four years. I saw it sitting by the side of the road with a “for sale” sign and just couldn’t resist stopping and asking. I was surprised to find the price was well within what I could afford to spend (and well below the value of the car if I ever decided to sell). I’ve had a lot of fun driving it around. I try to get it out at least once a week for at least a 10 or so mile drive.

010_zpsf2979b87.jpg

61Chevy_zps4752d15e.jpg

This ‘65 Ford Custom 500 belonged to my other aunt. When she passed away in 1983, the car was given to me. I’ve been driving it ever since. When I got the car in 1983 it had 40,000 miles on it. Now, the car has 280,000 miles and I think it has another couple hundred thousand left to go. Up until four years ago, this car served as my full-time car. It has served me well over the years and has earned it’s “retirement” from a daily driver. It is still such a reliable car that it serves as my “reserve” in the event my “new car” (a ’99 Chevy Tahoe) is in the shop or otherwise not available for me to drive. The old ’65 is in need of a new paint job, as the color is faded and there are a few places where the primer is beginning to show through.

1965_Ford.jpg

Wonderful collection Big Man! I've really been wanting a '38-'53 Plymouth for a while and your '48 is a real gem!

Big Man

Agree on the '61 bringing back memories. We had a '61 station wagon that my dad bought new. Lots of fun to be had in a station wagon by a bunch of kids, including sitting in the back and reeling out stuff on string out the back window. Not safe, but fun...
My Dad drove station wagons from 1960 on. The first we had was a '60 Buick. Probably the ugliest station wagon ever built. After that he had a '62 Olds, then a '66 Olds, and a '68 Dodge. I remember well trying to "fly" model airplanes on a string out the back window of those wagons. Great fun, for sure.

Big Man

As to "dream cars": My Grandfather had a 1927 Oldsmobile, four-door sedan (he traded his 1922 Dodge Brothers touring car for the '27 Olds) that I would love to have. My Dad drove a black, four-door 1955 Olds 98. I remember the '55 Olds, and would like to find one some day. I'll probably come closer to ever owning the '55 Olds than I will the '27 Olds.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At the end of WW2, my father, who was a linguist, was kept on in the army to interrogate German soldiers, (He spoke Russian French, and most of the Latin based languages too.) He was also versed in ancient Latin, Greek & Hebrew, makes you sick, doesn't it?
An American Officer, who had had his Oldsmobile shipped over at the end of hostilities, sold it to Dad for a pittance, he just wanted out of Europe and home. I remember that car so well, but what I didn't know, until I saw something in my newspaper today, was The 1940 Oldsmobile Woody, was the first, fully functional, automatic transmission. Being a small boy back in the late forties, I wouldn't have had any idea if it was a manual or, as the advertising bumph read: Hydra-matic. All I knew is that Dad called it A Shooting Brake. 1940 Oldsmobile Woody

rjb1

Practically Family
Hydra-matics were GREAT transmissions. If you're an old-time drag racer (1960's) you remember the modified Hydra-matics known as Hydro-sticks. State of the art at the time. Even non-race cars such as a stock '55 Olds were very fast for their day. They literally don't make transmissions like that anymore.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My grandfather had a '61 Chevy like that black one, except it was white with a teal trim stripe, and my friend's father had a '61 Imperial just like the one above except it was black. Memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails